TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Thread: The last tool you purchased thread.

Liked 1,220 in 705 posts

Default Re: The last tool you purchased thread.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by chillitt View Post
    We used to used a line to encourage stuff to fall in the right direction. done all manner of bad practices with chainsaws but dont take them off the ground.
    sometimes you have to. I took ~20ft off one of the eucalypti whilst up a ladder with one. It was an electric one tho, which I prefer for such things.

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 2,384 in 1,041 posts

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    Throw line? You planning on tree climbing with that saw?

Now I can't quite remember why but I seem to remember that climbers use top handle saws, something about the inertia kickback brake being slightly different?
    You can't buy a top handle saw without a certificate. The throw line is to get some work rope up over a branch for a kiddies swing. But yes, I will be up a ladder with that saw at some point, but only to tend to a snapped branch. I'll have the ladder tied off to the tree and I'll be taking small cuts each time.
    Last edited by Derek Badger; 15-03-19 at 17:09.

3. The following user liked this post made by Derek Badger:

Liked 2,485 in 1,203 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    You can't buy a top handle saw without a certificate. The throw line is to get some work rope up over a branch for a kiddies swing. But yes, I will be up a ladder with that saw at some point, but only to tend to a snapped branch. I'll have the ladder tied off to the tree and I'll be taking small cuts each time.
    Tieing on the ladder is good as I shat myself thirty foot up a walnut tree chainsawing a big branch off .terrifying .now a mate comes with a harness to do stuff like that .

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,447 in 871 posts

Not trying to be an arse (it just comes naturally) but using a chainsaw off a ladder is properly dodgy.
    Common problem is the branch falls down, bounces against the ladder and takes it away from under the operator or just knocks the operator off the ladder.

Pretty much any bumf about safe chainsawing specifically cautions against it.

Worth a quick Google to assess the deal better, don't just take my word on it.

Liked 1,220 in 705 posts

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    Not trying to be an arse (it just comes naturally) but using a chainsaw off a ladder is properly dodgy.
    Common problem is the branch falls down, bounces against the ladder and takes it away from under the operator or just knocks the operator off the ladder.

Pretty much any bumf about safe chainsawing specifically cautions against it.

Worth a quick Google to assess the deal better, don't just take my word on it.
    To avoid this very problem I either tie off the branch to control the fall, or use a second operator with a drop line to pull the cut branch away from the guy with the saw. It's also why I use an electric saw, they tend to shut off more reliably than a petrol one if it does go pear shaped.

7. The following user liked this post made by Big Pete:

Liked 1,261 in 890 posts

Popped into Aldi to buy the usual and came out with a tap and die set for 16.99

Liked 6,092 in 3,151 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    Chainsaws scare the crap out of me, I gave mine away as soon as I'd done the job I bought it for.

Then when I needed to chop the cherry tree down in the yard I did it with my Kukri rather than get another chainsaw.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 2,908 in 1,750 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    Chainsaws scare the crap out of me, I gave mine away as soon as I'd done the job I bought it for.

Then when I needed to chop the cherry tree down in the yard I did it with my Kukri rather than get another chainsaw.
    I had an electric Bosch chainsaw, it could be a bit of a handful, I now use a reciprocating saw for those sort of jobs, it's a little bit harder work, but it feels much safer

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Liked 2,460 in 1,463 posts

It's only a tool. If you have to regularly chop a stere or two for fuel you soon get over it.
    I felt the same about angle grinders, now it feels the same as cutting bread for toast.

That said, i am really fecking careful. I certainly wouldn't use one up a tree, not without practice and all the clobber anyway.

I believe a piker in a vest will come round and do the hard stuff for a tenner anyway. I think he'll even bring his own dinner chair to stand on.

12. The following user liked this post made by DefTrap:

Liked 2,674 in 1,929 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post

Popped into Aldi to buy the usual and came out with a tap and die set for 16.99
    I was put off with that. Got a cheap set before (Not Aldi) and it was blunt after two or three uses.

Liked 2,674 in 1,929 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    I had an electric Bosch chainsaw, it could be a bit of a handful, I now use a reciprocating saw for those sort of jobs, it's a little bit harder work, but it feels much safer
    I fucking hate chainsaws. Ill do smaller work with a pole saw as that is a distance away but chainsaw mistake could mean a limb or life. Fuck that shit.

Liked 1,260 in 891 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk
    I thought about a chainsaw a while back, saw all the recommended safety gear and decided being a novice with a reciprocating saw was much better for my health.

Liked 1,261 in 890 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    I was put off with that. Got a cheap set before (Not Aldi) and it was blunt after two or three uses.
    Mine will stay sharp as I'll probably never use it.

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission