TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted Musicman 5 string bass

Liked 64 in 18 posts

Cool Wanted Musicman 5 string bass

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Really I would like a 24 fret Stingray...but they only seem to be 21 or 22

its either that or a Bongo

If you knopw of anyone ....PM me

Ta muchly

Liked 14 in 10 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wanted Musicman 5 string bass

Quote Originally Posted by Nique View Post
    Really I would like a 24 fret Stingray...but they only seem to be 21 or 22

its either that or a Bongo

If you knopw of anyone ....PM me

Ta muchly
    I think they only ever made the Stingray with either 21 or 22 frets.

I donlt think I've ever seen a full 2 octave fingerboard on a stingray.

Liked 64 in 18 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twigman View Post
    I think they only ever made the Stingray with either 21 or 22 frets.

I donlt think I've ever seen a full 2 octave fingerboard on a stingray.
    Yeah I know....doing alot of digging and getting twitchy thinking about the cash I'll have to lay out for one......played one in a shop 2 days ago and decided that rather than just uy a backup bass for a couple of hundred that I now need a Stingray...and my current bass will be resigned to the subs bench

Liked 14 in 10 posts
    Blog Entries

Talking of Basses, has anybody here played a Fender Mustang with the short scale 30" neck?

After several years of not playing and with dates in Italy to honour I'm now playing again I'm finding spanning 4 frets [esp frets 1 to 5] on my 34" precision a bit of a stretch and am wondering about trying the shorter scale Mustang....

what's the verdict?

Liked 14 in 10 posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah I know....doing alot of digging and getting twitchy thinking about the cash I'll have to lay out for one......played one in a shop 2 days ago and decided that rather than just uy a backup bass for a couple of hundred that I now need a Stingray...and my current bass will be resigned to the subs bench
    Search (GAK)

You know you want to.....

Liked 64 in 18 posts

what's the verdict?

Blaame yer parents for giving you 'Beadle Hands'

I suffer from it mesen..never played with a short scale neck so I'm used to going at it like a pissed spider

CHeck dis...getting very twitchy fingers...do you know owt about importing from the States?

FS/T: 2008 Stingray 5 H/S Tobacco Burst - Harmony Central Musician Community Forums

*Wibble*

Liked 14 in 10 posts
    Blog Entries

Blaame yer parents for giving you 'Beadle Hands'

I suffer from it mesen..never played with a short scale neck so I'm used to going at it like a pissed spider

CHeck dis...getting very twitchy fingers...do you know owt about importing from the States?

FS/T: 2008 Stingray 5 H/S Tobacco Burst - Harmony Central Musician Community Forums

*Wibble*
    Nice.....a brand new Stingray5 will set you back 1125 sterling
    http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/stingray-5/3476
    OUCH!

Liked 64 in 18 posts

Nice.....a brand new Stingray5 will set you back 1125 sterling
    Music Man StingRay 5 (includes case) (GAK)
    OUCH!
    The one there isn't the same spec as the one I've linked to...my one will probably cost nearer 1500 brand new

Wiltshire. It may be full of pigs, but at least there's plenty of bacon.
    Liked 35 in 22 posts

Have you considered the OLPMM32 ?

I know it's not a genuine 'Ray, and the earlier OLPs have a bit of a shocking reputation for bad build quality, but the later, korean ones were a massive improvement. Double humbucker, and active 3 band EQ... sounds as good as a real Ray to my (admittedly somewhat novice) ears and the Black Cherry Burst finish looks awesomely subtle.

I had a MM32 for a bit, but couldn't get on with the narrow string spacing, so bought the MM22 4 string... Ended up swapping the 5er for a fretless MIM Jazz... which is a crappily made toy in comparison to either of the OLPs I had.

Both could have done with half an hour at a luthier to tidy the frets and set the action a little better... but than at nearly a grand cheaper than the equivalent EBMM Ray, that's not something that would concern me too much... Even if the neck warped a couple of years down the line, you could get a status graphite neck for it and STILL be quids in

The photos don't really do the finish justice tho

Liked 64 in 18 posts

Quote Originally Posted by stoo View Post
    Have you considered the OLPMM32 ?
    Yes and No....I mean I've ruled out any of the 'little brother' makes ie G&L, OLP etc etc basicallyt coz that was what I was going to do originally...just get a half decent backup 5 stringer.

I've currently got a Schecter which feels nicer most of the other 'budget' range guitars I've tried...the only thing that came close to that for bang for Buck was the G&L.

After trying a proper Stingray the other day.....I ......MUST.......HAVE (also tried a Lakland which felt awful and a couple of Overwaters.....which were both over 2K)

I'm looking at this as an investment....or at least thats what I'm trying to convince myself it is....after this...the head needs upgrading....Orange is favourite at the mo, but I'm gonna check out the Mesas...to compliment my bins.

The conservatory roof and replacement bathroom will have to wait

Liked 35 in 22 posts

Yes and No....I mean I've ruled out any of the 'little brother' makes ie G&L, OLP etc etc basicallyt coz that was what I was going to do originally...just get a half decent backup 5 stringer.
    Ah right... fair enough.

....after this...the head needs upgrading....
    Aye - same here...... if only it were possible......

Oh..... you mean amp head, doncha....

Liked 64 in 18 posts

Oh..... you mean amp head, doncha....
    Again yes and No

The missus wants the conservatory roof relpacing and a new bathroom....so I need to replace my amp head....the missus might actually knock my head off when she sees how much I want to spend on a bass and head.

Liked 35 in 22 posts

Again yes and No

The missus wants the conservatory roof relpacing and a new bathroom....so I need to replace my amp head....the missus might actually knock my head off when she sees how much I want to spend on a bass and head.

I really miss my old Hiwatt valve head. Found it for next to fuckall in the local freeads back in the days before the internet meant everyone knows how much they can get for rare stuff. Sold it to our bass player for the same as what I paid for it..... back in the days before the internet meant I know how much I could have got for rare stuff.

Liked 14 in 10 posts
    Blog Entries

Talking of missing your bass amps

I had a rare combo back in the 80s.....it was a Sessionette 100W with 4 x 10" ....it may not sound like much but it was the best little bass combo I ever used....I let it go for 350 in 1991...I regret selling it now as I 'need' a practice amp...practicing unamplified or through the mixing desk to headphones is a nightmare!!!

Liked 64 in 18 posts

Talking of missing your bass amps

I had a rare combo back in the 80s.....it was a Sessionette 100W with 4 x 10" ....it may not sound like much but it was the best little bass combo I ever used....I let it go for 350 in 1991...I regret selling it now as I 'need' a practice amp...practicing unamplified or through the mixing desk to headphones is a nightmare!!!
    Well my current cheapo amp head is a bargain. Its solid state but the quality of sound you can get from it is amazing for the price. They are about 160 new but second hand you should be able to pick one up for @100. Its 450w and has both jack and speakon and you get a little foot switch for the modelling it has on it.

I haven't had a combo in quite some time (my little 15w doesn't really count as it sounds like shite....but at least puts some kind of signal out) but sold my last about a year ago after it'd just been collecting dust. That was a beast IIRC it was a Carlsbro B410...Lovely meaty sound but sooooo heavy

I may be selling mine soon but I need to see how much the StingRay is gonna set me back first.

Behringer Ultrabass BX4500H (GAK)

I really miss my old Hiwatt valve head.
    Gutted. My guitarist has their 100w head and 4 x 10 cab...he's had nothing but trouble with it and he bought it from new. He got it fixed a few weeks ago and it broke pretty much immediately after...which is gutting. He was looking at a 'Divided by 13' system...which is @3500 for a 45w head and 2 x 10 cab!!!! Now he's heard they sound like shite when cranked he's now looking at Dezel or going with a good ol Mesa Dual Rec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission