TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Airbags

A Bit Bored
    Liked
    10/1

Default Re: Airbags

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I'm going for my fitting next week, so I'll take some photos of the bag. Brian's a fanatic about leather and seam strength and so on. I've had off the peg race leathers from Dainese and bespoke ones from MW and a bespoke 2 piece suit from BKS - the BKS one was in a different league, and the leather seems to go on indefinitely. I'm not saying the others wouldn't hold up in a crash, just that you'd be wanting to replace them sooner. The Dainese leather looks very tired surprisingly quickly. Disappointing for such a big investment. But Italians expect their clothing to have a shorter life - they spend a higher proportion of their pay on clothing than any other Europeans. They're fashion-driven. I think Brian's philosophy is typical of a British tailor - good clothes ought to last a lifetime.

Liked 2,526 in 1,647 posts

14 pages. Any mention of risk homeostasis ?

Liked 3,430 in 2,261 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    14 pages. Any mention of risk homeostasis ?
    Nah, too risky

And anyway Long live Allostasis!

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Nah, too risky

And anyway Long live Allostasis!
    Try Listerine for that.

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    Try Listerine for that.
    Similar comment, and others, in that thread

A Bit Bored
    Liked
    10/1

Might this restore some balance?

Not Much To Do
    Liked 49 in 31 posts

I'm not sure the airbag will have helped with his headache

Why the rider didn't see the green Mercedes in time, I'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post

In the immortal words of Pete & Dud, "Jump, you ***** jump!"
    http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/p/...tal-crash.html

Edit: watched the video now. That was right in the face hole of the helmet, not ideal . . . No reflection on the performance of the airbag.

Similar comment, and others, in that thread
    Reduce, re-use, recycle

Should Get Out More
    Liked 956 in 559 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post

Dr Chris Hurren has done some preliminary research in airbags out in Aus, tethered and electronically operated, and found the tethered sort operate too slowly in any side-on impact, even at urban speeds. The electronic ones triggered by a accelerometer on the front forks are quick enough, but as the video shows, the critical impact is at head height along the rigid car roof line.

His tentative conclusion is that they are unlikely to significantly reduce fatalities.

The other problem is that in a collision of this sort, upper leg and pelvic fractures are likely to occur from impact with the back of the tank. If the femoral artery is ruptured, the result is a catastrophic bleed. It's why it's one of the issues covered on Biker Down.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    ... the critical impact is at head height along the rigid car roof line.

His tentative conclusion is that they are unlikely to significantly reduce fatalities.

The other problem is that in a collision of this sort, upper leg and pelvic fractures are likely to occur from impact with the back of the tank.
    And that's why jumping is so important, you clear the tank / handlebars / screen. It's then landing that you need help with, by which time he airbag should have inflated.

12. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Horse:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 956 in 559 posts

And that's why jumping is so important, you clear the tank / handlebars / screen. It's then landing that you need help with, by which time he airbag should have inflated.
    Basically, that's my thinking... it helps when hitting the ground... but the manufacturers insist on showing videos like the one above, implying that they'll protect against a collision with a car. If you roll over the bonnet, maybe... if you headbutt a van, unlikely.

My fav video was of someone demonstrating how they went off from the tether, by somersaulting into a pile of cardboard boxes, placed to break the impact of landing

14. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Basically, that's my thinking... it helps when hitting the ground... but the manufacturers insist on showing videos like the one above, implying that they'll protect against a collision with a car. If you roll over the bonnet, maybe... if you headbutt a van, unlikely.

My fav video was of someone demonstrating how they went off from the tether, by somersaulting into a pile of cardboard boxes, placed to break the impact of landing
    The advice on landing that I heard was 'look at your toes'. Unfortunately, I remembered it a few weeks after needing it

A friend told me that he'd seen a member of a stunt display team interviewed, explaining how easy it was to crash into cars and be ok, "but you've got to practice!"

16. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Liked 3,312 in 1,675 posts

I didn't even think about that!!! I know I've read it years n years ago, but it didn't even cross my mind in the seconds before impact!!!

I was lucky, the front started to tuck before impact so I went down the side of the car - would have been handy to have the airbag for that crash!! Had I gone straight over the top into the car in front (probably given that I went way past the car I hit before landing!) I doubt that a FUBAR arm/shoulder would have been the worst of my problems!!

A friend here keeps telling me that I need a jacket/suit with an airbag and I am considering it. But given the fact that it will help more for track or landing, not hitting a car; that complicated by the inability of the drivers here to stay on their side of the white line, I'm not sure!! Suspect that it's 50/50 as to whether it would help. But then, I don't really want to FUBAR the other arm!! LOL Hey ho Decisions decisions!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    I didn't even think about that!!! I know I've read it years n years ago, but it didn't even cross my mind in the seconds before impact!!!
    Think about Spin's mantra: 'no surprise'. You need to have all of your emergency actions (whether braking, swerving, jumping, acceleration) mentally prepared before you need them. As you approach a situation, mentally run through the 'what if' scenarios. If something does go wrong you already know what you are going to do - so saving thinking time. You can't spend much time in those sort of situations thinking "what was those Spin and Horse geezers kept whittering on about?"

So the important aspect isn't the knowledge of what to do (although, obviously, you need to know what to do!), it's looking at the situation ahead of you then predicting what might happen and then - most important - what you can do to survive.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission