TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Rukka Armacor & particularly Armarina ladies textile jacket/trousers

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Rukka Armacor & particularly Armarina ladies textile jacket/trousers

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I wanted to replace my Frank Thomas mid-range goretex kit for high end Winter kit, particularly to ride on the GSXR in colder weather, so textiles which should have some decent armour. They'd also be used on the scooter and worn through deepest darkest Winter.

I visited Infinity and looked at the Anna and the Armarina gear; the main difference between the two being that Anna is made of gore tex and Armarina has the Armacor textile, the latter being demonstrated as totally waterproof (the assistant threw over a glass of water which ran off the material without being absorbed at all). Impressed, and fed up of sweating in traditional overgear waterproofs, I tried on the Armarina gear and decided to pay the premium, given that they'll be worn every day for at least 2/3 of the year and to last for 10 years. They also have a 5 year warranty.

These are my initial views:

Armacor textile - I've now worn both in warmer weather and in the wet. The rain does not run off the material but beads on the textile without being absorbed unlike my Frank Thomas gore tex which absorbed the water, weighed the jacket down, and then dripped on the kitchen floor all night. With armacor, you can brush the wetness off and the textile is dry to the touch within 15 mins. I'm happy with this performance.

Build - fantastic. Tough material, I imagine it's totally scuff proof and it's definitely what I'd want to be wearing in an off. The armour is serious stuff and similar to my Force Field back protector. I've left all the armour in including the hip pieces which had to bed in, being as I am in the sportsbike position.

Fit - rubbish. Maybe my own fault for not trying on enough sizes - seemed fine in the shop though. I'm a size 8-10 and got a size 38 (UK 10) trouser and size 36 (UK jacket. When I first got the trousers, I wore them with the braces but found them to ride up the crotch very uncomfortably. It could be that this is just in the sportsbike position. Without the braces, I've eliminated this problem but now they seem to sit on the hips and really bag out on the bum. I don't think going down a size would have helped. The jacket fits in length of the arms and waist, and zips well with the trousers, but is baggy around the front. I guess i could pack it out with jumpers or a pregnancy, etc. EDIT: I've taken the trousers back to see if i can exchange to the right size. Infinity has been very good about this given the length of time I had them.

Cold weather - it was quite a cold commute home this evening and I commuted back in my long sleeved merino extra warm top and 40 denier tights. This gear seems much more lightweight than my Frank Thomas and I was quite cold on the way home. The arms particularly don't have elastic to stop draughts coming up the sleeves. To be honest, I hadn't zipped the two pieces together and I think the jury is still out on the performance in the cold. I was somehow thinking it would be superwarm gear but I'm beginning to think the gear is more spring/autumn wet use.

It's still early days on the kit and with the cold weather coming this week and packing it full of jumpers, I may change my mind. Also, it might ride better on the scooter, ie. more upright position. I'll add an update in next couple of weeks

Edit to review above (added in May 2010): Now owned this gear for a while and and wanted to add my update. I exchanged trousers to to what is obviously the correct size for me (Infinity were brilliant about the exchange after my having them for 1 month already). Now the fit is right and I've worn them a bit, they're really comfortable, very wind proof, very sturdy, comfortable on both gsxr and scooter and pretty fine looking. Still think they'll be too cold in Winter, but overall, I'd purchase them all over again. Review changed to a thumbs up.
    Last edited by Rider; 10-05-10 at 20:35.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 70 in 47 posts

Exclamation Re: Rukka Armacor & particularly Armarina ladies textile jacket/trousers

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    The armour is serious stuff
    Unfortunately, the armour fitted as standard in Rukka clothing is only CE Level 1 I think this is very disappointing, considering the price of Rukka kit.

If you want to upgrade to Level 2 armour, then you need to buy Rukka's XTR armour

See: Rukka protectors (back, limb and body armour)

Liked 359 in 185 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rukka Armacor & particularly Armarina ladies textile jacket/trousers

It was only when talking to someone with new Rukka kit that I was told the armour was CE Level One. When I compared it to the Forcefield stuff in the shop, it became obvious. Good armour is not cheap for a reason.

I also used to get my Rukka suit (also Armacor) professionally cleaned and reproved (still leaked a bit) at the end of summer ready for winter. I've not had to do that with my Hideout Hi-Pro suit. Still repels water after two winters and probably 40,000 miles.

4. The following user liked this post made by whysub:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 70 in 47 posts

Default Re: Rukka Armacor & particularly Armarina ladies textile jacket/trousers

The Hideout Hi-pro garments get a lot of high praise. If only I could afford one! Dear Santa ...

I heard that Rukka no longer makes all their clothing in Finland Perhaps the quality's declined as a result. Either way, Hi-Pro clothing is tested to a far higher safety spec.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission