TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Retrieving pics from the internal memory of a physically broken Nokia C2 Mobile?

Liked 182 in 100 posts

Exclamation Retrieving pics from the internal memory of a physically broken Nokia C2 Mobile?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi folks,

I have a problem - The wife's phone (Nokia C2-01) has been stomped and no longer displays anything on the screen or registers as there when plugged into a PC. It does switch on and make the PIN accepted sound, so it's not totally dead.

Our honeymoon pics are on there and it was broken the evening we got back, before we'd had chance to get them onto any other media (I am very careful about triple location copies of all important data but simply didn't get chance this time).

These pics can't just be recreated, and it's bloody disappointing to have lost them. Is there anything I can do to retrieve them? I'm willing to get my wallet out and/or see the phone completely dismantled if need be.

Careful backup in the past has meant I've never needed data recovery programs or services before, so I'm utterly clueless here.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks folks.

Liked 2,813 in 2,014 posts

Default Re: Retrieving pics from the internal memory of a physically broken Nokia C2 Mobile?

My nokia does not register when plugged into the PC, i need to select from a menu that pops up when plugged in. You phone may be the same. Does it make calls or receive them when you turn it on? Reason i ask is you just may want a new screen.

Liked 182 in 100 posts

Default Re: Retrieving pics from the internal memory of a physically broken Nokia C2 Mobile?

Just checked - It does ring when called.

When the phone is plugged into the PC the keypad lights up, so the phone is 'seeing' something, but there is nothing in Windows or Nokia PC Suite to say it has been seen by the PC.

An identical C2 being plugged in to the same PC prompts the 'What would you like to do?' pop up that USB drives and the like get when plugged in, the identical phone also registers as present in 'My Computer' when plugged in. The broken one doesn't. I've tried it on a second PC which also gives no sign of it being plugged in.

It's not just the screen that's broken, the keypad is partially separated from the body too and doesn't want to go back into place.

Liked 2,813 in 2,014 posts

Only thing to try before giving it to the experts is strip both phones and build one round the main board that has your pictures on. If you are lucky the board is fine.

Liked 182 in 100 posts

Thanks for the advice 1888.

After a bit more Googling I'm going to try to back up the phone's contents to a Micro SD card. Going through the process on the working phone and copying the keystrokes on the broken one should negate the need to see any display.

If that doesn't work I'll get the screwdrivers out and try your suggestion of a rebuild around the broken phone's board.

If that isn't successful I'll try a repair/recovery place. Any suggestions anyone?

Any other useful suggestions still welcome also....

Ta.

Liked 5,078 in 3,392 posts

A long shot but non destructive and maybe worth trying before you get the screwdrivers out:

Try it on a different operating system. If you haven't got one already, download a Linux live cd (eg Download | Ubuntu) boot from it and see if it recognises your phone.

Liked 1,497 in 1,048 posts
    Blog Entries

you'll have to wade through some muppets but there's usually a thorough strip down video of most phones on youtube. Not always in english, but that doesn't matter.

nokias own forums can be very helpful too.

I'm not liking that the PC can't see the device. Hang on-don't you have to push a button on the phone when you connect to select what mode? Maybe phone 2 has had a setting made to 'always do this action'?

Otherwise if the SD backup doesn't work, try sending a text to the other phone. If that works then send your piccies to yourself.

Liked 182 in 100 posts

Quote Originally Posted by PG View Post
    .....I'm going to try to back up the phone's contents to a Micro SD card. Going through the process on the working phone and copying the keystrokes on the broken one should negate the need to see any display.
    I forgot to update this thread. That^ worked a treat. Backed up to the card 'blind' then copied that backup onto a working phone. Thanks again for the help folks

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission