TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Wot bike for a beginner?

Liked 1,171 in 747 posts

Default Wot bike for a beginner?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Ride a Fireblade on the road, ride mtb's regularly off road, toying with getting an off road bike to lark around on in Winter. So what's best for a noob? Will want to ride to trails, live in Chippenham, always see off roaders in Shrewton and round the plain, so not too far, but needs to be road legal. Budget around 1k. Oh and where does one see maps for trails round the plain, that one up there ^^ the link is dead.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 13 in 10 posts

Default Re: Wot bike for a beginner?

Don't think you're going to get much for a couple of monkeys, but if your lucky enough to find a tatty EXC200 that would be an excellent tool.

Really Bored
    Liked 393 in 204 posts

Don't go too big, a common mistake. Just because you ride a blade doesn't mean you need lots of power off road.

A two stroke would be cheapest and easiest for a beginner, look for something like suggested above.

Liked 760 in 503 posts
    Blog Entries

DRZ400 lots of them about and big enough for the ride to the venue.

Liked 7,174 in 4,043 posts

I reckon you could get an ok DRZ400 for 1500, a 1k one is going to be a dog.

I like the little strokers, but stuff like the KDX220R need premix (which is a ball ache) and the 200's are all a bit long in the tooth for 2t's,

For a grand you'll probably get... Yam 225 Serrow (4T), older CRM250 (2T), KLX250/300 (4T), a single cam DR250/350 or a twincam DR250, you might even find an older XR400 in that price range.

For that budget i'd stick Japanese and go for a plodder not a proper competition Enduro, until you decide you like it (I'd stay away from WR's too as at that price they're going to be a ticking timebomb).

So.. up the budget and get a DRZ400 or an XR400 if you like kickstarting.

If you only have a grand, get a jap 250 like a KLX or a DR.

All imho, I'm sure someone will be along soon to say a 1k Katoom would be just as reliable.

For your viewing pleasure, the fun you can have on a 20bhp DR250S...

Liked 1,171 in 747 posts

Cheers guys, no Panigale KFB? Slacking

Gives me some bikes to look at, i say a grand, but i 'm hovering around there as i've never had an off road bike before, and don't really want to dive in too deep.

Liked 7,174 in 4,043 posts

A lot depends where you want to ride, in woods and mud and technical stuff you want a nice, low powered, light bike. For faster more open unmade roads you want a nice 400+.

Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 2,252 in 1,312 posts
    Blog Entries

Xr250.

Deleted on Request

Most 2nd hand enduro bikes over 5 years old cost 1-2k. At 1k you'll be buying at the absolute bottom of the market, Wait until you've got 1500, then the market opens up.

As a novice off-roader myself, i've alway found smaller 4Ts to be much easier to ride thn smaller 2Ts. As suggested, a DR400Z would be a good bet. Easy to ride ( a fairly steady 30bhp), plentiful, wih reasonable service intervals and has handy stuff like electric start and an ignition key. It will also work well on the road sections.

If you want something a bit more serious and 2T for that kind of money, then a KTM200EXC or GasGas EC200 should be available in reasonable condition for less than 1500. They're "proper" off-roaders though, so will be horrible on the road and won't have proper lights etc.

Again, you'll make life a lot easier for yourself if you find another 500. If you buy one of the popular brands, you'll get 90% of your money back when you sell it.

Liked 73 in 51 posts

You'd get a gas gas 200 for that, a little easier than its ktm counterpart to handle but usefully lighter than a drz, won't be great on the road but tbh nothing with the knobblies you'll be wanting for the clayslip of the plains in winter will be

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Buy cheap incase you don't like off roading.get old dt or mtx field bike and see wot ya think

Not Much To Do
    Liked 204 in 119 posts

Another vote for a Serow (225). Small, light, simple, common, robust, and surprisingly capable. See how many of them compete in trials like Lands End, Edinburgh etc. You can get a reasonable one for 1000 and have lots of fun while you're learning.

13. The following user liked this post made by Wossname:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission