TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Nikwax Visor Proof rain repellent.

Liked 119 in 58 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Nikwax Visor Proof rain repellent.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I bought this after hearing a few recommendations in the Motorcycle forum and to be honest, after numerous experiences with magical sprays, was expecting 5 worth of disappointment. I was very wrong.

The solution appears to be some kind of wax held in a vinegary base, after cleaning your visor according to the instructions, you simply spray the visor from a distance of 12" or so, then rub it in with a soft cloth. Too many squirts will produce a waxy smear over the visor that will need buffing off before going out.

The first application was ok, but nothing spectacular, raindrops were still smearing and there was no apparent beading of the water. I tried a few more applications (I used it as a cleaning agent, there's plenty of it) with ordinary cloths like pants, socks, T shirts, stuff like that, then I found one of those silky glasses bags you get free with some specs. That did the deed, a quick spray and buff off with the funky cloth worked wonders, water still sticks to the visor but the side-to-side head jiggle gets all the water off your visor as long as there's a good (50mph+) breeze running over it.

It got an 8 rating because I would have liked it to last a little longer between applications.

Wrapping up, if you use it every time you get home and clean your visor, it's well worth having, it only takes a few seconds and makes riding in the rain a less unpeasant experience.

Should Get Out More TheEnglishman's Avatar
    Liked 708 in 443 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nikwax Visor Proof rain repellant.

TBH your experience is the same as mine with Mr Sheen.

Liked 120 in 85 posts

Ordinary Pledge furniture cleaner does a better job. E.g. it works at 20mph, no special cloths required and it cleans the visor too.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

I used to use Mr Sheen / Pledge etc until someone mentioned the Nikwax stuff. IMO the Nikwax is much, much better than furniture polish. I've been using my bottle for over a year now, and I ride all year round in all weathers, 15~20k a year.
    Aside from the advantage in the rain it's also easier to remove the flies that want to peer inside your helmet when your knocking on a bit in the warmer times of the year.

I spray twice on the visor, a light wipe over to spread it, pop the bottle back in my top box (give it time to dry off a bit) and buff off the visor with anything I have to hand, maybe not the sandpaper.

I found it only needs a slight breeze to move the water drops off the visor, I would concurr that it only lasts 4 or 5 visor washes mind before needing a reapply.

As a side note, I read somewhere that a manufacture of MC helmets advised against using furniture polish as it makes the visors less able to take and impact such as a stone flicked up (makes em brittle). I can't confirm this as I used polish for some years and never had a problem, and I can recall having a few stones fired at me by mates with sticky rubber trying to get away.

Buy the Nikwax, tis good stuff, a bottle last for ages, small enough to carry on longer trips, and the wife won't whinge cus your using the furniture polish again ;-)
    \v/
    Last edited by Vince; 17-02-09 at 20:59. Reason: Addition...

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Re: Nikwax Visor Proof rain repellent.

I use Rain X. It fucks your visor over a long period, but I change my visors every 12 months at least. Rain X is good on headlight bulbs too ( if it's glass ) as it slows the amount of shit that sticks to your light in winter.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission