TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Bends Basics' for just 60!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

Default 'Bends Basics' for just 60!

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Bends Basics.jpg

A brand-new for 2011 half-day course exploring core advanced cornering technique, eg: positioning for view and for safety, planning a line round a bend, dealing with tightening corners, countersteering, and throttle control.

I've been running them now for some months for Kent & Sussex Bikers forum and have received very positive feedback.

These are "starter" sessions looking at the basics of advanced cornering technique, including positioning for view and for safety, how to plan your line round a bend, how to avoid being surprised by a tightening corner, countersteering, and throttle control. In short, it covers everything that a basic rider course like Direct Access usually leaves out through lack of time.

If you've never done any post-test training, then these sessions are perfect. They won't push you too hard, but they will give you a confidence booster.

They are a perfect way to follow up a "Bikesafe" assessment with some better cornering technique, to give you a chance to run through the annual "Better Cornering" articles that appear in the bike press with an instructor, or to get some help with preparing for your advanced bike test!

All for a recession-busting 60. Drop us a line and book one now!
    Last edited by The Spin Doctor; 13-05-11 at 08:18.

Liked 177 in 106 posts

Default Re: 'Bends Basics' for just 60!

As soon as you see me mention anywhere I've got a job... pm me and I'll do that

Liked 1,458 in 1,021 posts
    Blog Entries

by gum that's good value for yer money & top so relevant content. Nice one Spin.

Liked 2,994 in 1,481 posts

How far west do you go with the course? Got a friend in Gloucester who has just been asking where to go to improve. But with a young family, he's not likely to get over to Kent/Sussex for it

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

How far west do you go with the course? Got a friend in Gloucester who has just been asking where to go to improve. But with a young family, he's not likely to get over to Kent/Sussex for it
    Understandable.

But if I run these in Oxfordshire, it'll have to be piggybacked onto my other training courses, as for 60 I'll just about have enough left over for a round of beer after putting petrol in the bike to get there and back again!

As it happens, I have a course in Oxford coming up and could offer him one of these sessions on any of:

Friday 10 June 3pm
    Sun 12 June 3pm
    Mon 13 June 10am

If any of these might work tell him to drop me a line by email survivalskills@clara.net!

Liked 2,994 in 1,481 posts

Thanx - I've forwarded the info to him

Liked 1,641 in 1,005 posts

That is such a cracking good offer Spin. I'm very very interested. Just need to work out when I fit in with the dates etc... I might not get lost finding your place this time around.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Makman View Post
    That is such a cracking good offer Spin. I'm very very interested. Just need to work out when I fit in with the dates etc... I might not get lost finding your place this time around.
    Drop me an email and I'll update you with the latest availability!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

These courses are on offer again in Kent - at the same price of 60! We've run them now for three years and feedback has been universally good. Although these are "starter" sessions, that's only be contrast with my full Performance: BENDS and Performance: SPORT course. We look at the core skills of advanced cornering technique, including positioning for view and for safety, how to plan your line round a bend, how to avoid being surprised by a tightening corner, countersteering, and throttle control. In short, it covers everything that a basic rider course like Direct Access usually leaves out through lack of time and will take you to near IAM standard in cornering technique.

We also offer a two hour collision avoidance course which looks specifically at how to avoid the urban SMIDSY collisions. We look at the twin techniques of evasion - using practical manoeuvering skills and avoidance - using hazard perception skills. And we work on understanding why they happen through looking at driver psychology.

And we also run two hour night riding courses. These are evening courses, timed to start in daylight, then go through the awkward period of twilight before finishing up in full darkness. That allows us to adapt to the changing light levels and the very different view offered by the bike’s headlight.

All three two hour courses are 60, and with the exception of the Night Riding course can be run days or evenings, 7 days a week. See the website at Welcome to Survival Skills advanced rider training, and visit our busy Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/survivalskills!

Liked 2,066 in 1,243 posts

What would you suggest as a refresh?

Liked 2,881 in 1,892 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr OCD View Post
    Set him a challenge

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Set him a challenge
    No, I am NOT running, swimming and cycling from John O'Groats to Lands End!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr OCD View Post
    Hello!! Remind me - have you taken the second day of my Bends course - the one that covers unusual techniques like body shifting incl mild hanging off (NOT knee-down), braking into and mid-corner and looks at hairpin bends? If you've not done that one, it would be a good addition

If you have done that course, I can run a 5 hour refresher for you, which assesses your riding then revisits the bits of skill that are rusty or gone missing. We could take a fun day up into the Cambrian Mountains in mid-Wales - that's always a good challenge!

Alternatively I can always run a 2 hour assessment, which is an observed ride with feedback - but that would have to be done from Oxford.

I'm up in Oxford and at the moment Sat 17 is free. Sun 18 is provisionally booked but might come free if the person doesn't take his optional second day.

Any thoughts on those ideas?

Liked 5,293 in 3,315 posts
    Blog Entries

Our lass drives me round the bend

Hi Mr Spin

Liked 2,066 in 1,243 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    Hello!! Remind me - have you taken the second day of my Bends course - the one that covers unusual techniques like body shifting incl mild hanging off (NOT knee-down), braking into and mid-corner and looks at hairpin bends? If you've not done that one, it would be a good addition

If you have done that course, I can run a 5 hour refresher for you, which assesses your riding then revisits the bits of skill that are rusty or gone missing. We could take a fun day up into the Cambrian Mountains in mid-Wales - that's always a good challenge!

Alternatively I can always run a 2 hour assessment, which is an observed ride with feedback - but that would have to be done from Oxford.

I'm up in Oxford and at the moment Sat 17 is free. Sun 18 is provisionally booked but might come free if the person doesn't take his optional second day.

Any thoughts on those ideas?
    Hiya

Yes, I have done the bends 1 and 2 course... the cambrian mountain refresher sounds good ... my best mate may also be interested.

Cost / Availability? - PM if you prefer

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission