TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner and Gloves

Liked 1,520 in 789 posts

Default Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner and Gloves

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I bought the Gerbing gloves and jacket a three years ago (2005) when my long lived Giali kit finally wore out. Firstly the jacket.

Plug it into the supplied battery connection and it heats up. Sizing is a bit funny, I'm a slim 6'1 and wear a medium. The sleeves could be a bit longer, the neck a bit smaller and the body should be good if weighed 18 stone. The jacket has glove connectors at the end of the sleeves and a connector for the heated trousers at the waist. Gerbing give a lifetime guarantee on the wiring, which is lucky as I've had to return two with wiring faults.

Gloves are fairly thick leather with Thinsulate insulation. Claimed waterproof, they get soggy rather than leak but still stay warm. They connect into the jacket sleeves or with a seperated supplied cable. They're adequate for the coldest of days but I've had a lot of wiring failures. Gerbing say they had a dodgy batch of the wire for the heating elements which meant I went through 7 pairs in the first two years. Two failures last winter plus the pair I keep as a spare bring the glove total to 10. Again funny sizing, I wear a small where a medium or large in any other make would fit.

There is apparently a new version of the gloves due out shortly and I'll post up some more when I've tried them.

As for a recomendation, the kit is good when it works and it's always been replaced by return post when it breaks, so make your own mind up.

Oct 09. As winter is approaching I thought an update would be nice. The jacket was still going strong at the end of last winter, so no complaints.

I received a pair of the new gloves in Oct 08 and used them daily through the winter. The right glove failed at the end of winter but by that time I wasn't using them every day. The failure may have been down to a small off I had in December, but who knows.

Last winter was fairly shitty. The roads were salted earlier than I've seen for many years and were salted through till late March/early April. By this time the gloves were in a fairly trashed state anyway with the salt having taken a fairly toll on them. I've got another pair I'll use for this year but if they break early I'll dump them and buy Klan.
    Last edited by Pirahna; 02-10-09 at 10:41.

At Work
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Re: Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner and Gloves

Oh no, I'd seen these recommended, I had the dealership fit a socket on the bike so I wasn't even messing about wiring stuff to the battery. I froze last winter but really do want to make the most of things now I've a bit more experience this year. Will keep an eye on the thread to see what happens, I do need to find a 'small' (I'm women's size 6/ heated jacket (the sheer bulk of a lot of the winter stuff is such a hassle, just getting it on and off put me off last year). Best of luck with things this autumn xx

Liked 0 in 0 posts

This will be my second year with a Gerbing gilet and gloves. I absolutely adore them.

The key point is that I simply no longer get cold on the bike. Because the vest keeps one's core temperature from falling, circulation - and heat - does not get cut off and feet, hands legs and arm feel warm. The element in the gloves heats the back of the hand and fingers, so you don't suffer hot palms/cold knuckles as can happen with heated grips.

Reliability has been faultless so far, but I'll be keeping an eye upon the issues Piranha mentioned. It does pay to shop around. I found the gloves and temperature controller (yes, you really do need one) new and under rrp in the UK. The vest came from the US, it being relatively hard to find women's fittings this side of the pond.

It is worth noting that running the vest and gloves together will require a heavier fuse and also that the temperature controller needs to be mounted somewhere you can reach with your left hand when riding, as your comfort will depend on it.

Liked 1,520 in 789 posts

Thought I'd add a bit about the gloves.

I was sent a pair of the new design gloves towards the end of October, so they've had around 10 weeks use and havn't broken yet. They're very different to the old ones being an over the cuff design, mostly soft leather with some fabric on the top extending from just behind the knuckles to the end of the cuff. Sizing is the usual Gerbing, they come up big.

They never seem to get hot but I've been using them in temperatures just below freezing and havn't got cold hands yet, so they must be doing something right. They're reasonably waterproof. I'm only riding an hour each way but have had rain for the entire trip and they havn't leaked, but the leather does get a bit damp.

Overall they seem an improvement against the old style, I'll post again when I get any problems.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 81 in 43 posts

Just a follow-up, I was fortunate enough to borrow one of Piranha's spare pair of gloves and they are lovely. I confess that the left hand one died in March after around 3months use, but the leather was supple and it was really nice having warm hands.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Been using Gerbing jacket liner and older style gloves for about 3 years too. Never had a single problem and love them to bits.

Liked 63 in 38 posts

I've been using a liner and gloves for the last few weeks.

The only issue I have is with the dual controller where one controller has an intermittent issue. It's too cold to send it back at the moment but I will when I get a chance.

The jacket with heated coller and arms in addition to the normal front and rear is awesome. It's simply too hot to have on full and it heats up really quickly. The gloves seem to come up large so after trying a few I found the size I'm happy with. These also get really hot (hence I'd recommend a dual controller) and so far I haven't had any cold fingers or leaks.

Wireing it to the positive and negative points on the battery took just a couple of mins and it all plugs together nice and snuggly.

The jacket is the latest model where you don't have any hanging cables. You have a plug on the inside and can connect trousers etc too. It's also the new microwire system (as are the gloves) which apparently should avoid the previous issues with copper wires. The lifetime warranty ("only" 3 years on the controller is reassurring.

I'm very happy with the gear despite the minor controller issue that I currently have.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission