TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Oil Coolers

  1. #1
    Should Get Out More 1888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    JockLand
    Posts
    26,831
    Like
    867
    Liked 2,817 in 2,016 posts

    Default Oil Coolers


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    If I was to get a slightly larger one would I need more oil in the bike or is the quantity decided by the sump size?

  2. #2
    Should Get Out More maccecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South East England Kent.
    Posts
    6,761
    Like
    175
    Liked 915 in 511 posts

    Default Re: Oil Coolers

    Yes bigger oil cooler more oil although they don't actually hold a lot. Might need a couple of hundred ML.

  3. #3
    Should Get Out More 1888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    JockLand
    Posts
    26,831
    Like
    867
    Liked 2,817 in 2,016 posts

    Default Re: Oil Coolers

    Quote Originally Posted by maccecht View Post
    Yes bigger oil cooler more oil although they don't actually hold a lot. Might need a couple of hundred ML.
    I was thinking around 1/2 lt if this was the case. I take it if I find out what mine holds and the one I fancy using then I am just adding the difference.

  4. #4
    Should Get Out More maccecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South East England Kent.
    Posts
    6,761
    Like
    175
    Liked 915 in 511 posts

    Default Re: Oil Coolers

    Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    I was thinking around 1/2 lt if this was the case. I take it if I find out what mine holds and the one I fancy using then I am just adding the difference.
    Sounds good to me.

  5. #5
    Should Get Out More 1888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    JockLand
    Posts
    26,831
    Like
    867
    Liked 2,817 in 2,016 posts

    Default Re: Oil Coolers

    I meant a 1/4 but cheers anyway. Downside to old bikes. You cant buy bling for them.

  6. #6
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lahndahn innit
    Posts
    11,066
    Like
    138
    Liked 475 in 351 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Oil Coolers

    Talk to think automotive as they are very helpful

  7. #7
    Really Bored Clanktank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lower Cotswolds
    Posts
    2,173
    Like
    265
    Liked 698 in 282 posts

    Default Re: Oil Coolers

    Just fill up past the halfway mark, run the bike for a few minutes to let the oil filter and cooler fill up, then top up as required to the right level. I certainly don't measure the amount of oil going into a bike, and the exact amount doesn't matter as long as it's at the right level in the sight glass or dipstick.

  8. #8
    Should Get Out More 1888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    JockLand
    Posts
    26,831
    Like
    867
    Liked 2,817 in 2,016 posts

    Default Re: Oil Coolers

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanktank View Post
    Just fill up past the halfway mark, run the bike for a few minutes to let the oil filter and cooler fill up, then top up as required to the right level. I certainly don't measure the amount of oil going into a bike, and the exact amount doesn't matter as long as it's at the right level in the sight glass or dipstick.

    I was thinking that if the cooler would hold a few 100ml then that is taking it away from the sump/engine. Adding a larger cooler would hold a few ml more. I am not sure if it all drains back into the engine or not hence asking.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission