TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cg125 not (really) selecting 3rd gear

Should Get Out More Savio Du Funk's Avatar
    Liked 3,630 in 1,290 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Cg125 not (really) selecting 3rd gear

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hello clever types

A friend's cg125 has recently had a new c+s. Shortly after, the clutch cable snapped.

Shortly after this was replaced, 3rd gear did a lord lucan

He says after about 40 or so attempts it will engage, and then 4th and 5th are both fine... But it's this 3rd gear problem

Any ideas?

Liked 1,130 in 739 posts

Default Re: Cg125 not (really) selecting 3rd gear

Dogs? Forks?
    Anyway, I'd bet you can fit a Honda or Chinese clone engine for not much money.

Liked 2,772 in 1,655 posts

It might be the clutch cable adjustment needs a tweak.

Other than that if he set the chain too tight it may have damaged the gearbox as morti says, you'd have thought more likely 1st or 2nd than 3rd but you never know.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 7 in 6 posts

c+s ?

Liked 2,323 in 1,052 posts

Quote Originally Posted by FlatheadDave View Post
    c+s ?
    Chain and sprockets. Even a WLA has those...

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,944 in 2,784 posts

Difficult gear selection caused by too tight a chain. Difficult gear selection due to badly adjusted cable. Ham footed booting into a difficult gear has probably bent a selector fork.

Ask him if he had been putting a lot more pressure than usual on the gear lever. If he is honest and was being harsh, he's bent a fork and the engine is BER.

S.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 7 in 6 posts

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    Chain and sprockets. Even a WLA has those...
    Thanks.
    How very dare you,it's a WLC.
    I think you know more than is good for me.

Liked 1,229 in 822 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Ask him if he had been putting a lot more pressure than usual on the gear lever. If he is honest and was being harsh, he's bent a fork and the engine is BER.

S.
    Really? non-working engine with alright gearbox? Blown up engine? Its fun taking bike engines apart and playing with the gearbox. And the CG is light enough to do it sensibly, as opposed to a ZZR600 engine which is a bit heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzilla View Post
    Really? non-working engine with alright gearbox? Blown up engine? Its fun taking bike engines apart and playing with the gearbox. And the CG is light enough to do it sensibly, as opposed to a ZZR600 engine which is a bit heavy.
    I'm guessing a CG125 engine is going to be 75-100 or 200 for a super nice one. Old one out, new one in, job jobbed.

But take engine out, take to bits, assess damage, buy the parts, gaskets, oils, reassembled, blah.... Finger in the air 100 to 150 depending on parts, couple of weekends spent doing it.

Well, all I am saying is, you really would have to enjoy it. A lot. As for paying a bike shop, just add a hundred odd quid, maybe two hundred to be sure. nObody rides a CG125 for fun so one assumes it is a workhorse commuter, you'll either need a replacement or you'll be on Shank's pony all the time it's guts are decorating the shed.

Easier to do a swap repair and if you can be bothered, refit the original engine after you fixed it at your leisure. While the engine is apart, suddenly you'll be looking at clutch, valve gear or even rebore/hone etc.

Liked 1,229 in 822 posts
    Blog Entries

Well, all I am saying is, you really would have to enjoy it. A lot.
    Agreed. Perhaps I'm just a bit weird in that respect.

Any clues on the legality of just swapping the engine? Do you have to re-register the bike with a different engine number? Is it just a matter of informing DVLA? I got some really conflicting views from DVLA when I looked at this, and the old engine is going back in (principally because I fixed the problem, and can't be bothered with all the hassle of talking to DVLA now, and there was some grumbling that I didn't like from the drivetrain on the second engine).

Liked 1,229 in 822 posts
    Blog Entries

Savio, if your mate wants to swap the engine himself, I have access to a very well stocked workshop (i.e. my garage) with loads of tools, bike lift etc. I would be happy to help if he could get the bike, engine and himself over 10 miles south of you. You could come along as well if you like, so long as you promise not to 'help'.

Liked 2,772 in 1,655 posts

Any clues on the legality of just swapping the engine? Do you have to re-register the bike with a different engine number? Is it just a matter of informing DVLA? I got some really conflicting views from DVLA when I looked at this, and the old engine is going back in (principally because I fixed the problem, and can't be bothered with all the hassle of talking to DVLA now, and there was some grumbling that I didn't like from the drivetrain on the second engine).
    Yeah it's just a DVLA letter job to update the V5 but only because the motor has numbers and is easily checkable at the roadside by dibble.

For anything else (other than frames for the same reason as motors) just don't tell them, it's way too much hassle and they'll try to pointlessly moan about Q plates amd inspections. My own bike has parts from half a dozen different bike models, the sort of thing that would give a pen-pusher an epileptic fit of glee but in reality it's a roadworthy 20 year old bike with value of 500 quid.

Liked 2,362 in 1,214 posts

I'm guessing a CG125 engine is going to be 75-100 or 200 for a super nice one. Old one out, new one in, job jobbed.

But take engine out, take to bits, assess damage, buy the parts, gaskets, oils, reassembled, blah.... Finger in the air 100 to 150 depending on parts, couple of weekends spent doing it.

Well, all I am saying is, you really would have to enjoy it. A lot. As for paying a bike shop, just add a hundred odd quid, maybe two hundred to be sure. nObody rides a CG125 for fun so one assumes it is a workhorse commuter, you'll either need a replacement or you'll be on Shank's pony all the time it's guts are decorating the shed.

Easier to do a swap repair and if you can be bothered, refit the original engine after you fixed it at your leisure. While the engine is apart, suddenly you'll be looking at clutch, valve gear or even rebore/hone etc.

Sounds like leadfoot has bent a selector fork. Even if he's happy to take it all apart he'll need to work out which fork and whether he's also mullered the dogs on the gears (and which gears).

Yes you should inform DVLA. If only to keep your insurance valid. What if the replacement engine seizes and causes an accident? When is an engine most likely to seize - when it's just had a major overhaul!

Liked 951 in 533 posts

What screw says get a SH "good"engine unless he has the savvy to fix it himself or you could do it for him SVD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission