TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddock security, need your input.

Liked 119 in 58 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Paddock security, need your input.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I'll be honest, I know nothing about the club racing scene, but appreciate that you guys need to make sure your stuff is still there in the morning and there are some lowlife scum who will happily steal your stuff. So what I really need to know in order to develop my range of stuff is:

a) What do you need to lock?
    b) Is there really a theft problem?
    c) Does your vehicle have a towbar?
    d) How would you feel about making permanent mods to your vehicle?

No need to answer every question, I just need to get a feel for the club race scene and what's needed if anything. PM me if you'd rather not share in public.

Z.

Liked 2,299 in 1,179 posts

Default Re: Paddock security, need your input.

There have been various stories but theft from paddocks is not a huge problem IME. You do hear of the occasional helmet but bikes don't generally go from paddocks (garages, maybe) and most people keep tools, wheels, etc under observation during the day and locked up in vans overnight. Many people are happy to leave stuff in awnings as you can't get into those without making a noise.

Club racing tends to appeal to a smaller audience than big meetings like BSB which draw a lot of randoms, and clubbies are normally quite good at looking after each other.

Where can be a bit dodgy is MX meetings, because pikeys love off-road bikes and the paddocks are typically farmers fields with no security. Some of the riders are a bit 'odd' too. You need to lock everything away at night if camping out at an MX meeting.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 8 in 4 posts

Only place you need to be vigulant is Oulton Park. Many many stories about stuff going missing. Tents getting turned over. Anything that can be stored in a vehicle do it. Leve bare minimum out and if its a cheap crap thing it wont really matter too much if it goes missing.

I've never had anything go missing so far. But first time for everything.

Liked 1,238 in 595 posts

Only thing I ever felt the need to lock up was my genny, if it was set apart from the van (which I would often try to do, to keep the noise down).

Liked 3,950 in 1,965 posts

In my experience Mallory was the worst as all sorts of shit would go walkabout but things like gennys were normally locked up and tools stashed in vehicles. Most of the circuits where garages were available would be left unlocked with 1000's of quids worth of kit in them.

The clubbie scene isnt that bad for thefts and i can only remember a couple of times where it was clear outsiders had come in and nicked kit to order as a lot went in a short time unseen and both those times was at Mallory sadly

Should Get Out More Londongal76's Avatar
    Liked 1,267 in 740 posts
    Blog Entries

Happened a fair few times at Snetterton too as i recall.

Liked 7,422 in 4,193 posts

I never had anything nicked and I used to spread my junk out all over the place.

It could be because all my stuff was shit tho'

Liked 119 in 58 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Londongal76 View Post
    Happened a fair few times at Snetterton too as i recall.
    Gennies? Tools? Tyres?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Been club racing since 1987, I've never had anything stolen but have heard a few stories.

The worst one was at Donnington last year, mostly Phones, laptops & I pads. The guy parked next to me went out to do his race, his wife went to watch when they came back both their phones had gone. His awning was left wide open and they had been putting out warnings over the tannoy all day. Pushbikes are another thing that sometimes go missing.

I usually shut the awning down when I race (not always possible), never get wheels & tyres out the van until I need them, lock the genny to whatever I can, usually something on the van around the back. I don't put the tools away at night but make sure no one can see in. I also try and put something by the zips so its difficult to get in without making a noise.

Some people have gazzebos with no sides and leave all their gear outside in full show for 3 days and never have a problem. I think it depends what kind of gear you have, just look after your stuff as you would as if you were at home. Be trusting but not too trusting.

Liked 93 in 72 posts

Have to agree with all of the above,gennies,pushbikes tend to be favorites and thats at most of the circuits imo-not just the odd one.

The mobile phone stealing was a bit of a one off but may be the future-they were very selective on what they took--innitially i was calling bullshit-untill i found out who had there stuff taken-and the lad dont lie.

in anglesy was warned by security not to use my petrol cans to secure awning as they had been stolen at recent events.

Sorry tc the bit about awnings or garages being secure as people will hear,is not quite true,they may hear but very unlikely anyone would confront the person unless they were certain they were not part of the crew.

On the other hand tc 1000% right on mx-you only have to read the forums to see how many meetings where bikes and kit go missing.UnfortunatelyI think road racing will go the same way
    ,as there is some serious kit and tools at club meetings--and most racers are a trusting lot,which in this day and age is mis guided.

to try to answr zanx q

bike -genney

not too bad but likely to get worse

yes-most have

I would think most would not mind/majority of vehicles at meetings are for race specific use-even if also there normal workhorse

Liked 3,950 in 1,965 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zanx View Post
    Gennies? Tools? Tyres?
    I only recall one weekend at snetterton when a few things went missing but as the club i was with went there 3 times a year i cant remember specifically which one it was ....... again that would lead to the opinion that it was down to outsiders coming in as opposed to a thief in the paddock.

I think Londongal and my time with the club overlapped though a little so her experience may have been after i stopped my involvement

Liked 0 in 0 posts
    Blog Entries

I've been racing 9 years and I've only heard of a laptop being knicked from a caravan at Mallory during a Thundersport meeting and some leathers knicked one evening at Donnington at a "six nations" event I was at. You hear stories occassionally but very little. A few years back at Brands Hatch I gave my (now ex) wife my wallet to look after and she dropped it as she put it in her pocket, I got it back with everything intact including cash.

Being from London I'm pretty un-trusting so tend to lock as much as I can in my van. I also chain my genny to the van or bike depending on the time of day.

I hire vans so can't modify them at all....which is a shame.

Generally I don't feel theft is a bif deal, most racers look out for others.

Liked 119 in 58 posts
    Blog Entries

It's sounding like most losses could be prevented by people looking after their stuff properly, with the exception of MX which is frequented by scumbags. Is that a fair synopsis?

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,646 in 986 posts

It's sounding like most losses could be prevented by people looking after their stuff properly, with the exception of MX which is frequented by scumbags. Is that a fair synopsis?
    Is that a general bike theft across the country comment?
    Judging by the amount of people who can't be arsed to use the stuff they have to protect their gear I suspect it is.

Liked 93 in 72 posts

Pretty much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission