TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: guns for show, knives for a pro...

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 2,632 in 1,154 posts

Thumbs up guns for show, knives for a pro...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.

sparks off by eddiej's post...

Quote Originally Posted by EddieJ View Post
    I took delivery of two more cheapo knives today. I reckon that we need a show us your knives thread!
    so, show us your knives then.

• opinel no8 - lives in the car, used for the allotment and day to day stuff
    • nieto linea lock blade - lovely spanish made knife with rock hard handle. comes fishing and walking with me.
    • 10 year old swiss army knife - camping knife, trusty old friend.
    • ducati swiss army knife - lives in toilet bag, comes on holiday. has an led torch on it.
    • 25 year old swiss army knife - freebie from MIG welding shielding gas product launch. blade, bottle opener, corkscrew. lives in fishing bag, used for bait and booze.

Liked 367 in 227 posts

Default Re: guns for show, knives for a pro...

Knives kill babies, ban them all.

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,619 in 970 posts

My day to day work knife is just a Stanley Fatmax knife, just lives in my tool belt pouch and generally sharpens pencils, cuts DPC and plasterboard.
    Although I hardly ever carry a knife away from work, all the same I do seem to have quite a lot of them.
    Used to own a No 8 Opinel and really like the simplicity of the design.

A mate gave me a Leatherman Fuse a while ago and thats OK. As I've usually got a full sized set of tools not far away it doesn't get much use though.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 291 in 114 posts

Knives and multi tools.

DB, I really like the look of the Nieto Linea. Very nice.

This weeks two cheapo knives...

First a Hultafors Craftman's Utility Knife at 3.80 from Axminster tools. It feels very much like a Mora clipper, but costs much less.

Great for all tougher jobs, on site or in the garden. This knife has a 90mm long high carbon steel blade, easy to sharpen and takes an excellent edge. It is a very useful tool for whittling firewood, trimming Brussels sprouts or cutting open the packaging of the latest parcel to arrive from Axminster. The handle and sheath are of extra durable PP plastic. The sheath features a unique method for attaching the sheath around a button on your work clothes, which means it does not loosen, but is easy to remove. The sheath fits just as well on your belt as on your buttons. If your belt is thick, cut away the small pin on the cover.

And the second, a Chestnut Tools Woodworker's Knife at 6.30 again from Axminster tools. I'm not a massive fan of stainless blades or folding (non locking) blades, but I really do like this knife and just need to spend a bit of time on it polishing out the slight grinding marks.

Similar in style to a pruning knife (it could well be put to that use) but with a slightly thicker more robust blade. It has unique advantages for woodworking. The sturdy curved-tip blade is safer than a straight blade in paring jobs. It is also better and easier to use than a pencil for marking cut-lines. The blade is stainless steel with a hardness of HRC 54-56. You can strike the thick spine with a hammer for splitting wedges, cutting rope, etc. With its hardwood handle scales, it is comfortable to hold. A good working knife.

edit.. I should have added the action of the knife is very tight and nice, and there is also no lateral movement of the blade. Whether this will change as time passes I couldn't say.
    Last edited by EddieJ; 03-03-13 at 20:55.

Liked 7 in 5 posts

I only need a small one.....fnarr fnarr...

retractable-scalpel-with-five-blades-34-p.jpg

Liked 1,465 in 851 posts

After having it repaired - I'm carrying my Victorinox Swiss Champ around with me a lot.

Victorinox ? Rebuild Service for Swiss Army Knives | GearWeAre.com

I also sometimes carry my father's old sailing knive when I go shooting (Field Archery), mainly for digging arrows out of trees when I miss (a semi-frequent occurence), a non-locking, folding knife is no good at all for that job . It has a double sheath with a proper marlinspike too. I really ought to get the sheath remade.

(photo to follow)

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,770 in 2,989 posts

I have many many knives, from small to Crocodile Dundee large and everything in between I'm not going to post them all up in here through as most just sit on a shelf.

EDC is the Gerber @ the top.
    The others are carried or thrown into draws for use when needed as every day utility knives;

Just ordered a Peasant mini so I can go legal and take the blade off the Gerber;

And threw a new sharpening system in the basket whilst I was at it;

Thinking of a summer project to keep me out of trouble ;

I've got 2 brake disc / drums kicking about to knock up a wee forge, would need an anvil or similar and some railroad spikes, jsut need to keep my eyes open

Liked 1,619 in 970 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Thinking of a summer project to keep me out of trouble ;

I've got 2 brake disc / drums kicking about to knock up a wee forge, would need an anvil or similar and some railroad spikes, jsut need to keep my eyes open
    I have one of the blue Svord Peasants, I like its simplicity and lack of springs, locks and pretty much lack of moving parts and the blue matches the colour of paint I fire over every toolbox I take on site, its got to be said that its not that much use compared to a Stanley knife for sitework though, I'm not faffing on with sharpening a knife that I'm just going to cut plasterboard with.
    I assume you've seen Pearce knives then? Lots of wrench knives, railway spikes and files turned into knives and whatever.
    No idea how hard or tough they would be though.

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    I assume you've seen Pearce knives then? Lots of wrench knives, railway spikes and files turned into knives and whatever.
    No idea how hard or tough they would be though.
    I hadn't, and now what has been seen can not be unseen
    Me thinks if I get the kit together I'll be starting with my spare spanners, or hit the car boots up for the old rusty tool dudes

Liked 1,619 in 970 posts

I hadn't, and now what has been seen can not be unseen
    Me thinks if I get the kit together I'll be starting with my spare spanners, or hit the car boots up for the old rusty tool dudes
    SAE spanners are always cheap.
    I can get hold of loads of old good make (Britool and the like) SAE spanners, Sheffield made files and rasps also if you need any. Postage being the most expensive part of it as I've recently sent a few axe heads and a Billhook to a bloke in exchange for one of his very nice little blades when he next makes a few. The three Kent pattern axe heads and billhook were dead cheap to buy but the postage stung a bit.

Liked 1,619 in 970 posts

Day to day its this custom made, one off beauty I could tell you the maker but they don't do large quantities so you wouldn't be able to get one anyway...

Then the Svord Peasant. Not had much use out of it yet and it lives in one of my many toolboxes but anyone who picks one up and gives it a good coat of looking at automatically starts picking up random bits of metal and wood and thinking about making friction folders. There's nothing to the design and you wonder how come other knives have so much in the way of springs and locks.
    To my eyes they are quite like Opinels in that respect, there's nothing to the design.

Here's a better picture I ratched off the net which shows just how simple the design is, it also shows that the design isn't perfect because the rivet near the pivot point allows the front of the blade to over-rotate and touch the Chicago bolt, the metal to metal contact blunts it at that point. Dead easy to fix with a placky washer bought from Halfords and fitted over the Chicago bolt stops the blade from touching it.
    They could do with being finished better and a quick sharpen when you get one helps a lot, good steel, good design but made for the mass market. Could do with a couple of tweeks to be spot on, none of which are hard to do and I'd rather do them myself than pay someone else to do it.

Liked 1,619 in 970 posts

In about 1980 one of my brothers rode his ex police Triumph Tiger to the North Cape of Norway.
    He found this knife under a bridge while camping on the way and brought it home and gave it to me, aged eight.

I've had it since then and when I was a kid it helped me make loads of dens in the bracken on the fellside by our farm, cut lots of baling twine whilst feeding the sheep, my father used it to remove the skin off a dead lamb and put the skin onto a lamb that had lost its mother so the ewe with the dead lamb would accept the incomer and feed it. Sort of silence of the lambs adoption scheme I suppose.
    Sure I've skinned a few rabbits and prepared a trout I tickled from the river Caldew when it was drying up and large pools with it also.
    Seems that I've owned it for 33 and a bit years then.

Liked 1,041 in 697 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    Then the Svord Peasant. Not had much use out of it yet and it lives in one of my many toolboxes but anyone who picks one up and gives it a good coat of looking at automatically starts picking up random bits of metal and wood and thinking about making friction folders. There's nothing to the design and you wonder how come other knives have so much in the way of springs and locks.
    To my eyes they are quite like Opinels in that respect, there's nothing to the design.
    Seen them on the Hennie website, fancied one for a while

Should Get Out More Mr Rooty Tooty's Avatar
    Liked 4,247 in 2,551 posts
    Blog Entries

Decent anvils with a nice flat face are absolute bastards to get ahold of

I heard you could use a bit of I beam at a push to get going, those brake drum forges seem to work well enough

I did have a forge to use but due to stupid work I only went over a couple of times before being permanently stationed away from home Gutted.

I'll just have to build one...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission