TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 465 of 465 FirstFirst ... 365415455463464465
Results 6,961 to 6,965 of 6965

Thread: Post your random photos here

  1. #6961
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A windswept Hebridean paradise.
    Posts
    21,647
    Like
    1
    Liked 3,767 in 2,174 posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Post your random photos here


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post
    How do they knock on your door?

    They don't need to, it'll open automatically open once they communicate with the smart lock.

  2. #6962
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    11,587
    Like
    679
    Liked 2,009 in 1,204 posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Post your random photos here

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    Thats pretty cool, anymore info on it/them ?
    They're run by Starship delivery.

    You buy stuff via an app on your phone and they bring it to you. Pretty much what you'd expect! At the moment they only serve a relatively small area of MK plus a few places in California and Estonia (don't think it's the same drones doing all three).

    You can buy stuff from Tesco and Coop. It's normal Tesco prices plus a fixed delivery cost of 1. Takes about 45 mins (for ref, I can walk to the same Tesco in about 20 minutes). They only drive on pavements and cycle lanes, max speed is a very brisk walk / slow jog sort of pace. They don't sell all of Tesco's product range, but it's quite a big choice. You can get about two shopping basket's worth in one robot.

    How do they knock on your door?
    You get a notification on your phone when they leave the shop and you can watch their progress on a map. When they arrive you get another notification saying it's waiting outside. You then walk up to the robot and push a "I'm stood next to the robot" button on the app at which point the lid unlocks and you get your stuff. Then you push a "I've got my stuff" button and off it toddles home.

    No idea why they always congregate outside my house late at night though

  3. The following user liked this post made by Mr. Dazzle:


  4. #6963
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    11,587
    Like
    679
    Liked 2,009 in 1,204 posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Post your random photos here

    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    They don't need to, it'll open automatically open once they communicate with the smart lock.
    I'm pretty sure they talk to each other live.

    There was one that got stuck for a bit outside my house due to a badly car parked blocking the pavement (not my car). It sat there pondering for a bit, before back tracking up the pavement to a drop kerb, crossing over, passing the car, then crossing back to the correct side of the road.

    The next one that came along 2 minutes later just crossed over straight away without having to first get stuck and then go back.

  5. #6964
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,545
    Like
    1,197
    Liked 1,246 in 696 posts

    Default Re: Post your random photos here

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    They're run by Starship delivery.

    You buy stuff via an app on your phone and they bring it to you. Pretty much what you'd expect! At the moment they only serve a relatively small area of MK plus a few places in California and Estonia (don't think it's the same drones doing all three).

    You can buy stuff from Tesco and Coop. It's normal Tesco prices plus a fixed delivery cost of 1. Takes about 45 mins (for ref, I can walk to the same Tesco in about 20 minutes). They only drive on pavements and cycle lanes, max speed is a very brisk walk / slow jog sort of pace. They don't sell all of Tesco's product range, but it's quite a big choice. You can get about two shopping basket's worth in one robot.



    You get a notification on your phone when they leave the shop and you can watch their progress on a map. When they arrive you get another notification saying it's waiting outside. You then walk up to the robot and push a "I'm stood next to the robot" button on the app at which point the lid unlocks and you get your stuff. Then you push a "I've got my stuff" button and off it toddles home.

    No idea why they always congregate outside my house late at night though
    Cheers.

    Robot rave? Or perhaps something more sinister?

  6. #6965
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A windswept Hebridean paradise.
    Posts
    21,647
    Like
    1
    Liked 3,767 in 2,174 posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Post your random photos here

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    I'm pretty sure they talk to each other live.

    There was one that got stuck for a bit outside my house due to a badly car parked blocking the pavement (not my car). It sat there pondering for a bit, before back tracking up the pavement to a drop kerb, crossing over, passing the car, then crossing back to the correct side of the road.

    The next one that came along 2 minutes later just crossed over straight away without having to first get stuck and then go back.

    I'm both interested and appalled by these things. So much changing fine detail in the routes they take.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission