TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Jim Parker - R.I.P

Not Much To Do rich-racing.co.uk's Avatar
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Jim Parker - R.I.P

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.

Liked 2,255 in 1,158 posts

Default Re: Jim Parker - R.I.P

Not someone who made many friends, or particularly cared if he did. But he certainly made an impact on our sport, transforming it from an amateur pastime to a professional business. RIP.

Liked 93 in 72 posts

Death announcement from the ACU
    http://www.acu.org.u.../07/JIM-PARKER/

Liked 3,753 in 1,911 posts

Wonder if the New Era first round draft pick on club race dates will ease now he has passed on ............. As TC said, did a lot for the sport and in particular his own club but some of his methods and motives upset a lot on the way.

My condolences to his family

Not Much To Do rich-racing.co.uk's Avatar
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Had some arguements with him (which you could never win) but still spent plenty of good years racing with New Era.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

I thought he was ok.

very New Era, and how that worked being in the ACU against other clubs i dont know but helped me out several times.

I had a long chat with him about the new TT license we had to get that year. Basically he said that they, the ACU had to be seen to be doing something as there had been several deaths but nothing really had been done paperwork wise .
    He admitted that whilst it wasn't the best and the answer to everything it was a step forward and helped in some ways. He had a point.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    I had a long chat with him about the new TT license we had to get that year. Basically he said that they, the ACU had to be seen to be doing something as there had been several deaths but nothing really had been done paperwork wise .
    He admitted that whilst it wasn't the best and the answer to everything it was a step forward and helped in some ways. He had a point.
    That was 2005 and most of the fatalities were at the Manx, at the time I was doing it. There weren't really any common factors in the accidents and the guys who were involved were in most cases experienced riders. It was a simple case of rider error or the variable and unforgiving nature of the course. So introducing medical checks and a requirement to do a bunch of short circuit races really achieved nothing, especially as they excluded trackdays, practice days or non ACU race days.

However I accept they "had to do something" or were at risk of losing insurance cover. My opinion was, and is, that what they did was too much and they way they enforced it was too rigid. Entries were already falling for the Manx and the Course Licence made it harder for some riders (classics and foreigners especially) to get the required signatures and increased costs, causing further falls in entries. At the time Eddie Nelson was reported as saying the TT course was no place for 30-year-old bikes and made scathing comments about "holiday racers". Riders like Shaun Harris were refused entries as they hadn't done enough meetings, despite Shaun having won the Proddy TT a year earlier. Today the Manx has morphed into the "Classic TT" with emphasis on 30-year-old bikes, so work that one out.

Many people pleaded with Jim to change his mind on the Course Licence but that was Jim, always open to new ideas as long as they were his own

Liked 0 in 0 posts

I was for the licence.
    I could see their concerns. We had riders who pretty much rode once a year and to me that isn't great, how ever good they are. Now to go out and have to prove 8 rides , so long ago I can't remember now, I think was better than nothing. Yes people said what good was a 20th place finish at Cadwell when they would then ride the tt course and that's true but would they have been happier the ACU saying " ok, please go out and do 5 or so road races " because that would have cost racers thousands in travel to paddy land and back.
    Any prove of regular riding was a step forward I think . As for the Harris bit, I was fully for him NOT riding as he thought his name was enough and bollocks to the rules that people like McG where happy to abide by. He was a prick.

The classic bike comment was bollocks. Yes there was some shitters out there, but no more classics than there was modern bikes .

I don't think anyone suggested the 6 events had to be ROAD races, as you say that would just have been stupid. And for many of the riders it was no big deal because they were out every couple of weeks anyway. It was probably the classics who were hit hardest as many of them only went out a few times a year - older blokes, family commitments, fragile bikes. The likes of John Goodall was forced to run round at the back of F400 races on his Matchless just to get a signature, and John if you recall was a regular classic podium man. As I say if they'd allowed trackdays and time trials they'd have got rid of many of the whinges but they'd made the rule and the message was anyone who didn't like it could go fuck themselves. Many did, the cost of keeping up the course licence was one of the things that forced me out, and I know several others in the same boat. A mate of mine who lives in Germany basically hasn't been able to get enough sigs as the ACU don't recognise most of the events over there. And now they're begging the classics to come back.

Harris was a bit up himself I agree, but it does illustrate the intransigence and autocratic nature of the ACU since Parker decided it had to become a professional moneymaking concern rather than an amateur fast boys club, that's when the riders became secondary to the sport business.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission