TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Sidi B2 gortex boots

That little space to the left of my brain
    Liked 44 in 29 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Sidi B2 gortex boots

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Firstly, why the B2. I would guess most riders would have heard of the Sidi Sidi Rain boot and also the various Verigo boots, including the Gortex version.

Well, when I was looking for new boots I spoke to Sarah at Jordan Motorcycles. I had previously had two pairs of Sidi Rain boots and to cut a long story short had sworn that i would never get a Sidi boot again. She had good things to say about the Vertigo gortex for a road boot, but for my style of riding she suggested the slightly cheaper B2, which still had the gortex lining, but was a slightly simpler boot in a plainer all black 'road' style, i.e. ideal for me.

The next thing was fit. My foot size is a slightly wide UK 10, but I always seem to struggle with bike boots. So I took a punt and went for a size 46 which equate roughly to a UK 11-11.5.

That was my first good decision. The boots were totally comfortable from the off and I could either wear my thick winter socks or thinner socks for Summer use. Lets be clear here, would I want to be walking around in the boots all day? Not really, but that is not why I bought them. I have worn them all day for the odd work day, but that has not involved a lot of walking, apart from to the pub at lunch!

And this brings up the only fault I've found with the boot so far. Not really a fault I guess but the soles are showing signs of wear. Now it could be that it is just the pattern on the sole, but it is something I will be keeping an eye on. This is the only reason why my mark for build quality is slightly lower. I'll come back to this review in a years time to see how the soles are doing then.

As for the rest of the boot, the build quality looks excellent, I have ridden them at least five days a week in all weather conditions and my feet have stayed dry and comfortable. I have now also ridden them in very hot conditions on all day rides. Yes, my feet do get hot, but it is well worth having a breathable boot, no more sweaty feet after a long ride! On a side note, make sure you wear suitable socks. I wear my running socks on hot days as they also help to keep my feet sweat and smell free.

As for rain, so far so good. It will be interesting to se how they measure up long term, but so far they have been better than any other boot I've used in the rain. I did a Wales ride and had about five hours of constant rain and my feet were still warm and dry by the end of it. Ditto for the cold. those of us who went on the Easter Tour this year will have fond memories of the snow banks on the side of the road. Despite spending all day in the saddle, not once did my feet get uncomfortably cold. Again, I think decent socks make all the difference. I was always wearing a pair of coolmax walking socks. The combination worked very well.

The leather on the boots seems to be wearing very well. I do use a leather protection product which I rub into the boots quite regularly which seems to help the creases develop without splitting. I guess it doesnt matter what you use, some kind of neutral dubbing should do the job. the only slight isse I have is with the cap of the boot, which is my own fault as i tend to scrape them occasionally. Luckily there is a replaceable toeslider that mainly covers this.

As for protection, I cant really comment (thankfully), I have heard good things about the boot though. they have the Sidi hinged system in place, although I believe it is not as comprehensive as the system on the Vertigo. It feels like a decent boot though, I cant comment further than that.

So overall I think I have a decent boot. It is more than I have spent on a bike boot before, but the extra money seems to have been well spent. They seem to have coped with everything i have thrown at them so far, from daily commuting to long rides in the wet or Summer heat.

Retail wise they come in at 210, although with a bit of shopping around they can be got cheaper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked 2,073 in 1,246 posts

Default Re: Sidi B2 gortex boots

Excellent Boots and I can comment on protection... the same boots saved my ankle from getting broken in an accident where I hit a car sideways...

Liked: 1/1
    Blog Entries

Another thumbs up for the B2s.

Two years every day, all weather commuting and one low speed off and the boots still look good and are completely waterproof. The ankle slider is slightly scuffed but not enough to warrant replacing.

I haven't used any leather treatment yet. Maybe I should

At Work
    Liked
    2/1
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that review Bonners, mucho appreciated. The B2 & Vertigo are at the top of my list at the mo to replace my very trusty Sidi Black Rain Evo. Can I just ask after 2 pairs of Rains, why you decided against them again??

And thanks also to Mr OCD and Satman for your input. B2 it will be then. K2 Motorcycles in Stoke have them at 192 at the mo and M&P at 189.

Cheers

DM

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 2,367 in 1,036 posts

i've got some of these. they have been faultless in nearly 2 years of ownership.

Liked 1,415 in 730 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DebtMan View Post
    Can I just ask after 2 pairs of Rains, why you decided against them again??
    Because Black Rains aren't waterproof.

Liked 1,415 in 730 posts

Just bought a pair of B2's this afternoon. Hopefully dry feet next week.

That little space to the left of my brain
    Liked 44 in 29 posts
    Blog Entries

Just wandering around the site and I never realised that the reviews section had gone back to how it used to be...I may start writing about my kit again. By coincidence it is four years to the day since I wrote this review...and the boots are still going strong. The soles are now wafer thin, but they havent holed and the boots are still 100% waterproof; did a few days touring Wales earlier in the year and they still held up with full days in the saddle. I guess kind of a pointless review now as they will no doubt have been superseded by something else, but nice to see some kit is worth spending the extra few pounds on.

Liked 2,073 in 1,246 posts

You can still buy them ... ... Mine are 6yrs old now and still used daily ... I actually have some SIDI ST's now as well but prefer the B2's as so comfy!

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission