TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Riding in the snow

  1. #1
    Really Bored fingerpuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,216
    Like
    437
    Liked 646 in 336 posts

    Default Riding in the snow

    1: I was fed up with seeing the Riding int he rain thread on the top all the time so made this one.

    2: I've ridden on snow covered roads, on a GSXR600, it was mighty fun and very slow going. But I've never ridden when it's been snowing, which I'll have to do tomorrow if it doesn't stop.

    I imagine it's cold, with poor visibility and the bits of snow stick to your visor and front, so you look like a inverse badger. But otherwise, is it just like riding in the rain?


  2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. #2
    Should Get Out More Noggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    French Alps, La Plagne Dahrlink!
    Posts
    7,806
    Like
    8,284
    Liked 1,576 in 788 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    Quote Originally Posted by fingerpuk View Post
    1: I was fed up with seeing the Riding int he rain thread on the top all the time so made this one.

    2: I've ridden on snow covered roads, on a GSXR600, it was mighty fun and very slow going. But I've never ridden when it's been snowing, which I'll have to do tomorrow if it doesn't stop.

    I imagine it's cold, with poor visibility and the bits of snow stick to your visor and front, so you look like a inverse badger. But otherwise, is it just like riding in the rain?
    A little more slippy maybe??!

  4. #3
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kazakhstan
    Posts
    31,889
    Like
    625
    Liked 769 in 437 posts
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    You'll never know if that bit of slush in front of you is slush or frozen ice. Forget it, unless you like falling off.

  5. #4
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    13,482
    Like
    1,494
    Liked 677 in 415 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    Ive done it several times without too much issue. At speed its like flying an Xwing down the Death Star trench, flakes of snow seemingly coming right at your eyes before slipping past.
    Real trick is to ride for the conditions, be WARM, heated gear is best. Quadruple your stopping distances, cut your speed right down, and dont be afraid to hold up traffic.

  6. #5
    Should Get Out More GiantPygmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    18,278
    Like
    3,244
    Liked 2,581 in 1,423 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    You'll never know if that bit of slush in front of you is slush or frozen ice. Forget it, unless you like falling off.
    This. However, you are in London, the roads are treated and busy. the forecast is for 0c so barring any really heavy downpours that put a track of snow on the road you'll probably be alright.
    Personally, I'd take the bus.

    I hope you've covered that lovely little Ducati with ACF50?

  7. #6
    Really Bored fingerpuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,216
    Like
    437
    Liked 646 in 336 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    I'm not going to ride.

    And yes, the bike is ACF50 protected, and under a cover, which itself is under a cover.

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    14,790
    Like
    3,156
    Liked 1,258 in 796 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    You only need a C90....



    ....and to have a sense of adventure!

  9. #8
    Should Get Out More 1888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    JockLand
    Posts
    24,851
    Like
    675
    Liked 2,142 in 1,548 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    I did it for the last time two years ago. It was when I was half way home I thought to myself "You fucking twat, why did I not take the car"

  10. #9
    Really Bored joe19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    2,669
    Like
    797
    Liked 651 in 573 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    I did it last weekend thinking it would turn back to rain, had to turn back after 15 mins. It was slippery but the most dangerous thing was my visor, it just started to freeze over, couldn't clear it. Overall I was out for about 30 mins and by the time I got home I could hardly see a thing.

  11. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    14,790
    Like
    3,156
    Liked 1,258 in 796 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    I did it last weekend thinking it would turn back to rain, had to turn back after 15 mins. It was slippery but the most dangerous thing was my visor, it just started to freeze over, couldn't clear it. Overall I was out for about 30 mins and by the time I got home I could hardly see a thing.
    Open your visor!

  12. #11
    Really Bored joe19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    2,669
    Like
    797
    Liked 651 in 573 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    Quote Originally Posted by Thermostat9 View Post
    Open your visor!
    eh? How does that help?

  13. #12
    Should Get Out More Jody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    at the beach, Canet, France
    Posts
    5,081
    Like
    1,399
    Liked 766 in 456 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    eh? How does that help?
    Your face gets cold a lot quicker so you are only 5 minutes from home when you realise it's a stupid idea and turn back

  14. #13
    Should Get Out More 1888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    JockLand
    Posts
    24,851
    Like
    675
    Liked 2,142 in 1,548 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    I did it last weekend thinking it would turn back to rain, had to turn back after 15 mins. It was slippery but the most dangerous thing was my visor, it just started to freeze over, couldn't clear it. Overall I was out for about 30 mins and by the time I got home I could hardly see a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermostat9 View Post
    Open your visor!
    Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    eh? How does that help?
    You need to ask

  15. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    14,790
    Like
    3,156
    Liked 1,258 in 796 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    eh? How does that help?
    So. You. Can. See. Where. You. Are. Going?

    Jesus, some people are thick.

  16. #15
    Really Bored slowsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    RoI
    Posts
    4,383
    Like
    199
    Liked 477 in 321 posts

    Default Re: Riding in the snow

    Quote Originally Posted by Thermostat9 View Post
    So. You. Can. See. Where. You. Are. Going?

    Jesus, some people are thick.
    Or afflicted with spectacles in which case it doesn't help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum