TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fog Lights etc

Liked 0 in 0 posts
    Blog Entries

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    If you are that worried about fog I'd suggest a rear fog lamp would be more use, and as a Brucey bonus you'd look less like you got lost on the Long Way Down to the supermarket.

I also seem to recall bright lights make it harder to judge distance/speed too.

Liked 11 in 7 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnglishman View Post
    I'm tempted to put fogs on my GS (not 'cos everyone else does but 'cos it gets foggy on my commute). Now the Highway Code states they must be off unless visibility is good enough but is there a case for having them on in traffic as 'additional' reference points so that other road users can more easily judge distance.?

And then, is there a case for having slightly different coloured fog lights (yellow or blue) to help further?
    Yeah - go for it. I think it gives the bike more 'presence' and traffic is more likely to see you. It certainly seems to work with mine!

As I understand the regs., the rules apply when they are used alone as fog lights, not when used in conjunction with dipped beam, in which case they have to be permanently dipped (so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic) and are classed as 'Driving lamps'. If they are set in a non-dipped direction, they must extinguish with main beam. IIRC, the actual wording is buried deep within the C & U regs. The position is also critical for them to be classified as 'fog lights' - they have to be below the bumper height of a car, essentially, which means that, when mounted on a GS, they will be regarded as 'driving lights'

As a matter of interest, my current car (2001 Xantia) is the first to have fog lights which are actually useful in very foggy conditions.

Banned
    Liked 2 in 2 posts

Quote Originally Posted by littleredrooster View Post
    Yeah - go for it. I think it gives the bike more 'presence' and traffic is more likely to see you. It certainly seems to work with mine!
    How fantastic! Whay doesn't EVERYONE do that? There will be no problems for motorcyclists at all. It's such a good idea I'd make it a law.

Perhaps not.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,037 in 610 posts

As I understand the regs., the rules apply when they are used alone as fog lights, not when used in conjunction with dipped beam, in which case they have to be permanently dipped (so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic) and are classed as 'Driving lamps'. If they are set in a non-dipped direction, they must extinguish with main beam. IIRC, the actual wording is buried deep within the C & U regs. The position is also critical for them to be classified as 'fog lights' - they have to be below the bumper height of a car, essentially, which means that, when mounted on a GS, they will be regarded as 'driving lights'
    The problem is - you can't "dip" driving lights, because by design they do not have a dip beam pattern - they are designed to through a narrow beam of light up the road as far as possible. So you end up riding round with these things on dazzling people.

Liked 3,627 in 2,404 posts

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    I've had concerned people in carparks stop (twice in the past year) to tell me my lights are off (in broad daylight while stood by warming up bike)
    It was someone (another rider) saying that - probably over 10 years ago - that finally confirmed me on 'no daytime lights unless there's a good reason'.

Foxy:

Shaw 1979

Compared the accuracy with which subjects estimated the speed of a motorcycle with headlamp on, and off.

Subjects over-estimated the speed for lower speed of approach
    Subjects under-estimated the speed for higher speed of approach

The reversal from over- to under- took place between 50-55mph with the headlamp off, and between 35-40mph with the headlamp on.

littleredrooster:
    The 'at risk' zone at junctions is about 3 - 4 seconds (PM me an email address if you want more on this).
    Are you seriously saying that a driver who looks won't see you 3 seconds away?

[Remember most SMIDSYs happen in urban areas]

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,037 in 610 posts

Just remembered this site with useful information on the use of fog lights...

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,501 in 947 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnglishman View Post
    Now the Highway Code states they must be off unless visibility is good enough but is there a case for having them on in traffic as 'additional' reference points so that other road users can more easily judge distance.?
    Isn't this just another version of the hi-vis theories that it might help another road user see you sooner so he might do something different to protect you from harm?

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post

I did have one - bought it after I saw a mate wearing his from about 3 miles away!
    But how much greater is the benefit of being seen 3 miles away than 2, 1 or even 400 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    My current ones may work OK in fog (I haven't tried them), but I would have to drive at 10mph or less, they have a range of about 10 feet.
    It's useful if you drop your house keys in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    If you are that worried about fog I'd suggest a rear fog lamp would be more use,
    I have one on my V50.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    The 'at risk' zone at junctions is about 3 - 4 seconds
    Hence my query about Spin's PINK JACKET

Now when I were a lad we had proper fog.......

Liked 24 in 13 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Breaker View Post
    Now when I were a lad we had proper fog.......
    Er! something you are not telling us?

Seriously, whilst I will use it with the best of em', I think that the big problem with all high-viz aids is that they foster a sense of false invunerability. You and your skills and your roadcraft (Small r - before you lot start!) are the biggest aid to accident avoidance.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,037 in 610 posts

But how much greater is the benefit of being seen 3 miles away than 2, 1 or even 400 yards?
    Bloody important when the last one to the lunchtime cafe stop got the teas in!!

Banned
    Liked 2 in 2 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigFella View Post
    I think that the big problem with all high-viz aids is that they foster a sense of false invunerability.
    I'm not going to argue with that!

(Except you spelt invulnerability wrong.)

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    I'm not going to argue with that!

(Except you spelt invulnerability wrong.)
    He did say it was false.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,501 in 947 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    Bloody important when the last one to the lunchtime cafe stop got the teas in!!
    Ah, but if you're as slow as me they've got sick of waiting and bought their own. Then the queue has gone by the time I arrive.
    Last edited by Bike Breaker; 11-02-08 at 05:21. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission