TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you enjoy "challenging" terrain?

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,685 in 2,250 posts

Default Do you enjoy "challenging" terrain?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I've come to the conclusion after 10 years of regular trail riding that I don't enjoy riding a trail bike in difficult conditions, I like riding fast easy sandy trails, with the odd slimy bit, I do not see the fun inriding a motorcycle through foot deep ruts of snotty mud, or trying to get up or down a steep, slippery chalk hill. I enjoy river crossings and riding in the snow but I can't see the point of getting soaked to skin and cold.

Maybe it's just me getting old but do people really enjoy a day of slogging through muddy ruts in the pissing rain?

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Re: Do you enjoy "challenging" terrain?

I like the slow challenging stuff, as there is less chance I will hurt myself when I inevitable bin it. being self employed, it is always in my mind the broken bones mean time off work, which means no money....yeah I know sad isn't it....

Quote Originally Posted by aceboy View Post
    I like the slow challenging stuff, as there is less chance I will hurt myself when I inevitable bin it. being self employed, it is always in my mind the broken bones mean time off work, which means no money....yeah I know sad isn't it....
    It isn't sad, it's sensible, after all you go trail riding for enjoyment. I was going to say I'm more likely to hurt myself in slow going but then I remembered that I fractured my humurus on the Ryedale Rally in 2002 when I was doing about 70mph.

Liked 7 in 5 posts

I would agree too.

I enjoyed Sunday, it wasnt manic, it was sometimes slow going, and slippery.

But was still a really good laugh, and there wasn't any major point when i thought... What the hell am i doing here??

More days like Sunday would be perfect...

Plus self employed here too, so getting hurt costs!!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

One man's challenge is another man's piss easy.

I like it to be "challenging" as in it makes me think and work hard but as long as I keep on top of it it's doable.
    I don't like it to be (practically) impossible tho. Soul destroying isn't my thing.

If I wanted easy however I would stick to the tarmac.

Liked 40 in 24 posts

i much prefer the slow nadgery stuff to the flat out fire road type tracks.

Having fell off at about 40 once on a chalk track upto a radio mast and buggering my hand up for about 3 months i've come to the conclusion i may as well fell off on the tarmac. There's no skill in tanking along a track, and if it goes wrong you've got 0% chance of catching it.

I'm seriously looking at going and doing some trials as i think some slow speed machine control would be a very handy skill

Liked 495 in 300 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    I've come to the conclusion after 10 years of regular trail riding that I don't enjoy riding a trail bike in difficult conditions, I like riding fast easy sandy trails, with the odd slimy bit, I do not see the fun inriding a motorcycle through foot deep ruts of snotty mud, or trying to get up or down a steep, slippery chalk hill. I enjoy river crossings and riding in the snow but I can't see the point of getting soaked to skin and cold.

Maybe it's just me getting old but do people really enjoy a day of slogging through muddy ruts in the pissing rain?
    Not much choice down this way with clay soil.

I really enjoyed those fast trails on Saturday but barrelling along at 40+ mph is likely to end up painful and costly one day even on sand. I've been very lucky in the past to avoid serious damage on the few fast Byways round here when it all went tits up.

I do enjoy the challenge of reading the terrain and finding grip where there shouldn't be any. Riding with a group of mixed abilities and all getting through/over/across whatever obstacles in the way.

Not too keen on cleaning all that shite off or the accelerated wear it causes.

and yes you are old.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    and yes you are old.
    Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post

and yes you are old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Well put.
    Barstards.

Liked 495 in 300 posts

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    i much prefer the slow nadgery stuff to the flat out fire road type tracks.

Having fell off at about 40 once on a chalk track upto a radio mast and buggering my hand up for about 3 months i've come to the conclusion i may as well fell off on the tarmac. There's no skill in tanking along a track, and if it goes wrong you've got 0% chance of catching it.

I'm seriously looking at going and doing some trials as i think some slow speed machine control would be a very handy skill
    I fancy some trials too.

A few years ago a group of us did some Beginners and Wobblers Trials on trailbikes which were some of the most fun days I've ever had on a bike.You get access to terrain you would never get to ride using Byways in this country.

I used my DRZ and mates had RMX250, TS200 and a Ga Ga Pampera

Some of the sections were a little 'tight' but there wasn't much I couldn't get round.

Liked 85 in 67 posts
    Blog Entries

Variety....
    thats whats needed....
    Flat sandy trails would be piss boring if thats all there was...
    same as technical rocky trails get too much after a while...
    the satisfaction of "cleaning" a 1:1 boulder strewn climb with a 3 foot rock step is superb...
    same as flying along flat in 5th on a wide open trail is nice as well...
    but as with most things....too much of one thing all at once gets boring....

Liked 2,325 in 1,192 posts

If I wanted to climb over boulders and up vertical slopes I'd do trials. If I wanted a flat-out blind I'd do motocross. OTOH just bimbling down gravel tracks is a bit tame.

Variety is good, and I really enjoyed the Saturday run which wasn't overly challenging (for a real off road bike ) but the odd rut or puddle was a welcome break from the easy bits. When it gets to be a test of endurance or cajones though it goes beyond what I'm looking for in a leisure outing.

Liked 73 in 51 posts

I think laning it would depend on the ability of the whole group, I like a challenge but dont enjoy it when others really feel uncomfortable or out of their depth. similarly I would hate to feel I was holding everyone else up by being a bit too challenged.

I do enjoy difficult terrain though, I find in enduros where everyone is moaning about having to go up this or down that Im doing just fine, but then I get hammered on the faster stuff by nearly everyone

Would love a go on a trials bike with some proper tuition, I've done various things incomprehensible to my wee brain on an enduro bike involving just going over fallen trees or up the sides of river beds simply by following the instructions of others, it's an amazing feeling when you pull it off which could only be better on a real trials machine.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

I also like the slightly less challenging stuff too - but then being a newbie that doesn't leave much!!

But aside from the newbie thing, I'm generally more one to go a bit easy and have fun rather than see how much pain and fear i can inflict on myself. Would be nice to start with things that are a bit easier, peppered with more challenging stuff - builds your confidence, gives you a sense of achievement and gives you fewer bruises!

Falling off twice within 10 meters in deep and wiggly ruts and then trying to get a bashed around DRZ400 up a steep wet chalk hill on the last excursion was maybe a bit beyond me...

Where are all the easy routes around Surrey?

Banned
    Liked 20 in 13 posts

Good question, I had quite a lot of fun playing around on a very muddy field on road tyres so I do like a bit of a challenge. I think what I would enjoy most is some nice long but not too high jumps and perhaps some more technical sections to test the old balancing skills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission