This is an independent one man website solely funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larger fellow looking for help.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Larger fellow looking for help.

This is an independent one man website solely funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    I know most people say 'Don't buy Chinese', and in the past I would have been one of them, but 3 people where I work have all recently bought Keeway bikes. Two of them over 6 foot tall went for the Keeway Superlight 125, and the younger lad opted for the TX125. The two older gentlemen 29 and 40+ with the Superlights say they're good bikes for the money, especially if you're working to a time plan and intend to progress before the warranty runs out. The younger lad with the TX thrashes the tits off it and hasn't killed it yet (6 months).

Blog Entries

Save your money, do your CBT then a DAS a few months later (I'm assuming you're over 21 or 24 as the case may be). Get a cheap 125, and then chop it in as soon as you have a bigger licence. You shouldn't lose much if anything if you buy the right 125 (SBF/CG should hold the money) and then you can buy something bigger/better. Trust me from experience. Big and 125 do not mix well. Big and 500cc mix much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Tooty View Post
    Nb I bought something with supersport pretensions.

It was two stroke and did over 100 and it was quicker up that hill that goes through St Annes than the bus.
    Was it a 12bhp restricted 125? Well then.

Should Get Out More Mr Rooty Tooty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No it wasn't, who the fuck would restrict a 125?

No it wasn't, who the fuck would restrict a 125?
    Dunno, the people who wrote the 12bhp regs perhaps?

Blog Entries

This is a prescribed argument isn't it?

Run the play-

I say you'd be mad to restrict a 125.

You say it's the law.

I say the likelihood of you getting caught is so vanishingly small that it's moot.

You quote someone who was caught and then claim the moral highground because there is a legal component in play

I say 'fucking hell, so you don't do anything illegal ever then?"

For the purposes of supporting the argument, you claim that this is the case, or else claim that this is an unusual circumstance, one in which you would be stupid to ignore, or else would entail fantastically harsh and long lasting reprecussions should you fail to comply.....

Etc etc etc

I think if someone had convinced me to ride round on a CG125 for two fucking years I wouldn't be shaking their hand and thanking them right now. Additionally, I think my totally legit NSR125 is still out there, being totally legit on L plates.

It was made in about 1990. The cops are taking their sweet time in bringing it to justice.

They've got a team on it. They're working shifts.

i'm a fat lad, 125 is reasonable. to be fair, 4 days a week my commute is 3 miles, and for that its perfect. the one day a week i need to hit the north circular...less so.

i've had a CG125 for about 18 months and its been exactly what youd expect, dull and very reliable. knocked over, attempted stolen, all fixed for fuck all. cheap, easy to maintain, 90mpg minimum.

having said all that, defo need to pull my finger out (of the crisp packet) and sort the proper test, theory is done.

Blog Entries

Dull and cheap is absolutely fine for lots of people.

I've no problem with dull and cheap.

Its not how I do things though, and I rage against the establishment of a world in which dull and cheap is accepted as the only legitimate path, and that other roads are censured by the pen pushers, bean counters and frilly boys.

Unecessary and inappropriate! I say....unecessary and inappropriate. And expensive....and potentially disastrous (with hindsight).

Its not how I do things though, and I rage against the establishment of a world in which dull and cheap is accepted as the only legitimate path, and that other roads are censured by the pen pushers, bean counters and frilly boys.
    True, you can crash a shit bike just as easily as something a bit flash.

Blog Entries

Load of stuff
    OK, here's my piece.

The only reason to derestrict a 125 is to make it quicker. Every copper knows how fast a 125 should go, so using the derestriction increases your chance of being caught. Now, here's the rub. You probably WILL lose your licence for it.

1 - speeding.
    2 - No licence - riding outside of the terms of your licence means that you do not have one whilst riding.
    3 - No insurance - I would say that its a material fact and you have lied to get the insurance. Ergo utterly invalid, and I would hit you for no insurance.

I don't think it would be a stretch for the court to take your licence away, and the vehicle and crush it.

All for an extra 20mph. Seriously?

I had a dtr125 and whilst I wouldn't rush to buy another it fit my6'5" frame ok. Virtually any other 125 trailie type will prolly fit the bill. None of them are exactly exciting after the first few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fazerdaze View Post
    I know most people say 'Don't buy Chinese', and in the past I would have been one of them, but 3 people where I work have all recently bought Keeway bikes. Two of them over 6 foot tall went for the Keeway Superlight 125, and the younger lad opted for the TX125. The two older gentlemen 29 and 40+ with the Superlights say they're good bikes for the money, especially if you're working to a time plan and intend to progress before the warranty runs out. The younger lad with the TX thrashes the tits off it and hasn't killed it yet (6 months).
    Yebbut, the three of those bikes will be worth FA in 2 years, whereas a used CG125 would have held most of what you paid for it.

To the OP - the Lexmoto for £1299 is someone taking you for a ride, or trying to.
    Lexmoto | Arrow 125 | HT125-4F | Lexmoto Motorcycles | 125cc Motorcycles | Leaner Legal Motorcycles | Arrow | 125

RRP is £849 inc VAT but + OTR. The OTR cost on this type of machine is never £450!!

Get a varadero 125. It will cost you more, but you'll get the money back when you're done with it. Either that or a bigger scooter like a burgman 125 if you don't mind a scooter. The Hyosung 125 is also a good size since it's the same as the 250 and near the same as the 650, and these Korean bikes seem to be OK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission