TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Yamaha FZ6 S1 (2004)

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Yamaha FZ6 S1 (2004)

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    In order to make this review relevant it has to be acknowledged that this was my first bike. I bought it used in March 2009 for 2600 and due to inflation plaguing new bikes today, hasn't lost any money, which make the whole experience even sweeter.

Since it was a first bike, I will try and hide the fact that I am probably a little bit attached to the thing by some non rational feelings. Here's a good points / bad points review where I'll try and be as objective as possible.

Good points:

- Neutral ride: it won't catch you unaware and will let you know what's happening under your wheels

- Forgiving: it won't throw you down the road if (when) you get it wrong, grab too much front on a damp surface in a corner etc... It'll just slide neutrally until the front re-acquire grip. Obviously, ride with caution, too much and you will fall. Be sensible and the bike will be sensible too.

- Flexible engine: as a first bike, you'll find enough power everywhere unless you are going slow in 5th and 6th, then you'll need to go one or two cogs down.

- Easy maintenance: 6000 miles in year and nothing has gone wrong. Service is cheap and should be easy to do yourself it you wish to. Easy to clean too.

- Comfy: had one long trip on it (600 mile) and felt OK. The sit up and beg position can be bit hard on the lower back but the 1 piece seat allow you to shift your buttocks back and forth so you can find a better position.

- Cheap to insure: 30 y.o, town location, garaged, datatagged = 300 with Carole Nash incl. helmet and leather replacement and legal cover. No pillion and they've extended my mileage allowance by 2000 miles for free.

Bad points:

- Vague front: my bike was 130000 miles so maybe the shocks were due a refurbishment. Rear was fine but the front wasn't giving a lot of feedback, especially when I wanted to go a little faster in some well known to me turns. It didn't fill me with confidence and made me back off. A test ride with several others, newer bikes on my favourite roads made me realise this.

- Revy engine: in terms of speed, the engine would come alive around 8000rpm, resulting in very little torque low down. Following your mates on litre bikes will make you dance on the gear-lever. Detuned R6 engine revs to 14000rpm sounds good with race pipes though, but can prove tiring.

Overall a perfect first bike: you will realise that there is better out there but it'll fill you with confidence for the rest of your biking career.

Enjoy

JB

Last edited by JBL; 11-03-10 at 09:25.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission