TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laptop tablets, what to get?

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,796 in 3,006 posts

Default Re: Laptop tablets, what to get?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    What version of Flash did you use for your tests, noticed it was upgraded to 11 last month and not got round to installing it on the phone as 10 is still working OK for me?

Liked 4 in 4 posts

There's something a bit sad about a kid gawping at a screen whilst clicking a mouse, toucscreen games look and feel more expressive, more kinetic, more involving. Common sense suggests they'd develop reflexes, co-ordination and dexterity "better" than a mouse, mice are quite synthetic things.. ever try drawing with one?

Liked 124 in 42 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    There's something a bit sad about a kid gawping at a screen whilst clicking a mouse, toucscreen games look and feel more expressive, more kinetic, more involving. Common sense suggests they'd develop reflexes, co-ordination and dexterity "better" than a mouse, mice are quite synthetic things.. ever try drawing with one?

..................is kind of what i was trying to say but you did it so much betterererererer than i was able to.

Liked 4 in 4 posts

Quote Originally Posted by X81 View Post
    ..................is kind of what i was trying to say but you did it so much betterererererer than i was able to.
    cheers man!

Liked 10,053 in 5,247 posts

I'm talking about preparing kids for using PCs at school and I doubt many schools will have budgets for tablets for a while yet! So using a mouse is probably going to benefit them more now. No real losers in either scenario though.

Liked 21 in 13 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    They do get it though. My daughter soon learnt mouse operation and eye coordination and was dragging and dropping stuff on cbeebies and other websites at just over 2 years old. Its a great help that they can do this when they start school too. Mind you any PC experiance is good and I expect tablets will be in schools later on. Kids that start school without having used a PC are definitely at a disadvantage.

A lot of the games that encourage kids are flash based though, or were when my kids were younger? Maybe worth checking that before dropping s into an iPad that isn't going to let them play the games their mates are? That said I expect the ipads popularity will see more kids using one so assume some helpful kids stuff is on there too?
    Good points there. Learning how to use a mouse is obviously a valuable skill currently. And kids should and will learn that. I don't see it as an either/or thing though - learning how to use a touchscreen takes about 5 seconds and is also useful - it's also a lot easier and more fun for a little kid and enables much more varied activity. You're not going to get a 4 year-old to achieve much in the way of drawing using a mouse but using a finger to draw is instinctive, natural and tactile.

You could be right about looking into what games are available but I'd be very surprised if anyone found a shortage of this on the iPad, and probably Android too. Show me a games developer sat in his office this week saying to himself "I'm sticking with Flash games for the desktop, I'm not touching that iOS/Android muck" and I'll show you a man who'll soon be on benefits.

To take the iPad as an example, there are currently over 500,000 apps available for iOS, and a large chunk of these are games, and a large chunk are specifically for the iPad. A quick glance on iTunes shows there are 21 categories of apps with games being one of them. Within games are 19 sub-categories with 'Kids', 'Educational' and 'Family' being three of those. There are 7,300 'Kids' games, 5,000 'Family' games and 5,000 'Educational' games - so that's over 17,000 games aimed at kids, over 7,000 of which are free. And that's not including the main 'Education' section itself that has all kinds of amazing stuff. Now, a lot of that will be shite and a lot will be much the same as other apps. But the problem is generally whittling down not locating. And the quality has far surpassed what was done with Flash games. I've got as close to having a living fucking pony in my iPad that it's possible to get. My little girl feeds, cleans, rides, photographs and trains it, as well as clearing out its shit. She fucking loves that thing. But anyway... games ain't a problem

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    What version of Flash did you use for your tests, noticed it was upgraded to 11 last month and not got round to installing it on the phone as 10 is still working OK for me?
    I hadn't looked tbh, but I had v11 in the 7" Galaxy and v10 in the 10" Xoom. And none in the iPad

Liked 1,337 in 941 posts

Comparing Android kids games to PC kids games the mouse driven ones are more educational and engaging. I've found most Android games are built on a set of templates and don't vary a lot, from what I've seen of iPhone games they suffer the same problem.

Liked 4 in 4 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    Comparing Android kids games to PC kids games the mouse driven ones are more educational and engaging. I've found most Android games are built on a set of templates and don't vary a lot, from what I've seen of iPhone games they suffer the same problem.
    I doubt you've seen many educational games aimed at kids (and diligent parents) you can trace the alphabet on a touch screen, not with a mouse.. think about it, there is far more variety from the interface with a touch screen.

Liked 21 in 13 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    I'd say that a massive number of games are fairly derivative. Not necessarily in a static way as the trends evolve all the time, but yes, once you've played Angry Birds, Cut the Rope and Flight Control then you can tick off quite a few others. But I wouldn't say it's a problem and that there's a lack of imagination, progress or good games at all. I'd say the current rate of innovation in touch-screen devices is almost certainly higher than it's ever been in computer gaming.

Liked 67 in 26 posts

I've got the newest version of Firefox on my machine at work.
    However, their permissions policy means I can't install the Flash plugin = no youtube or myspace, so I have to use IE for them. But because we have IE7 Myspace flat out won't let me on their site lol. sure it's shite (hate the pop out playlist) but trying to listen to local bands to gig with etc kind of means I need to use it.
    The usual band apps on bands' facebook pages don't work without Flash either.

No videos on either Guardian, BBC, Telegraph or Independent newspapers sites are working either.

Is HTML5 native in Chrome?

Liked 2 in 2 posts

Just to pitch in, I saw these at the Misco Expo recently LIFEBOOK T Series - Tablet PCs - Product catalog - Fujitsu and they're pretty good. Half decent proper laptop wit twisty turny touch/tablet screen. Granted Win7 isn't that great for touch but Win8 is coming and has been designed for touch from the ground up (allegedly). Buy one of these things now and chances are pretty good that it will work ok on Win8.

Liked 2 in 2 posts

Liked 21 in 13 posts

Quote Originally Posted by yourguitarhero View Post
    I've got the newest version of Firefox on my machine at work.
    However, their permissions policy means I can't install the Flash plugin = no youtube or myspace, so I have to use IE for them. But because we have IE7 Myspace flat out won't let me on their site lol. sure it's shite (hate the pop out playlist) but trying to listen to local bands to gig with etc kind of means I need to use it.
    The usual band apps on bands' facebook pages don't work without Flash either.

No videos on either Guardian, BBC, Telegraph or Independent newspapers sites are working either.
    That's not relevant in the case of tablets though. A desktop browser is expected to have the Flash plugin and so won't display content without it. Go to YouTube etc on an iPad and it knows it's an iPad and so serves the relevant format video - it's a transparent process. For the most part, using an iPad will never be a problem visiting what people think of as 'Flash' sites, like YouTube. It will for you if you don't have the plugin in Firefox though

Is HTML5 native in Chrome?
    I don't want to be wanky or over-complicated, but that question really doesn't mean anything. Can you re-phrase it?

Liked 67 in 26 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slenver View Post
    I don't want to be wanky or over-complicated, but that question really doesn't mean anything. Can you re-phrase it?
    I meant "does Chrome support HTML5?" Since there's not going to be an HTML 5 plugin to download and install, and that youtube can do HTML 5 video (right?) then i could download Chrome and use that and I won't get the stupid "media missing" messages all the time. However, it kind of depends on what you are saying about the browser identifying - is youtube smart enough to see I have a browser without flash but one that can support HTML 5 and then give me the video in that format?

For some reason the permissions set up on our work PCs will let me install Firefox (and I'm guessing Chrome), but not the Flash plugin.

ACTUALLY, scrap that. I found this page: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself and have clicked to join the trial so now youtube is giving me vids in HTML 5 on Firefox 4

Liked 4 in 4 posts

I meant "does Chrome support HTML5?" Since there's not going to be an HTML 5 plugin to download and install, and that youtube can do HTML 5 video (right?) then i could download Chrome and use that and I won't get the stupid "media missing" messages all the time. However, it kind of depends on what you are saying about the browser identifying - is youtube smart enough to see I have a browser without flash but one that can support HTML 5 and then give me the video in that format?

For some reason the permissions set up on our work PCs will let me install Firefox (and I'm guessing Chrome), but not the Flash plugin.

ACTUALLY, scrap that. I found this page: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself and have clicked to join the trial so now youtube is giving me vids in HTML 5 on Firefox 4
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission