TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Hood Jeans

Liked: 1/1

Default Hood Jeans

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I'm sure we've all been there. We all know that leathers offer more protection, but there's just something about a pair of jeans and a black leather jacket that just appeals to us all when we want to go out and ride our bikes.

I'll admit I've done it before... you know "Just nipping down the shops love" and off you go in your jeans knowing full well that if you come off you've got about 0.2 of a second before it's not denim wearing away as you slide down the road, instead it's your flesh...
    And that's why we buy and wear leathers... But jeans just 'feel' better!

OK - so we want the protection of leathers, but we want the feel and image of leathers so we need to find some middle ground somewhere! After doing my research there were two names that kept coming up, Hood Jeans and Draggin' Jeans. Opinions were divided - some went for Hood, others went for Draggin'.

For some reason I always knew that I'd end up buying a pair of Hoods, but just didn't know when, or what sort!
    They do a number of different styles, from the traditional (K7, ND4 and Concept 6) to a more military look (the Camo and Army Green). All of them are priced around 80 (plus 7 delivery) and you can add optional Planet Knox knee and hip armour to them for an additional 18. Best of all they're all British made - and in this current climate us Brits should all be looking at how we can put money into our economy and keep Great British businesses going in this period of uncertainty!

Initially I thought that 100 was expensive for a pair of jeans but when you think about it, compared to a pair of leather trousers (my HG Tripmasters cost 170) or textile gear they're actually quite well priced... Why's that you say? Well, because these jeans aren't just a bit of denim with some 3rd party armour attached - these are good, thick grade denim, lined with a special material (woven or knitted) called Para-Aramid. Never heard of it? Well, it's some special Kevlar type stuff specially designed and placed to protect the normal impact and slide points if you ever end up coming off your bike.

Right - enough blurb, here's a bit about the whole buying process.

Initially, I made contact with Hood on Sunday night (late Sunday night) with an enquiry about the jeans.
    Monday I received an email acknowledging my email, with a quote and a request for my inside leg measurement if I decided to progress with the order.
    Tuesday I phoned Hood, ordered my K7 jeans, provided my inside leg, credit card details and delivery address.
    Thursday my jeans arrived.

That's 48 hours from order to Parcelforce delivery - with the jeans being altered for my inside leg measurements... Pretty bloody good if you ask me!

So - what are they like?
    My first wear was Thursday night - after fitting the armour (Hood recommend you don't go up a size to compensate - instead stick with your normal jeans size) which was a pretty painless process involving turning the jeans inside out and attaching them to the velco sewn into the jeans I went out for a quick ride to the in-laws. The jeans fit well - a bit snug in the way that most jeans are when you've just washed them and put them on (if you're a bit of a fattie like me and have optimistically ordered the size you were 6 months ago and are trying to get back into!) but they soon eased up a bit!
    Going for a ride wearing the jeans felt strange at first - I didn't feel as cocooned as I normally did with the leathers and felt more 'open'. Anyway - it felt good. The jeans felt good. The denim felt nice and sturdy - a light year away from the thin stuff you get when you buy a pair of Asda Smartprice jeans for 6. Additionally, the Para-Aramid lining felt comortable - not stiff. I knew it was there but it didn't feel wrong.

I decided to really put them to the test on the Friday. Friday's dress down day at work so I chose to wear the jeans the whole day. That day I'd obviously lost a load of weight, the jeans felt much more comfortable and I really didn't notice that I was wearing anything other than a normal pair of jeans throughout the whole day. I will say that towards the end of the day my knees were starting to rebel against the armour, but that's not a fault of the jeans, and if I had wanted to I could have un-velcroed the kneepads at any point. Instead I just sat at my desk with my legs straight for a bit. Job done!
    It was an important test for me, and the jeans didn't let me down.

The other thing I have to point out is that the pockets feel so well made - they're made of the same denim as the rest of the jean and just feel 'right'.

The one part I'm not testing is the crash factor. If you want to see if they'll protect you in a crash then look here

So, my verdict.
    Buy them. They're British, they're very well made, they look good, they feel good. I'll probably end up buying another pair at some point. Can't fault them or the service (there are reports that Hood will quite happily fix your jeans if you crash in them instead of forcing you to buy another pair!). They're cheaper than leathers and most textiles and just feel better.

Go to their website or give them a call and buy a pair - you know it makes sense!

Pictures!

Last edited by Nick T; 06-03-09 at 19:45.

2. The following user liked this post made by Nick T:

Liked 110 in 27 posts

Default Re: Hood Jeans

I've owned many pairs of Hood jeans for years.

I fit Heine Gericke rubber armour in them, it is all day comfortable and you can wash the jeans with it still fitted.

Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 2,292 in 1,340 posts
    Blog Entries

I had a pair of Hood combats a while ago.
    The aramid layer was all plasticy and sweaty (not nearly as goood as Draggin ones where it's a sort of towelling material).
    Are they still like that?

Liked: 1/1

I didn't think it felt plasticy - it felt 'there' but not uncomfortable (if you know what I mean?).

I've not used them enough yet to tell if they get sweaty - as since that Friday I had them on all day I've not been out on the bike due to the snow!
    I'll let you know how I get on though

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleStudPony View Post
    I had a pair of Hood combats a while ago.
    The aramid layer was all plasticy and sweaty (not nearly as goood as Draggin ones where it's a sort of towelling material).
    Are they still like that?
    I got concept 6 jeans from hood and my lining is sort of wooly towelling stuff. Not plasticy at all.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

I love my Hood jeans. Still haven't got round to fitting the armour a la God's suggestion though

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission