TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new Shed

Liked 732 in 344 posts

Default A new Shed

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Moved from what I did today as its now the day after.....

I and two people who really know what they're doing are making my single detached garage into a double with house attachment

Todays skill set revolved round tea making and cleaning the site and recycling the used faced bricks that match the house and a bit of wheelbarrowing. tomorrow I expect more of the same only in a style that will reflect how badly Im aching tonight. the footings are 500 deep and a metre square I believe... the drainage has been a nightmare of a dig To relocate it by a metre outside the new garage footprint...new dustbin in the ground and 30 bags of sand plus requisite cement and aggregate can't wait for the bikes to get back in and the disco should fit too. bloody building control demanded wind brake steels on the nibs.... ridiculous. and they are Straight and parallel also sunk in 1 cubic metre of concrete.

Moto gp garage automatic doors already sourced the steels for the doors arrived HUGE. Bloody building control gone mad
    how to take out the trash

general progress

The steels were 300 And fantasticlly overspecced after all they're only holding a hipped roof and some auto up and over electric doors.managed to keep the ground anchor in the old part of the garage and have a second Rhino anchor to go in the new bit.
    Last edited by rodbargee; 13-04-19 at 11:19.

2. The following 8 users liked this useful post by rodbargee:

Liked 9,704 in 5,063 posts

Default Re: A new Shed

Ace thread. Keep the updates coming please!

4. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 732 in 344 posts

Good progress today, Walls getting higher and the pile of cleaned bricks (my contribution) just about keeping pace with the build

the steels were due to go up today and a little prep was required, 180 amp welder and something to lift them into place

No not Andy on his own though he is a strong lad...

thisvvvvv

Fresh from the fields Simon's handler stank of pigs shit not your usual tele handler on building site

BIT Precarious!!

A little light welding!

large proportions, its looking promising, Mrs RDBGE Says its bigger than the house!

tomorrow more of

No prizes for my services, Even stacking bricks would get me a p45 (Have to give it to myself)
    Last edited by rodbargee; 15-04-19 at 18:38.

6. The following 5 users liked this useful post by rodbargee:

Liked 1,808 in 1,069 posts
    Blog Entries

Looking good, would be interested in knowing the dimensions of the build, steels and what the roof is going to be like. I’m planning a double garage at mine and just trying to get a steer on material costs.

Liked 732 in 344 posts

the steels were required by building control and were 300 for the pair. I think they're 3200 long each I can give you a breakdown after we've done, and I very boringly have a spreadsheet of the actual costs roof will have smaller lighter tiles than the orig garage and will have a hipped roof keying into the side of the house. I should point out that i"m only paying the actual trade costs as the builders are my brothers in Law so they are not profiting from any mark up on materials . which is nice I just pay them a proper wage for the job
    Last edited by rodbargee; 18-04-19 at 08:22.

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by rodbargee:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rodbargee View Post
    the steels were required by building control and were 300 each I think they're 3200 long each I can give you a breakdown after we've done, and I very boringly have a spreadsheet of the actual costs roof will have smaller lighter tiles than the orig garage and will have a hipped roof keying into the side of the house
    I’m weighing up a single 4.5m roller shutter vs 2 standard 2.1m roller shutters, either way it’ll be a flat roof. The one thing I’m keen to avoid is a central pillar which will mean either a hefty steel, glulam beam or some form of i-beams. Dimensions are 7.1m wide by 6.5m deep.

11. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Silly Car:

Liked 732 in 344 posts

All was well till the building control guy threw his spanner in the works demanding either another set of engineers calculations on the load for the cut roof beams or to use huge over the top floor joists, after the over spend on the frankly ridiculous RSJ entrance beams we decided that we'd go for premade roof trusses for the hipped roof. which are lots cheaper and perfectly adequate for the job. building control satisfied the downer is that the lead time for the roof trusses is the end of May so the wheels are going to come off the build a bit. The ground works round about will get finished and everything else we can think of apart from the roof and tiles I;ll post up some more shots of any useful progress as it happens We did finish the brickwork and the roof plates all ready for the roof when that happens...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rodbargee View Post
    All was well till the building control guy threw his spanner in the works demanding either another set of engineers calculations on the load for the cut roof beams or to use huge over the top floor joists, after the over spend on the frankly ridiculous RSJ entrance beams we decided that we'd go for premade roof trusses for the hipped roof. which are lots cheaper and perfectly adequate for the job. building control satisfied the downer is that the lead time for the roof trusses is the end of May so the wheels are going to come off the build a bit. The ground works round about will get finished and everything else we can think of apart from the roof and tiles I;ll post up some more shots of any useful progress as it happens We did finish the brickwork and the roof plates all ready for the roof when that happens...
    That’s a bit of a pisser and my greatest fear. Our budget is going to be tight as it is without some monkey in the building control dept deciding he wants massively over specced steels, footings, pillars and roof joists.

Liked 732 in 344 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Car View Post
    That’s a bit of a pisser and my greatest fear. Our budget is going to be tight as it is without some monkey in the building control dept deciding he wants massively over specced steels, footings, pillars and roof joists.
    The crucial point here is to have building control sign off the plans and pass them, before you start to build, my woes started because we changed the roof line to hipped and the guy doing the drawings isn't an engineer he knows one obvs, So building control guy tries to be helpful by speccing something that can't possibly fail, but it is in part my fault for changing the roof line and the Bother in law for not checking that they had all been signed off.

IN other good news the estimate that we have been working to has thus far been slightly over actual costs... and roof trusses are far cheaper than having a cut roof you just have to plan their arrival as they are made to order

15. The following user liked this post made by rodbargee:

Liked 732 in 344 posts

last day till the trusses arrive, a bit of ground work to be done, Path round the garage etc but no more till we break through into the house. in no particular order lick of paint on the steels

Drainage tidied up with existing path

A couple of aspects

Will it hold

Floor is going to be levelled so I can jack stuff up on it..

Silly a few headlines
    roof trusses for the garage 1020 Made to order
    steels added uprights 284.40
    Concrete 190.00
    jwewsons 380.00
    2 RSJ's 296.00
    simon telehandler 20.00
    JEWSON SAND ETCwall plate retainers 501.00
    jewsons darbo socket, crete 27.34
    paint for rsj 12.00

dimensions of the garage
    and roof construction priced as above

Last edited by rodbargee; 18-04-19 at 21:36. Reason: repeated line

17. The following 3 users liked this useful post by rodbargee:

Liked 732 in 344 posts

Some groundworks

Some more to do but looks better round the perimeter. Not as easy to do as it looks. two tons of dolomite underneath and an hour with a whacker, then lots of sharp sand and cement to lay them in, grout next week and fingers crossed the roof gets an earlier slot than he promised us or there will be a big gap of inactivity

19. The following 2 users liked this useful post by rodbargee:

Liked 732 in 344 posts

tapped out the steel uprights to accept the door runners and tried the doors for size and trueness also did some of the grout for the path (dry mix)

Just need the bloody roof trusses!!!

21. The following 6 users liked this useful post by rodbargee:

Blog Entries

Coming along nicely!

I’ve had a quote for the easi-joists (metal webbed) for mine, 1650+vat which seems a lot but then again, that is for a single span solution covering 6.25m.

23. The following user liked this post made by Silly Car:

Liked 732 in 344 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Car View Post
    Coming along nicely!

I’ve had a quote for the easi-joists (metal webbed) for mine, 1650+vat which seems a lot but then again, that is for a single span solution covering 6.25m.
    the roof trusses on mine span 6250 and are a little cheaper but the lead time is a PITA... Doors fit a treat and have two remotes so looking forward to getting the rest together.. bought a stable door for the back from Leaders, hardwood 9Lite with stainless steel Heavy duty ball bearing hinges 220 inc vat and a 5 lever lock insurance approved. handle etc

25. The following user liked this post made by rodbargee:

Blog Entries

I suspect I wouldn’t get permission for a tiled roof due to height and if I did, it would have to be slate so quite spendy.

That is the first quote, so I’ll do some shopping around but Minerva (sp) are quoting 5 days from order to delivery which is excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission