TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Bmw r1200s

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Bmw r1200s

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Herman Factory Fresh.

Snetterton 08

Ok so this is my third BMW, so I'm reasonably happy with the quirks of Bimmers.

Okies, first of all, BMW say its a sports bike.. no its not! its a competent sports tourer. ok got that out of the way. however it did embarrass some real sports bikes at Snetterton, which cheered me up.

Initial impression is its very good, very solid and composed the BMW suspension is brilliant, watch one round a bumpy track and you'll see how it handles heavy braking and bumps very calmly, whilst full on sports bikes are all over the shop.

The Engine is good, the Vibes are quite hefty at full chat.. which can lead to numb fingers after a good few hundred miles of it, the boxer is a love it or hate it relationship.. I love it

Gearbox, I like it, at first quite tight and clunky now its on 18k miles it brilliant, gears snick into place.. never had any false neutrals..

Brakes and suspension, the badged BMW calipers are infact Brembo, says in the casting on the back and work just fine, very steady and strong stopping power. The Telelever and Paralever suspension keeps the bike exceptionally level and composed even when under the most heavy braking. well it did for me at Snetterton as I bravely avoided the off right in front of me.. eek!!

Panniers, I have the BMW clam shell panniers, they're brilliant, everything fits and they have a ratchet so you close it then squash it shut! ace!!

Quality, The bike has had a few issues, a few small warranty items have been replaced, however most of these were me being bloody fussy, as far as I'm concerned a bike should not have fixings tat corode, so they get replaced.
    I know the front fork will go black, its water based paint, but I know that they'll fit new before the warranty runs out in Sept. after that they get rubbed down once a year and a respray and look factory fresh.

Do I like it? hell yeah I've toured the Uk, France and Ireland. I have a planned trip this year to Norway for a few weeks and it will perform faultlessly as usual.

(Herman Heading for France)

some minor paint work courtesy of Angry Painter..
    Last edited by SteveMac; 31-03-09 at 18:10.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Re: Bmw r1200s

So you're undecided on this one then Steve.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 506 in 280 posts
    Blog Entries

A little confused at the glowing write-up and only an average 67% rating.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    So you're undecided on this one then Steve.
    LOL, well y'know I like to keep an open mind..

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Thumbs down Re: Bmw r1200s

You've quoted the BHP figure for the K1200 there. Your machine makes about 120bhp max @ top RPM
    Last edited by EventHorizon; 30-04-09 at 10:22.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
    You've quoted the BHP figure for the K1200 there. You're machine makes about 120bhp max @ top RPM
    sorry i cut and pasted.. didn't see it... my bad

Not Much To Do
    Liked 13 in 9 posts

Just a few top tips for you...

The back of the bike is too low, set the ride height adjsuter to somewhere near max to stop it running wide in corners and make it steer quicker

The "powerband" is a PITA. I've got a MHP system with a Zard (road legal) can. Gives the bike the midrange it should have had in the first place.

The screen is too low. Wunderlich one is good.

The pegs are not grippy in the wet. K12S ones fit with very minor mods (tiny bit of filing) or Rizoma rearsets are lovely.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 13 in 9 posts

Oh, they do a genuine 154 on the rev limiter...

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Just done another Trackday, Brands this time.. had a brilliant day out. ok so it was half a day but it was free so I'm not being fussy.

The bike performed very well, I did tinker with the adjustable Ohlins.. abit.

However to be honest, unless I went to the extremes of the settings, I couldn't feel much difference.

This could be down to either me being shite.. (quite likely) or the fact the Ohlins is not proper sport Ohlins... the shocks are made by Ohlins but they are a bargain basement edition made for BMW.. so whenever they need replacing I'll fit something better.

thats all, carry on.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission