TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Steam Cleaning?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Steam Cleaning?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    My partner has asked for a steam cleaner for cleaning his KTM off road bike, is this good idea? not sure if it would damage anything on the bike if you were using it to clean it on a regular basis.

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,944 in 2,784 posts

Default Re: Steam Cleaning?

Not if he's careful with it. A proper steam cleaner is just a heated power washer which uses special chemicals in the mix. Ferociously expensive mind!

Need to be careful not to get too close to seals and any other apertures where liquid can get in. Also need to oil any exposed parts once they're washed clean or they will rust/rot.

If it's just for dirt, a small power washer would be a better bet for regular use. You'll get a decent Karcher for 80 - 140 ish.

Screwd.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Thanks very much, that's what I thought.

Liked 2,299 in 1,179 posts

I use a 1500W Karcher jet washer. Does the job fine. In fact I wouldn't want to use steam - that might be useful if you're cleaning 20 years worth of ingrained oil and road dirt off a lorry transmission but for a dirtbike cold water is best, less likely to damage things like seals as well.

One thing you might like to consider is if he wants to wash the bike at a circuit he might need a petrol motor driven one, as there will be no electric points available. However these are relatively expensive so if you'll always be washing the bike at home electric is better, quieter and cheaper.

Liked 119 in 58 posts
    Blog Entries

I think he means a jetwash. I have a steam cleaner (works purely on steam) and while it's great for ingrained filth and car seats, it would take a month to clean a dirty MX bike.

Liked 85 in 67 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zanx View Post
    I think he means a jetwash. I have a steam cleaner (works purely on steam) and while it's great for ingrained filth and car seats, it would take a month to clean a dirty MX bike.
    Nah...proper Steam cleaners are heooge pressure washers with a (usually diesel burning) heater side to them so you actually get a steam pressure washer...
    a Most excellent tool for cleaning bikes with so long as you respect the usual caveats of not directing the jet at bearings seals etc, the heat gives you a far superior clean to a std pressure washer...
    downside is the costs involved....serious kit with a serious price tag, the one I use at my mates shop cost around 2.5k

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Funners View Post
    Nah...proper Steam cleaners are heooge pressure washers with a (usually diesel burning) heater side to them so you actually get a steam pressure washer...
    a Most excellent tool for cleaning bikes with so long as you respect the usual caveats of not directing the jet at bearings seals etc, the heat gives you a far superior clean to a std pressure washer...
    downside is the costs involved....serious kit with a serious price tag, the one I use at my mates shop cost around 2.5k
    But still every one has different opinions for that

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission