TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sv650 Vs er650

Not Much To Do
    Liked: 1/1

Default Re: Sv650 Vs er650

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    In all essence the SV650 was the bike of choice at the start of the minitwin class, the ER6 has now taken it to a different place with better handling and a more compact bike as others have said.

Some of the early and even later minitwins were run by Eff Bee on here and her husband who together form Steve Jordan Racing and have a Suzuki place in Surrey.I think they still do race prep on minitwin bikes and know they are doing supertwin engines as they have done a couple of bikes for manx competitors this year

Even in Ireland the SV is considered a better bike as a 'stock twin'. The er6 responds well to tuning and becomes a better package when turned into a super twin. The er6 as standard just doesn't make as much horsepower as the SV especially the new twin spark ones which make the minitwin legal 72hp all day long with just a slip on end an.

The er6 has a 3 bearing crank over the sv's 2 so it tends to be stronger when pushed to the limits but even here at the Manx there are guys with er6's snapping cranks(3 in one session earlier in the week) and guys with 2 hours running time before they junk the crank and cases!! All for 5 hp more than our SV!

A Bit Bored

Yeah in Northern Ireland. By the sound of it be better just goin for an sv minitwin an goin from there then

Not Much To Do

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywars View Post
    Yeah in Northern Ireland. By the sound of it be better just goin for an sv minitwin an goin from there then
    Dont know what you are planning on doing but if you are going to build up your own bike from a road/crashed bike then if you can find a gladius that would be worth a shout. The redesigned 650 V-twin engine is really really strong and the one running with Bemsee this year has in the past struggled to get under the 72hp limit with just a slip on exhaust. From what I remember when we were chatting to some guys who race SV's in Ireland your stock twin class has a 76hp limit over the minitwins 72hp limit here.

Liked 138 in 46 posts
    Blog Entries

What others have said really. As a std engine the ER is woefully underpowered and is a shit mini twin tbh regardless of any possible chassis advantages. The SV just outclasses it in that particular state of tune/build.

For Supertwins though the ER has more potential at less cost. That little Kwack is way more responsive to tuning and comes in cheaper in terms of a competitive and reliable engine. There are some fantastical figures thrown around for these ER's and i've been told a few but on my dyno engines i build put around 86bhp at the wheel, however a stocker shows 62bhp at the wheel so that's a fairly healthy gain of 24bhp or 40% in old money. And for that i'm still using std crank, rods and pistons, flowed and skimmed head, Kent cams, bored throttle bodies, our own ram air design with MWR air filter, MHP prototype exhaust (available soon) and Mapped to suit. That engine has done 3 manx GP's and 2 TT's and finished 15th this year in the TT supertwin race and matched Cam's speed trap times so not bad for a measly 86bhp .

Now i've also heard figures of 74bhp for a stocker which does go some way to explaining how people get these figures of 95 or 100+ BHP if you add the same 40% to that base figure.

If it's for Irish roads drop me a PM cos there is some other stuff you can do but i don't want end up turning this into a an advert any more than i've kind of already done.

If it were my money i'd go the ER route for supertwins and SV for mini twins. In fact the guy we help with the ER reckons the best bike would be an early carbed SV chassis with the ER motor in it, he reckons that combo would give him another 1 or 2 mph on his avg at the TT.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission