TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Why don't you do Trackdays ?

Liked 1,572 in 692 posts

Default Re: Why don't you do Trackdays ?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    Novice group riders on fast bikes won’t be much slower on the main straights. And those in the intermediate group will have more experience and will able to pass you safer.
    Believe me, they will.- the average true novice really doesn't use anywhere near all the performance the average 600+ bike has on the straights. And even if they do, they are typically very late on full gas, and its only for a very short time before they throttle off and brake.
    It is easy to pass real novices safely and courteously without impact to either their or your progress if you are reasonably experienced and mindful of the group you're in, and the fact that that it is a trackday, assuming of course that you're not a complete tosspot rude or unthoughtful person

One key element of the going-in-a-slower-group-to-win crowd is pretending that doesn’t go on - to lure more newbys along - to beat.

It’s not what puts me off track days. But it’s a factor. And the cliquiness.
    I don't doubt that exists, as Im sure it does, but it wouldn't around us old TRC lot- there is undoubtedly a bit of sometimes seemingly perhaps harsh on-line banter about speed, but it's not how it is on the day IME.

Get yourself along to Pembrey, lots of us (me included) who haven't already met you would like to , I'm sure, it'll be a good ride on the bike and a decent social do /piss up whether you go on track or not , and if you do, no one is going to put you under any pressure to feel you need to try and go faster than you want to- unless you want to of course, in which case you could be almost certain of finding one of the gang to play with, or watch your back / help you along if you wanted as it were - - You would also likely be the jedi master of the Clique

2. The following user liked this post made by TrickyDicky:

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,770 in 1,690 posts

The going in a lower group to win isn’t really a thing, problem is the speed difference between the bottom of a group and the top can be 30s a lap or more yet at both these extremes both are correct for the group. If you’re the slowest the quickest will come by so fast you’ll be convinced they are a GP rider but the reality is they are still novice speed. There’s only 3 groups and within those you have to fit more than 3 different lap times. But there is an issue with etiquette, A polite fast rider could go all day in the wrong group and not have a complaint, trouble is there is an element of folk who aren’t polite I guess just like the everyday world. Trackdays are also a lot quicker than they used to be especially if you pick a company that has a race series, go with a day like the Pembrey one and it’s steadier, same with msv days in general too.

4. The following user liked this post made by couchcommando:

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,770 in 1,690 posts

One key element of the going-in-a-slower-group-to-win crowd is pretending that doesnít go on - to lure more newbys along - to beat.

Itís not what puts me off track days. But itís a factor. And the cliquiness.
    Get yourself to Pembrey, you can pass the old bloke on his adventure bike who has obviously got lost

6. The following user liked this post made by couchcommando:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 89 in 70 posts

I've done about 7 or 8 days now and only the past couple I have booked myself into inters, I was quicker than most in the novice groups I was booking into but that didn't mean I wanted or felt I was good enough to move up, its not a need to win thing at all imo, some people just do not think they are good enough to move up. yes I know there are folk who book into the novice because there are no places left elsewhere but they are the people I tried to tag onto to help me improve, if they didn't join the groups id still have no idea how I could actually carry the speed into the corners, its all a learning curve. weird thing is when you do book yourself into inters, you find it not to different from novice lol
    I'd still book into novice on a new track though, then try and move up at dinner if there are any spaces

Liked 1,830 in 1,202 posts

Funnily enough one of the only time's on track I've had a problem with an overtake was.....Neil Hodgson! I was in Inters and he was out with someone. On lap 1 at Silverstone I was on cold tyres so taking it fairly gingerly and his pupil came through fine on the entry to a corner, but at exactly the wrong time for me (as I'm trying to hit the apex) Neil stuffed it up my inside and f*cked me right up. I'm sure in his mind it was all good but for me was totally unexpected and threw me totally as I ended up sitting the bike up. I was a bit miffed as someone like him would have had no problems getting passed a few seconds later.

Liked 182 in 111 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    Funnily enough one of the only time's on track I've had a problem with an overtake was.....Neil Hodgson! I was in Inters and he was out with someone. On lap 1 at Silverstone I was on cold tyres so taking it fairly gingerly and his pupil came through fine on the entry to a corner, but at exactly the wrong time for me (as I'm trying to hit the apex) Neil stuffed it up my inside and f*cked me right up. I'm sure in his mind it was all good but for me was totally unexpected and threw me totally as I ended up sitting the bike up. I was a bit miffed as someone like him would have had no problems getting passed a few seconds later.
    Plenty of room around the outside too at Silverstone its not a one line circuit at most peoples normal pace

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission