TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Ridden in Montenegro & Albania?

Liked 3 in 2 posts

Default Re: Anyone Ridden in Montenegro & Albania?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I would also be interested to hear of experiences of these countries for my trip this year. It is true that neighbouring countries will warn you not to go to the next. Went to Bosnia and would definitely recommend it, had no bother despite horror stories. We could not obtain insurance prior to entering and as the border crossing went so smooth we dared to question them about buying insurance, by the time we left 2 days later we had forgotten all about obtaining any. We planned to enter Serbia, whilst re-fuelling before proceeding, we we warned by a local not to go, he successfully talked us out of it and we never went in. Now I will never know, has anyone ventured in to Serbia recently?

Liked 270 in 146 posts
    Blog Entries

Plans all pretty much firmed up last night for my trip, dates out and back at least. we'll be taking the Motorail there and back(Dusseldorf-Villach, Villach-Dusseldorf) as this saves 1300 miles riding, and gives us 4 or five days extra in Croatia.

We loved Bosnia-Sarajevo is a fantastic city, unbelievably different to the rest of Europe. Still heavily battle scarred despite 17 years of peace. Mostar is again a beautiful town with an interesting histiory, and some great buildings. Finding your way around both is made difficult by having very few street signs. Our final couple of nights will be spent in Zagreb (have to ride up and down Bear mountain again) and also hope to be buying Mr Tack and Marydoll a beer or two. Or at least offering too.

A mate going on the trip went to Serbia just a few weeks ago and says it is OK-and he's the cautious type too. As said, we had many such scaere stories of Bosnia, but it, and everyone we met, was great.

Can't wait........

Liked 270 in 146 posts
    Blog Entries

Well, that took some time, but am writing this from my rented apartment in Vlore, Albania. Its been a fantastic country to visit (so far) and people are so friendly, and love to have tourists. We will spend a week here in various locations-last night we stayed in Theth on the national park. Do NOT beleive anyone that says you can ride a bike here, as you can't. The last 17 kms is unpaved, and is in much worse condition than it was 2 months ago. The only way to get there is by 4x4, or a very light off road enduro bike. Not even a GS1200 could make it, unless seriously good off road. If you fall off, there is nothing soft to fall on, just big rocks and boulders. Its absolutely stunning scenery
    Going full circle of the country before heading back to Kosovo at the weekend. The only thing not to like is the standard of driving, which is appalling. Truly bloody appalling, but it keeps us on our guard at all times.

I wish I had done this earlier, as up reflection, it was me putting obstacles in the way, pure and simple.

Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 2,253 in 1,313 posts
    Blog Entries

When I went (probably about 6-8 years back IIRC...) we came into Albania at the north and onto Schkodre (?sp). THen on to Tirara. No problem on CB1300S / CBR600f / GSX600f. Some light dirt roads but still easy on road bikes. No idea about the rest of Albania (or most of M&A).

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,605 in 2,191 posts

Quote Originally Posted by whysub View Post
    Do NOT beleive anyone that says you can ride a bike here, as you can't. The last 17 kms is unpaved, and is in much worse condition than it was 2 months ago. The only way to get there is by 4x4, or a very light off road enduro bike. Not even a GS1200 could make it, unless seriously good off road.
    Sounds like a challenge to me

I remember when the GS1200 came out people I knew who rode big trail bikes thought that the 1200 was pretty hopeless off road and the preceding 1100 was much better, but even that is a heavy old pig on anything more than a forest fire road (I have seen Simon Pavey ride one round an enduro course very fast, 120mph down forest fire roads has to be seen, I was doing about 70mph on my DRZ on the same fire road)

Anyway sounds like you're having a good time.

Liked 270 in 146 posts
    Blog Entries

The roads here in the main have been great, with just one or two stretches of hideously broken surfaced tarmac (Like the fist couple of miles getting off the ferry in Koman).

Odd, but speaking to many locals, it seems that most roads have improved here over the last few years (with the exception of the road to Theth, which is in the impoverished north). The downside is that driving standards have plummeted-it really is bad. But, keeping this in mind, and riding defensively aggressively seems to work.

Popped into Greece today just to make it 14 countries visited (better than unlucky 13).

7. The following user liked this post made by whysub:

Liked 1,571 in 692 posts

I've just got back from 10 days zipping around Croatia Bosnia and Serbia, rode through Montenegro and two of their borders but didn't overnight there, and never touched albania.
    Id never been further east in europe than austria previously, so it was quite an eye opener in some ways, particularly as I didnt really do a huge amount of planning for this one - I learnt loads along the way
    I also got to properly meet bosnian police too which was certainly interesting, albeit slightly scary for a while but hard cash ensured that it all turned out well in the end- overall an absoloutely top trip in beautiful and differing countries, so many adventures, will do more of a write up when I've got a bit more time

Liked 270 in 146 posts
    Blog Entries

Like to read your account TD. I'm doing the same with this trip, particularly as the info we had before we left about Albania was a bit scant and outdated. Its a great place to visit, great people, scenery and roads. Tourism is still in its infancy in most of the country, but as soon as the cheap flight companies fly here it will change dramatically. Get here while you can.

Was in Sarajevo last Tuesday-still ranks as my favourite City in the World, and the spot marking "Where East meets West" could not be truer.

10. The following user liked this post made by whysub:

Liked 2,535 in 1,226 posts
    Blog Entries

Remember we live near zagreb
    visitors most welcome and we have a spare room and a big field if anyone wants to camp .

12. The following user liked this post made by MrTack:

Liked 1,571 in 692 posts

Like to read your account TD. I'm doing the same with this trip, particularly as the info we had before we left about Albania was a bit scant and outdated. Its a great place to visit, great people, scenery and roads. Tourism is still in its infancy in most of the country, but as soon as the cheap flight companies fly here it will change dramatically. Get here while you can.

Was in Sarajevo last Tuesday-still ranks as my favourite City in the World, and the spot marking "Where East meets West" could not be truer.
    That is freaky- we were in Sarajevo the day after on the wednesday - I won't clag up your thread with the ins and outs of my trip , as it could be a long post- , we had so many adventures on this trip, it's what to put in really, will get something up tonight

Quote Originally Posted by MrTack View Post
    Remember we live near zagreb
    visitors most welcome and we have a spare room and a big field if anyone wants to camp .
    Cheers Tack, your posts usually make me smile and I would have loved to have come and met you and MD (as I don't think we've ever met? ), this trip was a bit of a time limited one, but I absolutely loved everything about Croatia, and will definitely be back, so hopefully next time

14. The following user liked this post made by TrickyDicky:

Liked 73 in 51 posts

Well, that took some time, but am writing this from my rented apartment in Vlore, Albania. Its been a fantastic country to visit (so far) and people are so friendly, and love to have tourists. We will spend a week here in various locations-last night we stayed in Theth on the national park. Do NOT beleive anyone that says you can ride a bike here, as you can't. The last 17 kms is unpaved, and is in much worse condition than it was 2 months ago. The only way to get there is by 4x4, or a very light off road enduro bike. Not even a GS1200 could make it, unless seriously good off road. If you fall off, there is nothing soft to fall on, just big rocks and boulders. Its absolutely stunning scenery
    Going full circle of the country before heading back to Kosovo at the weekend. The only thing not to like is the standard of driving, which is appalling. Truly bloody appalling, but it keeps us on our guard at all times.

I wish I had done this earlier, as up reflection, it was me putting obstacles in the way, pure and simple.
    We rode into and around Theth without any particular issue, it's definitely rocky rather than muddy but I wouldn't bat an eyelid at taking a big trailie around the area, we were on 690 ktm enduros so we made it more interesting by riding at night and in the rain, I remember one Czech traveller was piloting a 2wd Lada Riva down some of the rockier tracks (though he was at walking speed)

We went because my friend had been on a NATO exercise around Vlore and Biza but a lot of the tracks he'd been on the year before were being graded, we ended up taking to riverbeds for a hardcore fix

Liked 270 in 146 posts
    Blog Entries

The SH21 going from Skhodar to Theth was practically impossible to traverse on two wheels, although there are other routes to Theth, accessed just East of Skhodar.

The SH21 gets worse each week, according to the owner of the accommodation we rented, because of all the "wankers" running the 4x4 adventures, driving along at stupid speeds to impress their customers
    They also crash quite a lot into the scenery, or locals. We encountered a few of them in our taxi, and whole heartedly agree.

Just planning the 2019 trip to Croatia and Slovenia. Looks like the Motorail will not be running on 2020, according to my contacts in Vienna. But at €300 for the bike, and a bed in a 4 berth compartment for me, return, is a bargain. Covers nearly 1,300 miles whilst I sleep, and although the ride to Dusseldorf is crap (although diverting for fish and chips in Venlow, and a stop for a photo of the bank in Wankum relieve the boredom), the ride from Innesbruck to Slovenia is brilliant-into the mountains within minutes.

Taking the RC8 this time-if was great on my trip to Slovakia in 2018, extremely comforted even on 11 hour rides. Going to avoid the coast roads in Croatia and ride through the interior of the country, and Slovenia is stunning.

Liked 270 in 146 posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think Kosovo is unstable at present-it wasn't when we were there. Some great places to see, and can highly recommend staying in Prizren for a day or two. It is a very friendly town/city, and the walk up to the castle is worth it for the panoramic views.

Throughout Kosovo we met some wonderful people, who welcome visitors. Having filled up with fuel, a bloke comes over two us with two ice cold bottles of beer and says "Welcome to Kosovo".

The only downside? Rubbish is everywhere, as it seems impossible for 99% to know what a rubbish bin is for, despite one being 10 feet away, stuff will simply get chucked on the floor.
    Ignore that and I can practically guarantee you'll want to visit again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission