TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hmm, What Bikes Do We Need ?

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 1,936 in 1,154 posts

Default Re: Hmm, What Bikes Do We Need ?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Try lots of bikes and find one you like, just remember there is no perfect dirt bike, what works on fast open tracks won't work in tight twisty going, buy a bike for the type of riding you enjoy.
    Japanese is generally more reliable than European, but can be a bit bland.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
  3. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 13 in 9 posts

Can get new CRF205L under 4,000, just wish there was summat with a bit more oomph.

Liked 3,648 in 2,290 posts
    Blog Entries

I'm looking to buy a new Freeride and can get a 250 for 6,750 or a 350 for 5,500 !!!. Both new, but warranties may be nada here LOL

I've ridden a few bikes over here (Lanzarote) and only one I really like is my pal's 2014 250. It goes where I point it and love the engine.

After 35 years road/track riding, I'm used to my front wheel glued to the road. It's so wierd to get used to the loose feeling. That's why I loved the 250. The front seems superb. All the others have a very vague front.
    And the 250 is great in loose sand and gravel paths, of which we have loads

But it's the lack of engine braking and poor back brakes that let it down. Obviously we have dozens of volcanoes to go up. Great fun. But what goes up, must come come down. Not as much fun.
    All the other lads hurtle down, but I've no confidence yet, so need to slow (or even stop) when I feel the need.

The 350 will have the engine braking, but how are they on sand and gravel ?

Do they have the same frame/forks geometry ?

The front end feel is important to me, until I have the confidence to just go for it

The 350 is a great price, but no good if it doesnt have the 250 front feel

And I've heard the 350 is a bit of a rattley beastie ?

Liked 1,308 in 718 posts
    Blog Entries

KTM Freeride are you talking about? There have been lots of reports of ignition failure/starting trouble. They may have cured it but personally I wouldn't get one. KTM make great sport bikes for offroad (go to any enduro or MX event and it'll be a sea of orange) but reliability seems to take second place to performance. I had a 250 EXC and while it never broke down and was a fantastic bike to ride, the electric starter was an afterthought, exposed to damage and regularly failed to start the bike, even struggling to turn over a 2T with a new battery.

The other thing that I'd add from more than a few years offroad experience, is that more is often less. You don't NEED a 450, in fact a 450 is rather less pleasant to ride than a 250 IME, with instant throttle response that can catch you out on loose ground and if you shut off the engine braking can pitch you forward. Most serious enduro riders now go for 350s, which have pretty much the same power as the 250-2T with more midrange but which are much more forgiving than a 450.

So while I wouldn't advise against a KTM I do think you need to buy with your eyes open, and unless you have a particularly good KTM shop over there I'd stay Japanese. The CRF250X or WR250F are both very fine enduro bikes (so competent off road but legal on road) and frankly unless you're gonna race I'd stop with a 250. They will go anywhere.

Don't know if you're still looking for a starter bike for Penny but personally I'd steer clear of 125s. A proper offroad 125 will be the same size as a 250 and harder to ride as you need to keep it on the boil to go anywhere especially if the ground is a bit snotty. My recommendation for a starter bike would be a Yamaha Serow/XT225 or Honda CRF230F. These are low tech and fairly low saddle height so well suited to beginners, yet still remarkably able on the rough stuff. They are also super reliable so I wouldn't bother buying new especially if you think she'll only be on it for a year or two.

HTH

7. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Liked 4,221 in 2,238 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post

The other thing that I'd add from more than a few years offroad experience, is that more is often less. You don't NEED a 450, in fact a 450 is rather less pleasant to ride than a 250 IME, with instant throttle response that can catch you out on loose ground and if you shut off the engine braking can pitch you forward. Most serious enduro riders now go for 350s, which have pretty much the same power as the 250-2T with more midrange but which are much more forgiving than a 450.
    I wouldn't have another 250 or 350.
    IMHO they are harder to ride at moderate amateur pace than a 450.

With the 450 you can pick the front wheel up to pop it over a rut or hole without really thinking about it, whereas if you try that with a 250/350 and you aren't in the right gear then your front wheel will bury itself.
    I think the 450 is potentially harder to ride flat out, just because it's so powerful that you have to be very good to control it, but if I ever raced motocross again I'd have a 450 no question, I had to work so much harder on my 350 just to keep up with the 450's.

9. The following user liked this post made by icarus1859:

Really Bored
    Liked 430 in 213 posts

'm with TC on this.

I just sold my Superduke to get a trail bike, I could have had any size I wanted - hopefully I'll pick up my 350 next weekend. The only reason i'm getting a 350 over a 250 is because I do a fair bit of road work to meet up with my regular riding partners.

I've raced open class two strokes and big four strokes in MX and Enduros, sure it's fun to have monster power, being able to hoik wheelies at the twist of a wrist, destroy climbs in any gear but trail riding is not like that, there's no rush, it's more fun having a light flickable bike to pick your way. Would I want a 450 riding up volcanos as a relative novice - no way.

As for Penny, again I'm with TC, Serows are top fun little bikes. There's a couple in my local TRF group and their low seat height and soft power get them loads of places you wouldn't believe possible, for a learner they are the ideal bike. Likewise with the CRF230.

Off-road is very different to road riding, a lot of the top riders stay with 250s and don't bother with the big bikes, they just take too much strength to keep in check at any kind of speed and it's too easy to get into trouble on them because of their power, it's not like a circuit where you can run in deeper, usually there's no run-off room, even more so on your volcano.

Blog Entries

I need a 125 for Pen to learn on, in readiness for her test. And one that can do a few gentle trails. And will keep it for friends and guests to use on visits.

And the one I buy now will go to Pen when she gets her test. It will be a keeper, so will buy it new.

The market is limited but 2 KTM dealers on the other islands. Maybe that's why 80% of Enduro bikes here are KTMs.
    Last edited by Yorick; 09-10-17 at 16:00.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crust View Post
    I just sold my Superduke to get a trail bike, I could have had any size I wanted - hopefully I'll pick up my 350 next weekend. The only reason i'm getting a 350 over a 250 is because I do a fair bit of road work to meet up with my regular riding partners.
    What you getting ?

Blog Entries

This is the current (nearly) new market here

https://www.milanuncios.com/motos-de...cd=250&cch=500

Liked 4,221 in 2,238 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    This is the current (nearly) new market here

https://www.milanuncios.com/motos-de...cd=250&cch=500
    Seems expensive?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    Seems expensive?
    All less than a year old. Can pay silly money new.

Liked 6,910 in 3,992 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    What you getting ?
    350exc-f six days

17. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Really Bored
    Liked 430 in 213 posts

Hopefully a KTM 350 EXC.
    80% of off road bikes are pretty much KTMs wherever you go, well probably nearer 50% with rest a mix of the others. Go Orange: )

19. The following user liked this post made by crust:

Liked 6,910 in 3,992 posts

Someone told me in a thread that KTM are Europe's largest retailer now. How true that is I don't know, but found it interesting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    350exc-f six days
    Coolio

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum