TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A usable classic bike.

Liked 14 in 12 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A usable classic bike.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by arsey30 View Post
    I had considered an MSS, I rode Vipers and Venoms and found their brakes, handling, performance and smoothness very good, but spent a lot of time on oil leaks, electrics, starting, and clutch. [plus stripped mag gear drive, and oil pump housing leaking air]
    I had this Viper for 20 years and solved most of those problems by the time I sold it.
    The Honda was pretty good, but the handling very interesting at speed.

Very nice, I had a magneto gear strip a couple of times and then I had Dave Lindsley rebuild the mag as manual advance which transformed the bike in terms of starting and reliability.

Liked 775 in 510 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milky82 View Post
    A Z650 might be worth a look, find a good one and they are reliable for there age and have that classic Z look if thats your thing.
    Aargh!! Runs off screaming. Bought one new, included anti grip tyres, laxative brakes and turn resistant suspension and frame. Got rid of it after 6 months. Almost competes with the CZ in the unrideability stakes.

Liked 2,320 in 1,189 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    People who have had dynamic balancing done say it reduces vibration, but it's only going to remove one component of the vibration: the wiggly effect of the crankshaft trying to describe two cone shapes with their points meeting in the middle. The primary vibration effect of two pistons leaping up and down together and the back and fore throw of the bobweight are all still there after dynamic balancing.
    Maybe worthy of its own thread but balance factor makes a huge difference. I've had 2 engines (500 Weslake and 750 Norton) where I have altered the balance factor from an unknown (suspect around 50%) to 80% and the engine is MUCH smoother. On the Norton in particular the vibration was so bad at first that I literally couldn't feel my hands after a 15-minute practice session. It's only a matter of time before something like that breaks frames.

However you are right that the more you increase the BF to balance out the vertical component the more you have a flywheel that's unbalanced in the horizontal plane. I can only suggest it's something to do with the way the engine is mounted and the natural frequencies within the frame. The answer is to listen to what the old hands say about the best BF for a given engine/frame combo and make your own call.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,475 in 933 posts

Copied from your other post

Quote Originally Posted by Arsey30
    I found the 150 LE so slow I could have jumped off and run faster,
    Of course it''s slow and I wouldn't seriously expect anyone to get one except for the novelty value, but if you were commuting through a city centre, the 50mph maximum speed would fit into the traffic flow and the 100mpg is attractive, too.
    but I have considered the G2, despite their problems [gearbox] when they were new.
    My guess at the reason for the weak gearbox reputation is because all the workings are at the top. This means that if it doesn't have the full 3 pints of oil in it, they don't get any lubrication. That wouldn't be very good.

OK, back to vibrations. I like them.

Liked 61 in 37 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Breaker View Post
    Copied from your other post

Of course it''s slow and I wouldn't seriously expect anyone to get one except for the novelty value, but if you were commuting through a city centre, the 50mph maximum speed would fit into the traffic flow and the 100mpg is attractive, too.
    My guess at the reason for the weak gearbox reputation is because all the workings are at the top. This means that if it doesn't have the full 3 pints of oil in it, they don't get any lubrication. That wouldn't be very good.

OK, back to vibrations. I like them.
    The 150 was all right on the flat, but hills killed it, perhaps the 192 pulls better.
    So does the CSR vibrate much?
    They were much improved over the early standard 58 to 60 G2s, the 62 on CSR had several gearbox mods, plus steel flywheels, roller D/S mains, stiffer crank/conrod and with better front brake and decent forks.
    I could be tempted, my 500 Bullet and 350 Viper were pretty smooth, so it is posible to get singles to run reasonable.

I did look at balancing my 16MS, but thought it would only shift the vibes up the rev range.
    Perhaps starting with a well balanced engine such as V twin or flat twin wolud be better.
    I was happy with my Pantah, does any one ride an R60 or R69?

Thanks.

Liked 775 in 510 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arsey30 View Post
    does any one ride an R60 or R69?

Thanks.
    Or a Douglas, haven't seen one of the more recent ones in the flesh

Liked 2,320 in 1,189 posts

Indian Enfield?

/me runs

Really Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Not a classic but if you'd rather ride than wrench all day a used Triumph Thruxton works for me. It's a bit on the heavy side but will cruise all day at illegal speeds.

Liked 3,970 in 2,678 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by protoborg View Post
    Or a Douglas, haven't seen one of the more recent ones in the flesh
    They had a rep for not being usable.

Liked 1,247 in 720 posts

400/4, surprisingly quick, reasonably reliable, and the things that go wrong are easy fixes, especially if you aren't too concerned with it being as it came out of the factory. Theres a fair few about, and spares are pretty easy to get as well. Handlings pretty good as well.

Liked 1,239 in 584 posts

A smoke orange BMW R90S. Gorgeous bike. Or a MKI Moto Guzzi Le Mans.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Cool Re: A usable classic bike.

Alternatively;If you want new, the Moto Guzzi V7 "Classic"

I've ridden one and they're OK if you like style over form, but if I did, I'd probably go for this, the Cafe Racing version

Liked 61 in 37 posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSatan View Post
    A smoke orange BMW R90S. Gorgeous bike. Or a MKI Moto Guzzi Le Mans.
    I had this one for 11 years with no complaints, but it is a bit heavy for the use I have in mind. [steady pace on country lanes, the Guzzi was at it best around 90]

14. The following user liked this post made by arsey30:

Liked 1,239 in 584 posts

A bevel drive Ducati. Any that are still running now will have had most of the foibles sorted. I would suggest a MHR, but I assume you're not a millionaire I used to have a 600 Pantah (with a fibreglass MHR tank and fairing and paint job) that was a brilliant little bike, wish I'd never sold it. With comp K Metzelers on it, it cornered like it was on rails, you could almost take your hands off the bars.

Liked 61 in 37 posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSatan View Post
    A bevel drive Ducati. Any that are still running now will have had most of the foibles sorted. I would suggest a MHR, but I assume you're not a millionaire I used to have a 600 Pantah (with a fibreglass MHR tank and fairing and paint job) that was a brilliant little bike, wish I'd never sold it. With comp K Metzelers on it, it cornered like it was on rails, you could almost take your hands off the bars.
    Price is not the isssue if the dearer bike is better, but often the collectors bikes are worse to ride.
    The last time I tried to start a MHR it threw me over the handlebars :-(

Yes, if I could find another Pantah like my old one, that would do.
    I restored a friends 250RS, but only rode it to the MOT, is anyone riding one now, what are they like?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission