TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hmm, What Bikes Do We Need ?

Liked 4,187 in 2,219 posts

Default Re: Hmm, What Bikes Do We Need ?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by crust View Post
    'm with TC on this.

I just sold my Superduke to get a trail bike, I could have had any size I wanted - hopefully I'll pick up my 350 next weekend. The only reason i'm getting a 350 over a 250 is because I do a fair bit of road work to meet up with my regular riding partners.

I've raced open class two strokes and big four strokes in MX and Enduros, sure it's fun to have monster power, being able to hoik wheelies at the twist of a wrist, destroy climbs in any gear but trail riding is not like that, there's no rush, it's more fun having a light flickable bike to pick your way. Would I want a 450 riding up volcanos as a relative novice - no way.
    Depends what type of off-road riding you're doing.
    For UK green lanes then I had a KDX125, I'd always want something small and light because it's going to get stuck in bogs or in ruts and you'll have to hoik it out.
    Same for gnarly enduro really, I'd want something small and light. My 300EXC was even too much in the Welsh enduro's, I switched to a 125 and it was loads easier, my mate stuck with a 450 and had a nightmare.

Out here I ride in the desert, so my last bike was a newish RM125 with 40bhp, so there was plenty of power and it was light, but whenever I borrowed a KTM450 I found it so much easier to ride using the extra torque to waft over the sand. On the RM125 I was constantly hammering it to keep up with the lads on 450's, when we all went out on 450's I was always out in front - so that alone tells me that the 450 is better on the dunes.

I think Yoricks riding areas will be more desert landscape than gnarly Welsh enduro type stuff, so personally I'd have the bigger bike.
    My experience of off-road riding in the Canaries was wide open tracks and no peat bogs.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Liked 3,626 in 2,273 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    I think Yoricks riding areas will be more desert landscape than gnarly Welsh enduro type stuff, so personally I'd have the bigger bike.
    My experience of off-road riding in the Canaries was wide open tracks and no peat bogs.
    It's a right mixture, but no mud or bogs.

In midde of island, it's mainly deep sand paths. Otherwise mainly rocky paths. Some quick, some tight and twisty. And often go up and dowm dried river beds, which is almost trials bike territory.

Oh, and there's lots of steep up and down bits

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    It's a right mixture, but no mud or bogs.

In midde of island, it's mainly deep sand paths. Otherwise mainly rocky paths. Some quick, some tight and twisty. And often go up and dowm dried river beds, which is almost trials bike territory.

Oh, and there's lots of steep up and down bits
    In that case I'd agree with the others, I'd be going for something really small and light.

Blog Entries

In that case I'd agree with the others, I'd be going for something really small and light.
    Might have another look at Beta XTrainer. Gets rave reviews for novices. Just need Pen to be able to get her toes down.

Liked 1,307 in 718 posts
    Blog Entries

With the 450 you can pick the front wheel up to pop it over a rut or hole without really thinking about it, whereas if you try that with a 250/350 and you aren't in the right gear then your front wheel will bury itself.
    I'm no Knighter but I've done a mile or three on dirt, and TBH if somebody tells me to just pop the front up when I'm out on a green lane I'll look at them like they've got two heads, as would most of the TRF blokes I've known. If you've got an obstacle so high that you can't roll over it then you're into hardcore riding,and I don't think Yorick has that in mind for Penny. In fact short of being on a trials iron I don't think he has that in mind for himself

What I do remember very clearly is going up a steep rocky climb on the IoM on my 450 struggling to hang on as the back wheel spun, not daring to stop as I'd never have got started again, every now and then fighting off a wheelie as I fed in a whiff too much throttle or resisted being pitched over the bars as my tired wrists closed the throttle a fraction. I've done similar climbs on a 250 and all you do is make sure it's in the right gear and let it plod up.
    Last edited by Tomcat; 10-10-17 at 16:24.

Being able to pick the front wheel up at will over steps and ruts was one of the key things that made riding a lot easier for me.
    It was literally like turning a corner in my ability.
    On the 450 it’s easy to do at any pace.

But I agree in mud they’re hard work, there is so much torque that you spend all your time sideways, it’s like the rear wheel is on marbles.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 84 in 42 posts

Quite a few betas for sale, have you considered one of those? I own a KTM 300 and a Beta 300, the beta is better. Xtrainer is a good novice / slower riders bike I would recommend that over a free ride.

9. The following user liked this post made by NigelBates:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NigelBates View Post
    Quite a few betas for sale, have you considered one of those? I own a KTM 300 and a Beta 300, the beta is better. Xtrainer is a good novice / slower riders bike I would recommend that over a free ride.
    Have arranged to have a go on Freeride and XTrainer at same time for back to back comparison. Father and son locally own both.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

royal enfield classic Gunmetal Grey 346 cc

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum