TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ridden in Montenegro & Albania?

Liked 237 in 127 posts

Default Anyone Ridden in Montenegro & Albania?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Arranging my trip for August/September 2014 over to Europe. Basically planning to get the motorail train to Villach in Austria, dropping through Slovenia onto Croatia to ride Bear Mountain in Zagreb then the Adriatic coast and a few of the islands. Then want to go to Sarajevo in Bosnia to see the abandoned Winter Olympic sites (didn't have time on the last trip there).

Also considering doing a loop through Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Kosova and Serbia before returning to Croatia, which is not too bad mileage wise, and will give me some stamps in my passport! Anyone on here ridden in any of these countries? Going with a couple of mate, one of which speaks fluent Croatian which helps with language so no worries there

Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 2,252 in 1,312 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone Ridden in Montenegro & Albania?

I did something similar a few years back. Uk, then ride to catch the train from Dusseldorf to Villach then onwards to Albania via the Croatian coast and back again. Good crack, you do need to be a bit careful from Montenegro onwards but if you've been to the area you know all about that.

I came back the same way as I went out as I found it hard to get insurance for Bosnia etc. from memory it looked like a better (faster) route that going back up the Croatian coast road which was slow. Roads in Albania could be very slow - and watch out for missing manhole covers.
    Last edited by MyLittleStudPony; 31-12-13 at 01:55. Reason: Ambiguity and errors!

Deleted on Request

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleStudPony View Post
    I did something similar a few years back. Uk, then ride to catch the train from Dusseldorf to Villach then onwards to Albania via the Croatian coast and back again. Good crack, you do need to be a bit careful from Montenegro onwards but if you've been to the area you know all about that.

I came back the same way as I went out as I found it hard to get insurance for Bosnia etc. from memory it looked like a better (faster) route that going back up the Croatian coast road which was slow. Roads in Albania could be very slow - and watch out for missing manhole covers.
    For a return route, there is a new(ish) North-South toll-motorway in Croatia. I was there 4-5 years ago and it looked like it had just opened, very light traffic. That would get you up through Croatia in a few hours if you were in a rush.

Liked 237 in 127 posts

Thanks. My mate has a place on the island of Pag in Croatia, so we stay there for a few days. My insurance covered me for Bosnia as well as Serbia when I went in there in 2012, where as a mate was told he could buy insurance at the Bosnian border. Or at least he should have...............

Apparently the areas we are planning to visit in Albania have a few good roads (hence why we are going there). Not so sure about Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia and Serbia, but we haven't yet planned that part of the route. But the (relatively) unknown is what travelling by bike is all about for me.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Have been through croatia and bosnia a couple of times and will be going back as so much yet to see. Its a good choice to do at least some of the coast road as you won't see better views than along the adriatic. I have always been put off going as far as montenegro as the depravity is a tad too much for me with child prostitution at the traffic lights in towns but i'm sure this goes on in many places but just was not for me.
    As said the new A1 motorway is quick and many empty compared to busy ones we are used to but can be expensive and boring. I'm sure many will give you ideas of routes but I only did part of the motorway and came off at J14 sveti rok to ride towards the coast which route 50 takes you through medak which is now an empty town which seems frozen in time with humbling reminders of what happened there, caution should be taken to not venture off the road as much was still mined with warnings through that part.
    The best road for me was from gospic to karlobag which is difficult to watch going down the mountain hairpins with the coastal view in front of you.

Deleted on Request

Quote Originally Posted by whysub View Post
    Thanks. My mate has a place on the island of Pag in Croatia, so we stay there for a few days. My insurance covered me for Bosnia as well as Serbia when I went in there in 2012, where as a mate was told he could buy insurance at the Bosnian border. Or at least he should have...............

Apparently the areas we are planning to visit in Albania have a few good roads (hence why we are going there). Not so sure about Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia and Serbia, but we haven't yet planned that part of the route. But the (relatively) unknown is what travelling by bike is all about for me.

That sounds a great trip. Myself and the wife are considering a road trip (in the car) around that area next year. Is Kosovo still unstable?

I haven't been to Albania other than on a coach trip from Corfu, but the bit of it I saw (around Sarande) looked utterly desolate in a boring, not beautiful way. The roads around there would require a bike with off-road ability unless you are happy travelling at less than 20mph.

Blog Entries

Albania is rough around the edges.

I remember going to look around a fortress whish was a pay-to-enter tourist attraction and a gang of rag tag locals had taken to living in there and had left small piles of human faeces right in the middle of a lot of the pathways and areas of note.

Bits are nice and unspoiled. I came across the border from the north and into Skhoder (?sp), and only got as far as Tirana when it was time to head back. I saw more in Romania TBH but Albania was lairier and more random. Tirana is worth a look and good restaurants there are very cheap. I did the Albania trip on a CB1300S which was much better than the DL1000 I took on another Eastern Euro sortie. Wherever you go there will be Germans on GSs.

As for child prostitues I didn't see any in Montenegro or Albania but I imagine you get them in any relatively poor country and I wouldn't let that stop me going to places.

Liked 237 in 127 posts

Thanks for all the advice. Kosovo seems to be more stable than it was in 2012 when we looked to go there-Bosnia was fine. We just need to take that bit extra care with things in some places as there are still thousands of land mines buried in the time of the troubles 18 years ago still waiting to be discovered!

The Adriatic coast in Croatia is simply stunning-the roads, scenery, weather, everything simply brilliant. Last time though, rather than travel back up through Croatia we got the ferry from Split to Ancona to ride north to Milan on the Italian side of the Adriatic. DO NOT DO THIS. The entire coast line northwards looks more like the Thames estuary. The main road runs through industrial area after industrial area with low speed limits that are heavily enforced.

One reason we have for going to Albania is that a mate has just been posted back there after 3 years working in the UK. He knows the country well, says it has a better infrastructure now than when he worked there before-he will arrange routes for us to ride using decent roads.

You get rough places and people everywhere. I ride down to see mates in Czech Republic every year, and I still get shocked by the poverty in some of the places we ride through. Really shocked, but the people are fantastically friendly. That's what seeing the World is for though-otherwise I'd just go to Sandals.

We will be riding an odd assortment of bikes-BMW R1200RT, Bandit 1250 and a pre V-Tec VFR 800 (all been ridden in eastern Europe before-no issues with the roads, and we avoid motorways wherever possible). I'm not sure whether to take my Guzzi 1200 Sport (more comfortable) or my old CBR600 (potentially easier to fix should there be any mechanical issues).

Liked 2,531 in 1,223 posts
    Blog Entries

the motorway now goes from the slovenian border all the way to ploce now (its still a toll) and the limits are pretty much lightly enforced .i cant see the bridge being built from ploce to bypass neum as its cost will be prohibitive.

Liked 237 in 127 posts

I see that Bear Mountain just outside of Zagreb (a fantastic one way road up, 11 miles full of hairpin bends to the top, and another 14 miles down with as many hairpins the other side) is on Google maps all photographed (just put in sljemenska cesta). If anyone is going to Zagreb, it just has to be ridden (or even driven).

Liked 2,531 in 1,223 posts
    Blog Entries

and one ive got to try is manastirska ulica.we drove near it and i missed the turning so went further east to get to pakrac.on google its pretty good and even when we went in summer the traffic was light

Liked 237 in 127 posts

So plans are made, subject to change of course. Mate has worked out a route of sorts. He knows some people in the countries we are going to which is a big help (as are his linguistic skills).

Ride to Dusseldorf, then overnight Motorail to Villach in Austria. From there ride through Slovania to Zagreb to see mates for a couple of days. Then ride down Croatia via the Adriatic coast roads, and stay in Pag for a couple of days, Then onto Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania (to stay with a friend near Tirana), through Macedonia, Kosovo and Serbia going onto Bulgaria (have a friend in Sofia). From there onto crossing the border into Romania for a couple of hours before returning to Serbia, then onto Bosnia, Croatia and then onto Autria to catch the Motorail back to Dusseldorf.

Although it sounds busy, the daily distances aren't big (Villach to Zagreb is 4 hours) AND we will get lots of stamps in our passports! We had thought of nipping across Romania onto Moldova and the Ukraine. However our mate in Romania suggested, quite forcefully, that we don't venture into Ukraine-he described it as being total Bandit country.

Still, looks like it could be a great trip.

Deleted on Request

Quote Originally Posted by whysub View Post
    So plans are made, subject to change of course. Mate has worked out a route of sorts. He knows some people in the countries we are going to which is a big help (as are his linguistic skills).

Ride to Dusseldorf, then overnight Motorail to Villach in Austria. From there ride through Slovania to Zagreb to see mates for a couple of days. Then ride down Croatia via the Adriatic coast roads, and stay in Pag for a couple of days, Then onto Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania (to stay with a friend near Tirana), through Macedonia, Kosovo and Serbia going onto Bulgaria (have a friend in Sofia). From there onto crossing the border into Romania for a couple of hours before returning to Serbia, then onto Bosnia, Croatia and then onto Autria to catch the Motorail back to Dusseldorf.

Although it sounds busy, the daily distances aren't big (Villach to Zagreb is 4 hours) AND we will get lots of stamps in our passports! We had thought of nipping across Romania onto Moldova and the Ukraine. However our mate in Romania suggested, quite forcefully, that we don't venture into Ukraine-he described it as being total Bandit country.

Still, looks like it could be a great trip.
    One thing i've noticed about foreigners is how suspicious they are of their neighbours. In the same way that english people will swear that the welsh shag sheep, your Romanian mate will swear that the Ukraine is bandit country.

I rode through the full width of the Ukraine from East to West 18 months back. It's a bit more out there than a lot of the other former eastern block places, but I would happily sleep under the stars there and leave my helmet hung on my mirror. Lovely country.

Having said that, the border guards are notoriously corrupt, as are the police. I had no problems with the police covering the few hundred miles I did, but bribery is the order of the day (the bribes are cheap though). One of the border guards 'jokingly' asked for a 'gift' after he had 'gifted' filling out a form for me (it was in Russian, I couldn't do it). I just laughed, thanked him and walked away, whilst he also laughed. I've had far less pleasant experiences at Heathrow.

Moldova: I think you've got to buy some kind of road tax thing on entry, it costs about 50 IIRC (I've only read about this). It lasts a year, but it's a bit steep if you are only there for a couple of hours.

Liked 237 in 127 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deleted on Request View Post
    One thing i've noticed about foreigners is how suspicious they are of their neighbours. In the same way that english people will swear that the welsh shag sheep, your Romanian mate will swear that the Ukraine is bandit country.

I rode through the full width of the Ukraine from East to West 18 months back. It's a bit more out there than a lot of the other former eastern block places, but I would happily sleep under the stars there and leave my helmet hung on my mirror. Lovely country.

Having said that, the border guards are notoriously corrupt, as are the police. I had no problems with the police covering the few hundred miles I did, but bribery is the order of the day (the bribes are cheap though). One of the border guards 'jokingly' asked for a 'gift' after he had 'gifted' filling out a form for me (it was in Russian, I couldn't do it). I just laughed, thanked him and walked away, whilst he also laughed. I've had far less pleasant experiences at Heathrow.

Moldova: I think you've got to buy some kind of road tax thing on entry, it costs about 50 IIRC (I've only read about this). It lasts a year, but it's a bit steep if you are only there for a couple of hours.
    Thanks for that L-C. I'd better check out the Moldova tax thing. Been caught out before with an unexpected tax-didn't realise I had to pay $25 to exit New Zealand, and had about $8 on me as spent all my money except that.

As for the Ukraine, thanks. I find East Europeans seem to distrust their near neighbours (Croatians the Bosnians, the Bosnians the Serbians) forgetting they were all one country 20 years ago. We don't do that with the Welsh or the Scotch do we? Oh yes, I see your point.

And we are well versed at "gifting" border guards with bits of English stuff (funnily enough Walkers Scottish shortbread biscuits are liked, Cadbury's chocolate is not) Old cloth badges from the army or police go down well too. And as my m,ate speaks Croatian (or is it Slavian?) we seem to get through OK.

Maybe we will have to rethink Ukraine. I'll show my mates your videos of your Russian jaunt (just loved that-Henry Cole has feck all on you)

Blog Entries

That breakaway state on the other end of Moldova is said to be a bit tasty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission