TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Shoei XR1000 and Shoei Multitec Helmets

That little space to the left of my brain
    Liked 44 in 29 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Shoei XR1000 and Shoei Multitec Helmets

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    The answer from my wife was along the lines of 'just remember this conversation next time I want (another) new handbag'.

SO I have now invested the bank's hard earned cash in a brand new Shoei XR-1000, but why when I already own a Shoei Multitec which I absolutely love?

I just got into conversation with my mate Andy about full face lids again and he mentioned that the XR1000s are being fazed out for a replacement in September, so online bargains are to be had. A couple of beers later and the purchase has been made from racevisors.co.uk who I can thoroughly recommend for prompt service.

So what does each one do well, and which has benefits above the other?

I was initially nervous about buying online, but already having a recent Shoei I checked the size on that, measured my head and they both tallied for me to need a large sized helmet.

Ordered it on Monday and it arrived with the whisper kit and new black visor yesterday.

As you will see from the pictures below, I am a sucker for matt black. With all the Shoei's I have had I always get the impression that they are a quality product and this one feels no different. I have no hesitation in awarding it a 10/10 for build quality, even after initial impressions.

Then comfort, after the Multitec it feels very snug on my face, obviously the pads (which are removable and washable) will ease with time, but it does give me some initial concerns about fit and forehead pressure.

I neednt have worried, it all becomes clear on the road. Yes it is snug, but even at a slow pace there is no pressure on my forehead. It feels very, very comfortable. I have no issues even when I up the pace a little. At this stage I would almost be tempted to give it a ten for comfort. But it does lose a mark for not being quite as comfy when stopped and also for the amount of wind noise generated compared to the Multitec.

When I am commuting I never wear earplugs with the Multitec as it is a very quiet helmet, probably the quietest I have had. If you are only travelling at 30-40 then you probably dont need them with the whisper kit fitted.

I have fitted the whisper kit to both helmets and it does make a significant difference to the wind noise, well worth it if you can get it thrown in. The difference in noise mainly seems to be down to the venting system. The Multitec only has venting at the front and top, so the air doesnt seem to move around as much, whereas the XR-1000 has vents at the front, top and also at the back. This leads to a much more noticeable air cooling effect when travelling at speed.

Conversely, when at a stop or at filtering pace the Multitec holds all the advantages, it is far easier to let air circulate by simply lifting the whole front up, if you have never used a flip up before, trust me, it makes a huge difference to get some fresh air in every so often, just lifting a visor does not compare.

The flip top is of course a major advantage due to this fact, especially when commuting when it can be fairly stop start. Obviously if your helmet is lifted up you are at more danger of hurting your face in a crash; but that is everybody's own choice to make. I occasionally flip the top up at low speeds for a short distance just to get the breeze on my face. Depending on what attitude you take to commuting, this can also be an advantage when having to make eye contact with drivers, it is far less threatening if they see a noddy with a flip up front if you have a quiet word over anything. I am general very chilled on the commute anyway, but I am sure it helps when they see my smiling face instead of a hard glare

Of course the other advantage of the flip up is going for petrol; with the amount of stations now being dicks over helmets the problem is immediately alleviated when they can see your big ugly face.

Another issue with the XR-1000 is if you are using the whisper strip it is a bit of a tight squeeze over the head. This is not that big an issue and like with the padding, with use and time I am sure it will ease.

One of the problems I have had with the Multitec is a slight issue at higher speeds, especially with cornering. It is a bit difficult to explain, but there can be a slight pressure on the forehead when 'staring' through a corner. It is not particularly nasty or anything, but can be a slight distraction at times. I have also noticed that the helmet seems to press into my head a bit when speeds get up to about 90. Having 9 points on my licence some might argue that this is probably a good thing, but the XR-1000 is definitely comfier at higher speeds.

So there you have it, no faults as such, they just both have slight quirks that seem to really be an inbuilt factor in either a full face or flip up design. One point to note is that the Spin Doctor has also invested in a Multitec recently and has had problems with the quality, it will be interesting to see how he gets on when he takes it back to the shop. I know of several people who have had them and not had similar problems, but as a long time instructor Spin is not one to complain lightly or miss use his helmets, so worth seeing what happens in the long run. He has had poor quality finish on his. Well with mine I have even dropped it off the seat of my bike (oops!) and there isnt even a mark on it. So hopefully he has just been unlucky.

So to prices, and one of the reasons for this review. The XR-1000 is now being discontinued so there are clearance bargains to be had. George Whites has them on offer at 199, there are not many colours left, but still bloody cheap. Mine was 225, but I like my matt black

So go grab a bargain!

The Multitec is one of Shoei's top sellers and has unfortunately gone up in recent months with the weakness of the pound. They are online around the 300 range. I got mine from Hunts in Manchester, who I also heartily recommend. I like to shop instore, but unfortunately he hasnt been able to reduce his XR1000s yet and there was a 100 difference. In general I like shopping there though.

Of course, anybody who has spent 50 on a helmet will quite rightly say that they have the same level of protection as me spending 200 odd. For me it is worth it paying the extra, just because I like the look, finish and comfort of the Shoeis. That is my personal opinion though, I guess it all comes back to those handbags.

Did I really need two? Nope, but I sure did want them
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked 44 in 29 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Shoei XR1000 and Shoei Multitec

Forgot to add that they both have detachable cheek pads and that the visors are interchangeable between the two. Also the Multitec is very light for a flip up, but the XR-1000 is even lighter.

Liked 92 in 26 posts
    Blog Entries

I've tried a Multitec on in The Shop before and found it to be really comfortable, which is surprising because I also have an Arai head. If I ever get a spare lid it may well be one of those.
    How much was the XR1000 before the reduction?

Liked 44 in 29 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzychuck View Post
    I've tried a Multitec on in The Shop before and found it to be really comfortable, which is surprising because I also have an Arai head. If I ever get a spare lid it may well be one of those.
    How much was the XR1000 before the reduction?
    Depends on where from as prices have shot up in the last 6 months or so, but around about the 300+ mark in the shops, or just under 300 online

Liked: 1/1
    Blog Entries

I've got a Matt Black XR1000 as well. Comfy and very light which was one of the reasons for buying.

One thing when comparing it to my old Arai Quantum is that you get a lot more wind coming in with the visor up one click. I can't really ride along with the Shoei open that far for any distance. Luckily I find all the vents are pretty good.

Might have to try a whisper kit and definitely a black visor for the summer

At Work
    Liked
    2/1
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that Bonners. I REALLY want a Multitec but as DebtWoman's been made redundant AND we have a wedding to save for, it'll have to wait. I have a Shoei Raid II which is an excellent lid & much quieter compared to my AGV Stealth & V-Flyer. I WOULD however like a Multitec Shearwater, but prices for those are in excess of 400

Liked 44 in 29 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DebtMan View Post
    Thanks for that Bonners. I REALLY want a Multitec but as DebtWoman's been made redundant AND we have a wedding to save for, it'll have to wait. I have a Shoei Raid II which is an excellent lid & much quieter compared to my AGV Stealth & V-Flyer. I WOULD however like a Multitec Shearwater, but prices for those are in excess of 400
    Wont you have to get a pink paint job to match the missus' helmet though?

At Work
    Liked
    2/1
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bonners View Post
    Wont you have to get a pink paint job to match the missus' helmet though?
    GRRRRRRRR!!! SOME PEOPLE pay afr too much attention to the small details

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission