TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't you do Trackdays ?

Liked 9,853 in 5,678 posts

Default Why don't you do Trackdays ?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Just curious really...

Wondering if there's a reason or set of reasons why particular people don't do trackdays ?

Choice of bike owned ?
    Can't see the sense in going round in circles ?
    No interest in it...
    Fear of crashing ?

Etc etc...

I struggle with grasping why people don't do trackdays in all honesty, but then i'm quite focused in my riding wants/wishes which isn't necessarily the same as some/many....

Liked 970 in 499 posts

Default Re: Why don't you do Trackdays ?

Love to do it.

I guess it's mainly because I own a Pan European, not really a track tool. I have wavered on this over the last couple of days (mainly cos the Pan is kept a couple of miles from my house and it's a ballache if I want to go for a 'spontanious' ride), but I'm struggling to justify either trading it in, or buying something else to use, like a hornet or Fazer 1000, that I can keep at the house. I'd also then probably have no worries about using this for a track day.

As I'm writing this out I'm suddenly talking myself into getting a 2nd bike again

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,939 in 2,258 posts
    Blog Entries

A long way to my nearest track.
    Possibly an unsuitable bike.
    Cost, mostly related to the first.

I've done one, with CCM, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Never say never and all that.

Liked 1,014 in 439 posts

I used to enjoy track days (I was never especially quick I have to add, ...bet I'm a lot slower now) but the sheer expense now makes it unaffordable.
    I still own a suitable bike but after the track fee itself, van hire, fuel, possibly accomodation and the costs soon mounts up, all assuming theres no additional repairs or replacement bits to source.
    Also the travel times mean I can no longer just do it for a day like I used to when I lived in Nottingham but at least a days travel each side of the event day are also needed.

Finance and logistics, pretty much the basics for anything we do.

Liked 5,511 in 3,445 posts
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't do nearly as many if I had to pay for them

Liked 389 in 222 posts

when I ride my bike I like to go somewhere and see something and ride on roads that I haven't ridden on before.

I have done trackdays, but going round and round and round in circles doing the same 12 (or so) bends ultimately got a bit tedious and is not something that I'd want to do more than once a year. Also at every trackday (other than the ones at castle combe) I've had 'oh fuck' moments where lads have come past me going waaay faster than anybody else in the novice group, presumably regulars that couldn't get places in inters/fast groups so go in novice.

the last one was the last lap of the last session of the day, the chequered flag had gone out so I (and everyone else around me) was cruising around to the pits, I was in the middle of the track going around a right hander when 2 bikes came past me at max chat, one on the inside and the other on the outside. IF I had changed line in either direction there would have been a serious crash all because 2 knob heads didn't have the sense to back off after the flag was put out.

I have a mortgage to pay and can't be doing with fucking about with people like that ^^^, if they want their macho 'I'm the fastest fucking hero in the world' fix they can crack on, just not on the same bit of tarmac as me.

the going round in circles bit applies to MX as well, I did a couple of MX days at tonymoto(?) organised by someone on VD, I really did enjoy the experience but I'd rather have been out exploring the countryside

Liked 4,534 in 2,227 posts

I've got a 25 year old dead GPZ900R, no time, no money, I work 6 days a week, and if I had a bike that went, I'd rather ride it to places instead of round in circles getting in the way of much faster riders. I hope that's OK with you.

Liked 9,853 in 5,678 posts

Quote Originally Posted by chillitt View Post
    I hope that's OK with you.
    why would it not be ? What's with the agression ?

Liked 4,534 in 2,227 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    why would it not be ? What's with the agression ?
    What aggression? You asked the question, said you couldn't understand it. Turns out there's all sorts of reasons why people don't do trackdays. Some of them are really obvious. we aren't all the same and thats not a new thing.

Liked 6,774 in 3,837 posts

Lack of funds, but mainly time.

also, the last trackday I did pissed me off as it was the first after 4 years of club racing... and it's difficult to stick to the trackday rules after a bit of racing. I managed to make one fella on an RC8 very upset with an overtake that I felt was perfectly safe, but not necessarily in his idea the spirit of a trackday

Liked 5,511 in 3,445 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Lack of funds, but mainly time.

also, the last trackday I did pissed me off as it was the first after 4 years of club racing... and it's difficult to stick to the trackday rules after a bit of racing. I managed to make one fella on an RC8 very upset with an overtake that I felt was perfectly safe, but not necessarily in his idea the spirit of a trackday
    Tee hee, I have to be very courteous when overtaking, when wearing my orange bib.

But if some muppet cuts me up, then it's a race

Liked 3,700 in 2,499 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    A long way to my nearest track.
    Possibly an unsuitable bike.
    Cost, mostly related to the first.
    240 miles from me to the track.

No ferries though.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,939 in 2,258 posts
    Blog Entries

125 miles plus a 5 or 7 hour ferry crossing, depending on whether it call in to Barra on the way

Or

260 miles plus a 1 and 3/4 hour ferry crossing.

I'm often on the big island with a van but I'm usually taking stuff away of bring it back and it more than likely there wouldn't be room for the bike as well.

Liked 2,088 in 1,257 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Just curious really...

Wondering if there's a reason or set of reasons why particular people don't do trackdays ?

Choice of bike owned ?
    Can't see the sense in going round in circles ?
    No interest in it...
    Fear of crashing ?

Etc etc...

I struggle with grasping why people don't do trackdays in all honesty, but then i'm quite focused in my riding wants/wishes which isn't necessarily the same as some/many....
    Well you know I do them... I'd love to do them more ... but worry about trashing the bike / and / or myself becoming to complacent with being on track. So feel limiting how much track work I do keeps my level of self preservation intact...

Liked 5,180 in 2,800 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordboy View Post
    Love to do it.

I guess it's mainly because I own a Pan European, not really a track tool. I have wavered on this over the last couple of days (mainly cos the Pan is kept a couple of miles from my house and it's a ballache if I want to go for a 'spontanious' ride), but I'm struggling to justify either trading it in, or buying something else to use, like a hornet or Fazer 1000, that I can keep at the house. I'd also then probably have no worries about using this for a track day.

As I'm writing this out I'm suddenly talking myself into getting a 2nd bike again

Do swap with my VFR

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission