TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rideout Ettiquette.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Rideout Ettiquette.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    As a fair few of us organising rides around here use it (obviously the specifics are just for my rides but the general gist is used by many), I thought I might as well move it over:
    Abridged version for the hard of reading:

PLEASE TRY NOT TO CRASH.

DON'T RIDE LIKE A TIT IF IT WILL AFFECT OTHERS ON THE RIDE.

If you are behind the leader when he comes to a junction, stop, mark the direction taken for the rest of the group and move on again when the nominated tail ender arrives.

Ride your own ride.

Ta.

More for those who like a little more organisation:

(I wont call them rules cos its up to you, but heres a few simple ways to make things run smoothly)

Before you get there.
    • LET THE ORGANISER KNOW YOU ARE COMING. It means they can let YOU know if its off/postponed/moved/running late...
      If you want to go but can't make it, let the organiser know as if it looks like nobody is interested they won't bother organising any more.
    • Make sure you have the ride leaders mobile number (mine is in my profile). Text message is the prefered method of contact as a reply can be made without removing helmet etc. The main exceptions are in the event of an emergency or a breakdown when the fact it is a call not a text alerts the leader to the fact it is something urgent.
    • If you are going to be late or not going to make it, please have the decency to text the organiser and let them know so the ride isn't held up waiting for people who aren't coming.
    • Bring a copy of the route if it is available to you, and a map (or at least familiarise yourself with the route/area, using a map beforehand) so if for any reason you do split from the group you can continue alone.
    • Make sure your bike is in a good enough condition to make the distance. A ride truncated by your poor maintenance is no fun for anyone.
    • Try to arrive with a full tank, or fill up on arrival at the start point if possible.
    • Like your mum said, make sure you go before you go.

On the road.
    If you are second on the road, don't sit right up the leaders arse (or anyone else's for that matter). There is no need for it and it pisses them off!
    Give everyone some space.

The Marker System

The system is designed so anyone from a racer to a novice can follow a great route as worked out by the ride leader, possibly on unfamiliar roads, without the hassle of trying to navigate yourself as the route will be marked for you.
    It is designed so all ride attendees can and positively should ride at a pace they are comfortable with, be that fast, slow or somewhere in between.
    It is not designed to provide a "group" ride where all attendees stick together in one big gaggle riding to the pace of the slowest rider. If you choose to slow down to ride the route with a slower rider, or ride in a mini "gaggle" of similar paced riders that is fine, but the social part of the ride is primarily during the breaks for food, fuel and drink along the way.
    The idea is not to keep up, but to follow the route at your own pace. Any pressure felt to keep up is purely self induced and quite frankly if you do not have the common sense and willpower to know when enough is enough for you then you really are not welcome on the ride. ALL riders are welcome, as long as they are safe. If you are riding out of your comfort zone to keep up you are not safe, hence not welcome.

How the system works:

THE SYSTEM RELIES ON YOU TO DO YOUR BIT SO PLEASE GET THE FOLLOWING STRAIGHT IN YOUR HEAD.

It requires a leader, a tailender, and the riders(you!).
    • The leader - is familiar with the route, and follows it. He should carry a mobile in case of problems on route. He should point out to the first person behind him where to sit to be best positioned to mark each junction.
    • The tailender - is ideally familiar with the route also, but doesn't have to be. They will stay at the back for the entire ride and will be pointed out at the beginning of the ride. (They may wear a fluro vest to make them obvious). The tailender is exactly that, everyone else stays in front of them, so they should move the junction marker on once they arrive, this also ensures there is no confusion as to who is the rear bike.
      They should carry a mobile with the leaders number in case of problems on route.
      If anyone drops out of the group the tailender should stop with them and find out what is going on.
      If there is a problem they should get in touch with the leader, or if they are just stopping for a pee wait with them so the marker stays in place at the next junction.
    • The riders - at any point the route deviates from the strip of tarmac in front, the first of the riders behind the leader will stop to mark the way at the junction in a place prominent to the rest of the following group.
      THEY MUST NOT MOVE UNTIL THE TAILENDER ARRIVES.
      If it seems like you have waited ages, wait some more. If they still haven't arrived, phone the leader as he may have heard from them.

Once the tailender has arrived, the junction marker can then work their way carefully back towards the front. Overtaking is encouraged, but please be courteous!
      If anyone sees someone making dangerous overtakes (repeatedly - we all make mistakes sometimes) point it out to the leader, who will have a quiet word. If they carry on they will be asked to leave.
      Meanwhile the group all move forward one, so number two, becomes number one behind the leader so marks the next junction.

If riders are going to drop off the back of the group (behind the tail ender), they must inform the tailender what's going on so the ride leader does not wait for them unnecessarily at the next break.
    • Occasionally the system fails. This is an unavoidable fact of life. Smile. Get over it.
      If the system fails and you get split from the ride, text the ride leader to find where to meet up.

Next to your own personal safety, and definitely more important, should come consideration towards others in the group.

So please follow these few simple points:
    • Do not ride above your ability/limits to try and keep up. There will be a bike waiting for you at the next junction to show you where to go. Do not feel you are holding the group up. You are not. Riding fast is tiring, so marking junctions is a welcome break for those quicker than you.
    • There will also be regular stops for a breather/fag break during which you can catch up safely. (Just because we have pulled over for a couple of minutes it doesn't mean we are having a fag break tho! -if the leaders lid is still on, he ain't planning on stopping)
    • Do not get pushed along by a faster bike behind you. Move over and let them through. Also do not ride harder than you feel comfortable/are safe too to keep up with others. Only play hard with people you know and trust. Slower riders, beware you may be holding up a faster rider and move over, let them past.
    • If you are the faster bike, don't make stupid manoeuvres to get past (especially passing them on the left! ). Wait till they let you through, or find a safe place to get past.
      Faster riders, please give plenty of room when passing and only go for a safe clean pass.
    • It doesn't matter whether you ride like a foggy or a fanny, just go at your own pace.
    • Its not a race and you wont get left behind. Just cos you cant see the bike in front doesn't mean you've got to ride like a loon to catch it up again. Take it steady, someone will be waiting somewhere.
    • If everyone follows these simple ideas we can all enjoy a cracking ride, and have a good chat at the destination.
    • If you bring along some friends, who may have not read this, please brief them on what is expected.
    Last edited by Adam; 25-10-09 at 23:50.

Liked 1,570 in 913 posts

Default Re: Rideout Ettiquette.

Good stuff Adam

Just a couple of things extra from past experiences - if you're a marker, and bored waiting for people, do NOT assume that because you can't get through to the leader on his mobile, that you're free to bugger off!

1) not everyone has a bluetooth helmet, If you can't get through, leave a message and wait for a reply if no markers show up - the leader should get in touch if you've contacted them.
    2) it's guaranteed that the minute you leave, the next person in the ride will arrive and if you're not there to mark them, the rideout gets split up.

Secondly - take a look around at the bikes on the rideout - try to get at least an idea of who's on the ride and what they're on - so you don't assume a stranger who gets mixed up with the ride is a marker, or going the wrong way. Yes, this HAS happened!

Liked 128 in 69 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Good stuff Adam
    Surprised no one thought of doing this earlier

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    Surprised no one thought of doing this earlier
    They did, I plagiarized it off that cuddly wuddly beary beary boo Abel over on VD.

Liked 4,114 in 2,059 posts

Mind if i nick it from that cuddly wuddly beary beary boo on VD too...........trying to convince some locals up here that riding at 110% as lead bike does not a good ride make when there is a group of 20 bikes behind who dont know the way

I have a couple of converts interested in listening but need to convince the masses after the last debacle with 50 bikes of whom 4 made the end point as they could stay with the leader

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    Mind if i nick it from that cuddly wuddly beary beary boo on VD too...........
    Its in the public domain marra.

trying to convince some locals up here that riding at 110% as lead bike does not a good ride make when there is a group of 20 bikes behind who dont know the way
    But that is the whole point of the marker system.
    EVERYONE can go at whatever pace they want, cos the route is marked.

I have a couple of converts interested in listening but need to convince the masses after the last debacle with 50 bikes of whom 4 made the end point as they could stay with the leader
    Want a pro to come up and do it properly?

I think Lisa is free next weekend.

Liked 1,570 in 913 posts

Mind if i nick it from that cuddly wuddly beary beary boo on VD too...........trying to convince some locals up here that riding at 110% as lead bike does not a good ride make when there is a group of 20 bikes behind who dont know the way

As said - as long as the leader actually stops to point out changes in direction to the no 2, it doesn't matter how fast he goes. (if he doesn't then he's a bit of a mong really.... ).

I think we once got in excess of 50 bikes over 100 miles using the system and no-one got lost (1 did stop to fill up and the back marker didn't reach him though, so we were pretty spread out!)

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    As said - as long as the leader actually stops to point out changes in direction to the no 2, it doesn't matter how fast he goes. (if he doesn't then he's a bit of a mong really.... ).

I think what i was told was "its ok we all know where we will end up at the end point " followed by whoooosh off he goes...........me and 3 others stayed with him but that was that.

I have a few who i have already spoken to about using the marker system so will try it out on them first then leave it to them to spread the love

Liked 0 in 0 posts

What a great idea; I organised an evening jolly early this year, we waited almost an hour for two who "were definately coming" but obviously had no intention, neither of them answered their mobiles either; for some reason (probably because I'm a boring t**t) not many were listiening to the route, so after leaving McD's, travelling 300m to a roundabout, turning right and then riding another 400m and turning left, only 3 of 8 remained, miraculously we all met up at the desination,70miles away, but a total cuck up from the word go. How 4 of us doing 1500 miles to Scotland and back earlier this year didn't get split up was unbelieveable.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

After today's ride I have made a few amendments (mainly the bit in italics under "The Marker System").

Liked 92 in 26 posts
    Blog Entries

Just to add my voice...
    Despite the pillock who came up with it, this is a great system if followed properly and if everyone understands it.
    I know it has had its critics in the past (IIRC) but they are usually the people who haven't been on a ride-out using the system and automatically think, because there are so many words in the opening post, that it's too regimented.

It's not. At all.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

I really must write a clause into it that ensures Muz gets dropped off the back tho.

Liked 1,570 in 913 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I really must write a clause into it that ensures Muz gets dropped off the back tho.
    Just get Gimp to explain it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Just flick his kill swith to "off" as you go past while he is stopped at a roundabout.

worked for me as he couldnt get the bugger re started for ages

Liked 92 in 26 posts
    Blog Entries

Just flick his kill swith to "off" as you go past while he is stopped at a roundabout.

worked for me as he couldnt get the bugger re started for ages
    I was caught off-guard

And it was a very dangerous thing to do, young man Jock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission