TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: cobra radio's for bike to bike- reduced range.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default cobra radio's for bike to bike- reduced range.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Well my friend and I bought a kit from biketobike.co.uk and yesterday we got to test them, we set off from mine and started using the radios straight away, initially they seemed fine, everything working as it should, PTT buttons, mics, in helmet speaker etc, but soon as we were out of line of sight (approx 200m) reception reduced to dramatically. Even in line of sight they were only any good upto about 300m. This might be a stupid question, but would having my radio hidden in a pocket under 2 outer garments affect reception?

Liked 6,851 in 4,268 posts
    Blog Entries

radios on a bike seem a bit sad

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    radios on a bike seem a bit sad
    very sad, I agree, but we're touring Scotland later this year and one of the guys thought it would be a good idea - so did I

Liked 6,851 in 4,268 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arti View Post
    very sad, I agree, but we're touring Scotland later this year and one of the guys thought it would be a good idea - so did I

But I'd never have a rider - pillion jobby. Riding the bike is one place that you can't get nagged

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by arti View Post
    Well my friend and I bought a kit from biketobike.co.uk and yesterday we got to test them, we set off from mine and started using the radios straight away, initially they seemed fine, everything working as it should, PTT buttons, mics, in helmet speaker etc, but soon as we were out of line of sight (approx 200m) reception reduced to dramatically. Even in line of sight they were only any good upto about 300m. This might be a stupid question, but would having my radio hidden in a pocket under 2 outer garments affect reception?
    Nothing to do with your clothing they work line of sight, ask anyone who does DAS & CBT's. The weather will have more affect.

Should Get Out More TheEnglishman's Avatar
    Liked 708 in 443 posts
    Blog Entries

That's about right. They are very 'line of sight' due to the frequencies and power they put out.

Depending on the model you can up the power output (google is your friend here) but obviously the batteries last much less.

Did you buy the cheap ones or the full PMR jobbies?

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnglishman View Post
    That's about right. They are very 'line of sight' due to the frequencies and power they put out.

Depending on the model you can up the power output (google is your friend here) but obviously the batteries last much less.

Did you buy the cheap ones or the full PMR jobbies?

Cheap jobbies price wise - yes, although these people reckon they're up to the job, these

and here is the set, here

fool I know, go easy with me!

oh, and I've just sussed hyperlinks, hope they work ok.
    Last edited by arti; 03-02-08 at 01:18.

Liked 4,029 in 2,676 posts

For a while I used Nady combined radio/intercom sets - and at 70blur mph on the M-way they had a useful range of less than 50 yards . . .

Are you using them with any sort of intercom with active noise-cancelling (ie Autocom or Starcom)? That may well increase useability as wind noise shouldn't be an issue.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission