TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SERV (aka Blood Runners)

Liked 362 in 137 posts

Default Re: SERV (aka Blood Runners)

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ste View Post
    Tried to join it the North-West unit when I retired in 2008.ZILCH response...f**k em
    did you just email the once? Sometimes emails get stuck in spam filters

Quote Originally Posted by protoborg View Post
    IIRC Cambridge is trying to set up at the moment
    I'll have to have a look into this then. I like excuses for riding round the shire and even further afield.

Anyways, this guy in a private ambulance got done for speeding whilst transporting an organ, and IIRC the conviction hinged on the fact that he was not transporting a person.
    Cambridge News | Latest News From In & Around Cambridge City | Latest Sports, Jobs & Business News in Cambridge Newspaper | Driver who rushed organ to patient facing court for speeding

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by fernando View Post
    did you just email the once? Sometimes emails get stuck in spam filters

I'll have to have a look into this then. I like excuses for riding round the shire and even further afield.

Hi Fernando, I believe there is interest in the Cambridgeshire area, if you go to bloodbikes. org. uk, go to 'Contact Us' and fill in the form, someone will point you in the right direction.

Danny

A Bit Bored
    Liked 23 in 10 posts

I'm thinking of joining South London/Surrey SERV.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,782 in 2,376 posts

Quote Originally Posted by nick h. View Post
    I'm thinking of joining South London/Surrey SERV.
    Good luck. I've sent emails to get details of what it involves and I never got an answer back on any of them. Obviously they must be overflowing with volunteers.

Really Bored
    Liked 824 in 602 posts

We had events..at special evenings, fetes etc..but although I didn't think they would put straight on a Pan European with a bucket of blood, they said "start with fund raising".

No, its ok thanks.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 23 in 10 posts

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    Good luck. I've sent emails to get details of what it involves and I never got an answer back on any of them. Obviously they must be overflowing with volunteers.
    I got a prompt response from Surrey South London SERV:

Many thanks for getting in touch and showing an interest in joining us. I'm sure you're aware, SERV Surrey and South London is your local volunteer Blood Runner group. I'm the recruiting coordinator and my name is Martin.

We''re always in need of more volunteers, so please have a read through the attached information (and below) for an insight into what we do and how it’s done. You can also check out our website at www.servssl.org.uk

We ask our rider, driver and controller volunteers to commit to one night on our fortnightly rota or at least two nights a month if volunteering on an ad-hoc basis (e.g. shift workers). Those on duty are on call between 1900 - 0600 and are based either at home, or our facility in Sutton (whichever suits the volunteer). Riders and drivers can usually expect at least one call-out on a duty night, but they won’t be out all night by any stretch of the imagination (2-3 hours are the norm). Most of our runs start at the NHBT blood bank at St George’s hospital in Tooting and our aim is to deliver the requested blood product to its destination within approximately two hours from receiving the initial call from the hospital in urgent cases. We are also trialling daytime blood running at weekends with volunteers being on call from 0600 - 1900. This is to assist our neighbouring blood running groups and the hospitals in our area.

Although we do have a small fleet of charity vehicles, most runs are carried out using volunteers own bikes/cars with volunteers paying their own running costs. Use of the charity bikes, car and van are restricted to those over 30 years old who hold an advanced riding qualification (for the bikes) and a minimum active period with us (typically, 12 duties within 6 months or less). UK based insurance companies shouldn't ask for any extra money to cover volunteer work using your own vehicle, especially those companies who have signed up to the ABI commitment. (See the PDF in the link for companies who have signed up to the agreement.)

Volunteer riders;

Riders will need to hold an advanced riding qualification before joining us (for advanced riding groups, see these links; IAM, RoSPA or DIAmond. Police motorcycle training will be more than adequate) and all riders will need to undertake a 1-2 hour riding assessment with one of our tame advanced riding observers. I'm afraid a Bikesafe day, although useful, won't qualify as advanced training.

Volunteer drivers;

Car drivers are just as important to us, as we often have runs that require more than one box to be transported (and you can only fit so much onto the back of a bike!) Also, during the winter months when temperatures drop to 3°C and below, we only use cars. There are currently no assessments for car drivers.

Volunteer Controllers;

Controllers are the king-pin of every shift and will coordinate the logistics for the night. Without them, we cannot provide a service to our hospitals and we're in just as much need of more Controllers as we are riders and drivers. New Controllers will receive two training sessions with one of our experienced controllers, then as many shadowed sessions with another controller as they feel comfortable with before going solo and controlling on their own. New Controllers (and indeed the "Old Guard" too) have a network of support from many in the team, so help is always just a phone call away- regardless of the time of night! Experience is not needed to train as a Controller but the role does require a computer/laptop with internet access and a mobile phone with a reliable reception, and duties can be carried out in the comfort of your own home. Controller training will normally comprise of an initial training session for a few hours of a shift, where the trainee shadows the Controller (this is where the Controller will show the trainee the ropes). The next session will be with the trainee at the helm, with the Controller overseeing things (you can have as many of these sessions as you feel comfortable with). The final session will be a sign off session where the trainee will be controlling the shift and their work is sanity checked by a senior Controller to ensure all the training bases have been covered.

Behind the scenes volunteers;

We also need help with our administration, fund raising, public relations and event organising too. Please get in touch if you have the skills that can help us in any of these areas (or if you know of anyone else who can help).

If you like what you’ve read in the attachments and can commit to the above (in any of the roles), please fill in and return the attached application form, either electronically or by mail (addresses are on the form). I've also attached our code of practice document that states what volunteers can expect from SERV S&SL, and what the charity would like from its volunteers. (No need to sign this just yet, we'll save that for your induction.)

We run induction/information evenings every month from January to November, usually in the first week of the month. The next induction will be on Monday 7th October On the evening, we’ll aim to open the doors by 1900 for a 1930 start and will be finished by approximately 2200. The inductions currently take place in Sutton but I'll send out more details about it nearer the time if you want to take things further.

At the induction, we’ll go into more details about how we do things. If that doesn’t scare you off and you want to go ahead and join us, we’ll start your training there and then with a short “Death by PowerPoint” presentation on our Good Distribution Practices (GDP). We’re auditable by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority (MHRA) so a short test will follow the presentation (don’t worry, nobody has ever failed).

Approximately 2 weeks after the induction, we'll take you on a sight familiarisation ride/drive around some of the key places that we visit (the bunkhouse in Cheam, the blood bank in Tooting and a couple of hospitals too.) Riders and drivers, we'll also relieve you of a £45 donation of your hard-earned cash and then issue your SERV kit before the ride/drive starts. Once you've done that and the riding assessment (if applicable) you'll be able to go out on the road with us and make a positive difference to people's lives, if not helping to save the lives of some!

If this isn't for you after all, please encourage friends and relatives to share our social media pages to help spread the word (see links below). We're very grateful for all the help we can get!

If you have any questions, by all means call me on the number below.

Looking forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best regards

Martin Whitehead

Recruiting Coordinator
    SERV Surrey & South London
    07432 221981
    recruit@servssl.org.uk
    www.servssl.org.uk

Liked 132 in 84 posts

Not that I work for sevr but do you still have to pay your own petrol ?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 23 in 10 posts

Yes, according to their web site. And wear and tear. And jacket rental.

Liked 3,506 in 2,323 posts

Quote Originally Posted by nick h. View Post
    Yes, according to their web site. And wear and tear. And jacket rental.
    It's a hobby, not a career.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 23 in 10 posts

Quite. I hope I am quite realistic about it because I used to do the job for money - the last time I was a courier one of the firm's biggest accounts was the local health authority, collecting samples etc from hospitals and shuttling them to the lab in Tooting.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission