TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KTM EXC 250 - Starting Problem

Really Bored
    Liked 433 in 206 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: KTM EXC 250 - Starting Problem

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Really? I should RTFM, I've had the same gearbox oil in since new, that's 80 racing hours so far.

I've had pretty good experience with Silkolene SRG75 in the past, would that do the job here or are they sensitive on oil?
    LOL - I've just checked it. They recommend Motorex cross-power 2T gear(engine) oil. Says change every 20 - 40 hours or after every race. Mine doesn't live a very hard life (yes, I'm slow) so I change it every 40 or so. I might consider doing it ever 2nd hare 'n hound/enduro in future. Btw 250/300 EXC's take 800ml 15W/50 oil. Recommended spark plug is NGK BR 7 ES w 0.6mm gap

If you need carb stettings Pete I can post them up too.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Cheers for the info guy.

New Problem - I took the rear tyre off today and decided to push the rear brake (....idiot) and now the brake pads are touching. Where do I go from here?

Thanks

Liked 2,325 in 1,192 posts

Take out the retaining pins and you should be able to wiggle the pads out. Obviously do not pump any more or you'll pop the piston out. However with the pads out you should be able to push the piston back in with thumb pressure. Clean the piston with a soft cloth before you push it back in - being fully worked isn't a bad thing as it helps keep it clear of dirt.

While you're in there check a couple of other things - first, the amount of mud that packs up inside the caliper - clean this out after every muddy ride! Second, does the caliper slide freely on its mounting pins? If not pull it off the pins, clean and re-grease them. It'll make a big difference to how well the brakes work.

Then go do the same to the front caliper

Edit: all the above will be easier if you remove the caliper from the bike first.
    Last edited by Tomcat; 02-10-13 at 19:08.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Thanks for your instructions Tomcat, It was easier than I thought it was going to be!!

Hawkman - If you could send them across to me that would be very handy!

Do any of you guys know where I can get an owners manual for a 2002 KTM EXC 250 2 stroke? I cant seem to find one and would really benefit from owning one!

Thanks,

Pete

Google "KTM service manuals" and you should be able to download one from KTM direct. I don't think it goes as far back as 2002 but there will be a lot in common with the earlier models, especially with the engine.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Ive found one for 2008 and its kinda similar.

Can I just confirm one thing

Engine Oil - the stuff I premix with the petrol the put it in the tank should be Fully synthetic 5W/40 - ratio of 50:1

Transmission Oil - 700mm-800ml 15W/50 oil? I keep seeing 2T and 4T on the bottles - I assume this is referring to 2 and 4 stroke bikes? If someone could send me link to the oil I need that would be very helpful

Thanks

Really Bored
    Liked 405 in 212 posts

Always use the best 2t premix oil you can get your hands on. DO NOT use cheap stuff from a garage or Halfrauds. The 2t oil should be costing between 10 - 12 a litre.

For the gearbox use some 4t engine oil, again the best you can buy, I always use Putoline in my CRF it costs about 7 a litre.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Cool, Thanks.

Today I went to go and get my rear tyre changed from a 'nobbly' tyre to a trials 'block-type' (MT43) tyre as im looking to do a few trail events and they dont allow nobbly tyres. However, I have a Talon 19inch rear tyre and all the trials tyres come in 18 inch so it wouldnt fit! I now need to look at buying another rear tyre (but an 18inch) one. I have never swaped over or bought a wheel before and doing DIY things on my bike isnt something Ive done much of (....trying to start now though). If you guys could give me any advice/ potiential ways around this that would be great.

One potiential way the guy at the garage told me is to use a speedway tyre as they are 19inch but ive heard they dont perform aswell as an 18 inch trials tyre?

Thanks

Pete

Really Bored
    Liked 405 in 212 posts

110/80R-19 Shinko Trail Pro 255 Radial Rear Tire-110/80R19 F255 | eBay

Try this, it looks like Bridgestone also do one.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

I cant find that tyre for sale in the UK - I need to try and get this sorted by next weekend so delivery is key. My current nobbly tyre size is 110/90-19 so would that tyre still fit?

MITAS 400X19 400-19 4.00X19 TRIALS Tyre from michael cushion 4.00-19 | eBay

You might find it's a bit higher profile than 19" MX tyres so clearance to the swinging arm isn't guaranteed, but it's about all you'll find. Most people use 18" wheels on the back of enduro bikes so I'm not quite sure why you've got a 19?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Would this wheel fit my bike?

I can't post up a URL but this is on eBay - 380713133242

It's and 18inch and the guy said there's no bending or distortion to it?

Would my brake disk and sprocket fit this wheel?

I know the later wheels are all the same but I'm not sure if one from 1992 would fit an 02 bike. The guys on KTMforum might have more detailed knowledge. Also on a wheel that old you'll almost certainly have to put in new bearings and the rim may well be worn or corroded even if it's straight. If your wheel is otherwise in good condition I'd say you're better off rebuilding it on a new 18" rim. Somebody like Essex Wheel Building can do that for you in a week.

The rim size you want is 2.15 (WM2)

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Would this one do it?

Ebay - 271219360586

Sorry to be a pain but I dont want to spend money and get it wrong.

Have you come across this make of wheel before (hollis)?

And would this tyre fit it? 271283751080

Thanks

Pete

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Hawk man - could you send those carb settings across please? Will the settings be the same for my 250 2 stroke ktm 2002?

How many turns back from fully in should the idle and air screws be?

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission