Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Build Log. CLC Skerry - Panana

Liked 744 in 492 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Build Log. CLC Skerry - Panana

I have odds and ends of plywood from 2.5mm thick up to 30mm. Can you lay your hands on fairly good quality ply of varying thickness? Your patch could be formed with a variety of plys bonded together.

Liked 3,220 in 1,619 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by protoborg View Post
    I have odds and ends of plywood from 2.5mm thick up to 30mm. Can you lay your hands on fairly good quality ply of varying thickness? Your patch could be formed with a variety of plys bonded together.
    That's pretty much the plan!

The damaged panel is 6mm plywood and I don't have any but I have a fair bit of 3mm ply left over from making paddleboards Laminating 2 bits together will also be easier as all I intend to do is cut one piece of 3mm ply to fit on the cut away 'shelves', hold that in position and from inside the boat mark the outline of the big hole. Transfer that outline to another bit of 3mm ply, cut it out and glue it to the first piece using the scribed line. A bit of a gap will be fine as it'll all be filled with thickened epoxy when I glue it into position. Fibreglass patches inside and out will make a pretty solid patch especially when you bear in mind that the side panels each have 2 scarph joints in them to make the required length. Those joints are stronger than the plywood and although this half butt joint won't be quite as strong as a tapered scarph it should be plenty strong enough. Most of the pressure on it will come from outside the boat but I may have to keep reminding myself that standing on that patch may have an undesired result.

I'm doing the final sanding and first coat of paint on SuP 2 tomorrow morning then I'll have a close look to see how little work I have to do on the bottom panel. Also some sanding ready for the fibreglass patch. I love sanding . . .

Oh and no mate, I can't get my hands on any good quality plywood here which is why I usually go a bit heavy on the fibreglass.

3. The following user liked this post made by Yambo:

Liked 744 in 492 posts
    Blog Entries

Perhaps not relevant to you, I've decided to oil all the woodwork on my boat rather than re-varnish. Oiling means I'll have to re-do it at least every 2 years but the prep is reduced to a minimum, I'm using Danish wood oil, but I came across Tung Oil (Chinese wood oil) which they've been using for more than 2500 years, the main negative seems to be slow hardening 1 to 4 weeks, I think I'll try it on the oars. Apparently it's good for leather too, the oars have leather sheaths.

Liked 1,586 in 946 posts
    Blog Entries

Every time I see this thread or stumble across Funner's blog I want to make a canoe using the glue and stitch method, now I want to make a SUP as well...

I typically head off to the CLC website, google some videos and blogs, get immersed which normally results in a sharp pain at the back of my head as I am slapped back into reality and presented with a list of jobs.

One day!

6. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Silly Car:

Blog Entries

Why not SC?

Seriously, all you really need is somewhere to work and I think I've shown that a full blown workshop is not a necessity. If you doubt your skills and abilities then you need to wise up, you already have them but maybe rarely used. Stitch and glue is not cabinet making, it's more akin to dressmaking and of course there's no rush, you just take your time, think through what you're going to do at each stage and then do it - an example: if you're not making from a kit then it's nice to take your time and sort the pieces of wood so that colours and grain match up as well as possible and deciding what will be a good outside face, especially if you're not going to paint the completed boat. Why rush?

I also make model boats and often admire other peoples' work but the one thing they rarely show you is the size of the rubbish bits in the scrap bin! The size of that pile is probably proportional to the skill and ability of the modeller but not necessarily - good planning and thinking things through can easily minimise mistakes and it's the same with full size boats. Measure twice and cut once is a a great maxim but thinking through the way you make that cut, how to support the workpiece, minimise deflection, what blade to use in the jigsaw to minimise rough edges - that's not skill. When I made Panana I was seriously concerned about cutting scarph joints. I'd never done it before and it looked like a simple way of destroying a lot of expensive plywood. I practiced on some scrap bits of ply then decided to make a jig which worked quite well. Nowadays, with more confidence I get out the little block plane and cut scarphs with that. It's quicker (although I don't rush) and easier. The most important thing to learn was how to sharpen tools!

I think it was the great climber Reinhold Messner who said "The wonderful things in life are the things you do, not the things you have." but when you're out on the water in the boat you made yourself, then some things you have are also wonderful.

Make yourself a fuckin' boat!

8. The following 6 users liked this useful post by Yambo:

Liked 744 in 492 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Car View Post
    Every time I see this thread or stumble across Funner's blog I want to make a canoe using the glue and stitch method, now I want to make a SUP as well...

I typically head off to the CLC website, google some videos and blogs, get immersed which normally results in a sharp pain at the back of my head as I am slapped back into reality and presented with a list of jobs.

One day!
    If I had the time, patience and a place to build I'd have a go at the Wharram 24' Mana
    https://www.wharram.com/site/self-build-boats

Really Bored
    Liked 559 in 404 posts

Here's tenuous, and irrelevant...
    I fixed a Scania in a Dutch barge fir Roger Murray (Artist, cartoonist ex advertising exec) and a couple of weeks after that he had his friend James Wharram over. Roger is 86, Mr Wharram is 89.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,404 in 1,985 posts
    Blog Entries

Yambo, do you want some odd bits of thin ply sending over? I've usually got offcuts in various thicknesses, mostly kept in the box marked 'Bits of plywood too small to to use'. If you do give a us list of the sizes you need.

Postage wouldn't be enough for me to worry about.

Blog Entries

That's very decent of you cheb but unnecessary, thank you. I have loads of plywood kicking around and a fair bit of 3mm ply as the SuP hulls are made from it and there's a fair bit of waste. Having said that I rarely see plywood as waste - so I have a couple of boxes sitting around with off cuts in. I've said this before I think - it's lucky Mrs Y is not around but I guess if she was I probably wouldn't be making boats.

Quote Originally Posted by protoborg View Post
    If I had the time, patience and a place to build I'd have a go at the Wharram 24' Mana
    That's quite a lot of boat there protoborg!

I'm probably going to make one more kayak this winter - a CLC Shearwater 17 is top of the list and I'm going to make the CLC sail rig for the Ches 17. But I also have my eyes on another boat which is not a CLC! I like the look of this:

https://angusrowboats.com/pages/sailing-rowcruiser

Liked 744 in 492 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    That's quite a lot of boat there protoborg!
    I realise that my life is littered with projects I've started and not finished
    I'm probably going to make one more kayak this winter - a CLC Shearwater 17 is top of the list and I'm going to make the CLC sail rig for the Ches 17. But I also have my eyes on another boat which is not a CLC! I like the look of this:

https://angusrowboats.com/pages/sailing-rowcruiser
    Multihulls sail so much faster they create a huge increase in potential range, plus the advantage of not leaning over so much

Blog Entries

Not for the first time this thread is resurrected! I've been busy building another kayak and outriggers but I've also been repairing Panana and building an RC sailboat (maybe more of that later or in another thread). So, back over the page there's a couple of photos of the hole that I got in the hull and the basic way I was intending to repair it. This evening I put the seconf coat of epoxy barrier coat on and tomorrow I'll apply the first of probably 3 topcoats. It may be 2 as I'm probably going to give it a full overhaul next winter - I won't be making another boat so there'll be time.

. . . Now you don't.

As soon as I have the paint on I have to turn the boat over and sort out the other side of the repair but so fat I'm pretty happy. I want it in the water in a couple of weeks, certainly before the end of this month. I need to get out rowing, it's getting too warm for the rowing machine!

15. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Yambo:

Liked 744 in 492 posts
    Blog Entries

I came across this a few months ago, perhaps you'd like to have a look :-

http://www.teamscarab.com.au/index.html

Blog Entries

Thanks protoborg but a) it's too big for me to store and move around and b) I'm not making any more boats. Winters will be spent working on the house and re-furbing the boats I have now. I'm probably going to be helping my 'apprentice' build a kayak this winter but I'll not be building anything myself. He's hoping to build a Shrike which is not only a good looking boat but can be kicked around a bit to make a boat that really fits you well. It can also be scaled down easily for a smaller version. The plans are free from here:

http://cnckayaks.com/project/shrike/

18. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Yambo:

Liked 744 in 492 posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks protoborg but a) it's too big for me to store and move around and b) I'm not making any more boats. Winters will be spent working on the house and re-furbing the boats I have now. I'm probably going to be helping my 'apprentice' build a kayak this winter but I'll not be building anything myself. He's hoping to build a Shrike which is not only a good looking boat but can be kicked around a bit to make a boat that really fits you well. It can also be scaled down easily for a smaller version. The plans are free from here:

http://cnckayaks.com/project/shrike/
    Scarab plans go from a 3.5 metre to a 32 ft if you look at the page

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Revzer View Post
    good looking boat you have there

Thank you but the real credit goes to the designer, I just cut, stitched and glued. And sanded and epoxied and sanded and epoxied and sanded and painted and sanded . . .

After all the fuss repairing her she's back on her mooring

and getting used

21. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Yambo:

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum